DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Any thoughts on Bosch? It started a little slow for me but I really got into it. About to finish season 4.

Titus  Welliver does a tremendous job portraying the old grizzled veteran cop who’s been to hell and back. I legitmatory felt sorry did him through different parts of the show. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thibs said:

Is this on USA?

Yes though probably not till summer since it seems like it won't start till Suits ends and Suits season doesnt start till the end of March

• Like 1

I like Bosch. Season one was kinda shaky. The police made every mistake in the book letting that fucker escape and the manhunt afterwards was pretty halfhearted. All so we could get a cliche game of cat-and-mouse with a serial killer, a trope that sucks when it's done poorly. But I was told to stick with it and it was worth it. Made for a fun binge.

Only thing I dislike about Bosch is that production on season five kept Welliver from appearing in the Deadwood movie. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thibs said:

Any thoughts on Bosch? It started a little slow for me but I really got into it. About to finish season 4.

Titus  Welliver does a tremendous job portraying the old grizzled veteran cop who’s been to hell and back. I legitmatory felt sorry did him through different parts of the show. 

I enjoyed the show, but a part of me couldn't separate the fact that if he was a real cop and not a TV character I'd be horrified at his very existence.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That first season is going to be really hard to top. Easily one of the best if not the best first season of TV I've seen just for how consistently good it was, for how much it subverted my expectations, and for turning what you think is a comedy on its surface into an incredibly heavy half hour of TV.

Jussie Smollett from Empire was violently attacked last night in Chicago by 2 men wearing... those hats.  

The details are horrific and very, very likely racially & homophobia-based.    He's been hospitalized but will be fine.   Chicago PD is investigating. 

• Sad 2

My British comedy venture has moved onto another show called The Detectorists. It's about two friends without much in common beyond both being avid vans of trying to find artifacts via metal detectors. It's like if you took the tone of The Great British Bake Off but made it into an offbeat comedy. Well-drawn characters in a singularly unique setting will always work. It's a really lovely, slow-burning show. (One of the co-stars was Garreth from The Office, too.)

On 1/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like Bosch. Season one was kinda shaky. The police made every mistake in the book letting that fucker escape and the manhunt afterwards was pretty halfhearted. All so we could get a cliche game of cat-and-mouse with a serial killer, a trope that sucks when it's done poorly. But I was told to stick with it and it was worth it. Made for a fun binge.

Only thing I dislike about Bosch is that production on season five kept Welliver from appearing in the Deadwood movie. 

I think the police incompetence in that whole deal was done to get Bosch over. Especially the where Bosch said “fuck that” to letting them take the ankle locks off the dude. And then of course he escapes. 

6 hours ago, Thibs said:

I think the police incompetence in that whole deal was done to get Bosch over. Especially the where Bosch said “fuck that” to letting them take the ankle locks off the dude. And then of course he escapes. 

"Get Bosch over"? His attitude as a guy who always gets his man no matter what is enough to do that. I don't need everyone around him to be completely brain dead.

I tend not to enjoy shows where bumbling incompetence is the only thing that makes a plot work. It's why I find Westworld such a chore. But that's not to say I don't enjoy shows with stupid characters. Quite a few board favourites have many wonderfully empty-headed fools (Sopranos, Wire, Parks and Rec, The Office, etc.). But those shows make more out of the stupidity than just moving a bad plot along because a minor character is wildly incompetent.

And now, for the enjoyment of the class, an example of someone being stupid in the good way:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"Get Bosch over"? His attitude as a guy who always gets his man no matter what is enough to do that. I don't need everyone around him to be completely brain dead.

I tend not to enjoy shows where bumbling incompetence is the only thing that makes a plot work. It's why I find Westworld such a chore. But that's not to say I don't enjoy shows with stupid characters. Quite a few board favourites have many wonderfully empty-headed fools (Sopranos, Wire, Parks and Rec, The Office, etc.). But those shows make more out of the stupidity than just moving a bad plot along because a minor character is wildly incompetent.

And now, for the enjoyment of the class, an example of someone being stupid in the good way:

One of the funniest Justified moments ever. Dim Roman Reigns was awesomely dumb.

Gosh...Does Justified have the most good dumb characters? Choo Choo, Stevie, Wynn Duffy, Dewey, Dickie, and way more that I'm not remembering. I mean, it's set...IN THE DEEEEEEEP DARK HILLS of eastern Kentucky, so you're not going to get a ton of savvy characters.

Ah, this must be my monthly "I wish Justified would come back" moment.

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Talking about great dumb characters from Justified, and no one mentioned Coover...it's like you didn't even watch the show.

I didn't think about Coover because...man...I kinda felt bad for him.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:26 AM, RIPPA said:

The Bridges thing is for a Super Bowl commercial - don't get your hopes up

It's a Stella Artois commercial also featuring Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw.