DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying in my head that's what I remembered happening.

I know they worked around the horn a bit, but no one on one Taker/Berserker match exists on tape, right? I know there's a tag or two out there. @EricR?

I think Taker/Warrior vs. Papa Shango/Berzerker made it to a Coliseum release. Warrior was really forgiving. I wouldn't be teaming with a guy that tried to suffocate me by locking me in a casket. Papa Shango's curse really messed up Warrior's head...worse than it already was.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

2004 G-1 is a fantastically brutal G-1 Climax. You got young Shibata(who is the least stiffest), Tenryu(Who needs to kick everybody square in the forehead, and shoot punch people so hard in the nut sack that they end up tapping them on the belly with said balls), Takayama, and Sasaki(Who wrestled so stiffly that Takayama had a stroke). It’s truly a must see in pure wrestling entertainment. The only two disappointments is I can’t find every match in full, since the only thing available to tape traders was the comp tapes that cut down some of the outsider wrestlers matches. It still doesn’t hurt the quality of the matches(actually it might have even helped), but still might upset purest. Also the finals are a little disappointing, because some have speculated that Takayama was going to be one of the finalist. So because of political reasons Tanahasi, and Tenzan wrestled a repeat of their match from earlier in the tournament.

This kind of shooty stiffness really galls me. It is shite when low level garbage workers beat the crap out of each other because they can't work properly, but for trained workers with a philosophy of "honor" it makes it worse than your indy geek show in a high school gym. I paid to be worked, dammit, and am proud to admit it. Learn your craft, tough guys, or move to the octagon.

- RAF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on Shibata have never changed: pretend shoot fighter who stiffed everyone failed embarrassingly at being a legit shootfighter so went back to pretending to be a shootfighter in a worked setting and did himself a mischief by working stiff (not snug) at the expense of his health. Thus:

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Pete pinned this topic
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:23 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying in my head that's what I remembered happening.

I know they worked around the horn a bit, but no one on one Taker/Berserker match exists on tape, right? I know there's a tag or two out there. @EricR?

There was Berzerker/Papa Shango vs. Taker/Ultimate Warrior (but Berzerker mostly pairs off with Warrior, and it's great), and Flair/Berzerker vs. Taker/Savage (which I also remember having mostly Flair/Taker pairings). BUT, I'm pretty sure there is a Berzerker/Taker match on an Undertaker Coliseum Video. I have the tape, haven't watched it, so it could just be the awesome sword match that set up their house show run. I've kind of been saving it as I like knowing there's potentially a Berzerker match on this VHS that I haven't seen, and that VHS is just staring at me, right next to my TV. It's weirdly more exciting to me not knowing what match COULD be on that tape. Maybe I'll wait to watch that tape when I turn 40 (24 months away!) so if it turns out to be the Superstars match, it won't be as disappointing because I will have already spent the day confronting my own journey closer towards death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious how those who dislike Shibata feel about Battlarts. Ikeda and Ishikawa were punting each other in the head, punching each other in the mouth and headbutting each other into bloody pulps. There's also guys like Vader and Hansen who were extremely stiff, worked very physical styles and even got overly reckless in the ring and injured guys (Joe Thurman's back, Vader's eye, etc). Not exactly the same, but you get the point.

On his MMA run -- Due to being a former New Japan wrestler, he got thrown to the wolves somewhat and was put in fights he had no right to be in -- Ralek, Saku, Sexyama and Mach. That's a ridiculous list of opponents for any MMA rookie. He also scored a massive win over Minowaman who is a JMMA icon. Izumi, Young Choi (Ryouji Sai's brother) and Nakanishi are relatively unknown to non hardcore MMA fans, but they are top regional Japanese fighters in their respective divisions so there's really no shame in losing to them. Heck, even fighting Ryuta was ridiculous as Shibata had about 10 fights then against fighters he had no right to be in the ring against and Ryuta was already a vet with over 40 fights.

Shibata didn't even have a super high level background in amateur wrestling to fall back on like some guys. He just did it in general. He's not Nakamura, Yano, Nagata, Nakanishi or especially Tamon Honda or anything. (Honda has a MAJORLY legit background in that sport even if he didn't win anything at the Olympics)

22 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

This kind of shooty stiffness really galls me. It is shite when low level garbage workers beat the crap out of each other because they can't work properly, but for trained workers with a philosophy of "honor" it makes it worse than your indy geek show in a high school gym. I paid to be worked, dammit, and am proud to admit it. Learn your craft, tough guys, or move to the octagon.

- RAF

Rev you are doing yourself a disservice for ragging on that G-1 Climax. If stiffness bugs you, then you can watch Nishimura work his ass off by having these brilliant G-1 matches where the idea is that he’ll either wear his opponent down enough to pin him, or settle for a draw to get a point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Shibata didn't even have a super high level background in amateur wrestling to fall back on like some guys. He just did it in general. He's not Nakamura, Yano, Nagata, Nakanishi or especially Tamon Honda or anything. (Honda has a MAJORLY legit background in that sport even if he didn't win anything at the Olympics)

And Ryan brings up another excellent point.

Also, Honda was great. His work deserves more appreciation.

The Orient Express were part of two underrated gems at the Royal Rumble.

vs. The Rockers in 1991

Related image

vs. the New Foundation in 1992

I wish the New Foundation lasted longer. Friggin' Anvil getting fired again and again

Image result for royal rumble elimination gif

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

And Ryan brings up another excellent point.

Also, Honda was great. His work deserves more appreciation.

Outside of his late career-ish run with Kobashi from like 2002-2004, is this true? And even then he was wildly inconsistent and could be relied on for putting out some really bad matches. So weird that such a high level athlete looked awkward and uncoordinated as hell on the regular. 

Image result for tamon honda dead end

gif%2B%25289%2529.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Outside of his late career-ish run with Kobashi from like 2002-2004, is this true? And even then he was wildly inconsistent and could be relied on for putting out some really bad matches. So weird that such a high level athlete looked awkward and uncoordinated as hell on the regular. 

Image result for tamon honda dead end

gif%2B%25289%2529.gif

I don't have a list on hand or anything to post specific matches, but I remember always enjoying his grappling exchanges and throws from those early Noah shows from that 2000 - 2004 run.