DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Since they're going balls out like this, I'd like to see them really go whole-hog and do "Home Delivery" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes. THAT would be an accomplishment.

EDIT: Apparently "Home Delivery" was optioned and in pre-production back in '09. It's been ten years, just sayin'...

Watched both Netflix's Fyre and Hulu's Fyre Fraud over the past two days, the documentaries about the music festival disaster from two years ago.  Both are excellent and I highly recommend watching them both.  Netflix's is more thorough but Hulu spends more time on the man responsible, Billy McFarland, even getting an interview with him which probably was not in his best interests...

Watch the Netflix one first, then watch the Hulu one.  It's pretty impressive how little overlap there is in footage.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

well now I have to get shudder

I think I'm gonna get it too after checking out what they have available. Not only all that great horror (specifically some films I either don't own or only have on VHS) but a pile of yakuza films that I most definitely don't have. Plus the fucking Joe Bob stuff is still up!

Both the Fyre documentaries are great. I was/am obsessed with Fyre Festival so I am the target market. 

It is really cool because both have a lot of the same footage and people but they are completely different narratives.

I also love how petty the documentary feud is. Squabbling documentarian crews dropping their product the same week — one unannounced — and spilling beans over who paid for what production and who paid for Billy to appear is very much on brand.

• Like 1

I just finished both seasons of This  Country. I will put it on par with anything that has ever been on television. Like — it is at the same level as The Office(s), Friday Night Lights, The Wire, The Sopranos, Broad City, etc.

It is an all-time classic. I laughed out loud more times at that show than anything I have in years. But it also has this really dark and bleak turn. Like... remember when Tim takes off the microphone in The Office UK? Think that but way heavier.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:29 AM, Raziel said:

Every time I watch The Orville, I continue to be amazed that Seth McFarland made one of the best Star Trek series around.

It's really wild. I'm sure the new Trek you have to subscribe to an ap that has nothing else I'm interested in is just fine. But The Orville is right there for the Trek I want. That last episode was great. I love how they just drop in classic Trek shit into a blender mixed with "Why wouldn't people in the future know about Kermit or like Billy  Joel?" The tiny plot point of two people angry at each other having to climb a mountain to send a distress signal was right out of a DS9 episode with Odo and Quark. But nothing comes off as a rip off, it's an homage. The Orville is just outstanding, and if there's any Trek fans out there who are  gun shy because it's a Seth McFarlane show? Give it a try, it's outstanding Trek.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

(...) I'm sure the new Trek you have to subscribe to an ap that has nothing else I'm interested in is just fine. (...)

No, it's not. I was watching the first episode of season 2 of Discovery yesterday and that thing was soooooo boring. I don't know why I am still watching Discovery, at this point it reaches hate-watching levels. There has been boring Star Trek in the past, but then it was filler episodes that looked like they did not cost much to produce. This one was the season start and looked expensive as hell. There are no characters worth emotionally being invested in (hell, there are hardly any fleshed out characters at all) and the story is just a whole lot of nothing. I have hoped with the Klingon bullshit gone, the series would improve but nope. The season preview clipshow at the end looked even worse than this episode which is saying much.

I just went thru all of Future Man this weekend and it is great. I watched the first episode last year and dismissed it. I thought it was a sci fi slacker comedy. But it ended up being so much heart and the funny moments crack me up. It is the best show created for streaming I have ever seen, tied with Cobra Kai. I recommend watching it.

16 hours ago, driver said:

As I am a proud Hoosier, born and bred, I will not take offense at those comments. One town that creeps me out is Kokomo.

Co-signed. Kokomo is bad for a number of reasons. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

It's really wild. I'm sure the new Trek you have to subscribe to an ap that has nothing else I'm interested in is just fine. But The Orville is right there for the Trek I want. That last episode was great. I love how they just drop in classic Trek shit into a blender mixed with "Why wouldn't people in the future know about Kermit or like Billy  Joel?" The tiny plot point of two people angry at each other having to climb a mountain to send a distress signal was right out of a DS9 episode with Odo and Quark. But nothing comes off as a rip off, it's an homage. The Orville is just outstanding, and if there's any Trek fans out there who are  gun shy because it's a Seth McFarlane show? Give it a try, it's outstanding Trek.

I feel like Discovery is a still a work in progress, but I fairly enjoy it.  By contrast, I really disliked the first few eps of the Orville and haven't been back since.  Admittedly, I haven't watched the Orville since about s1 ep 5 and I'm not a Trek fan, so that could color my opinion (in a vacuum, a homage to Star Trek sounds like something I would not enjoy regardless of quality).

I'll probably give Orville another chance at some point.

I haven't watched any of The Orville s2 yet. But series one really seemed to vacillate between being a comedy show that mocks sci-fi tropes, and being  a sci-fi show that freely indulges in those tropes, but happens to have a crew who, rather than being the best and brightest of the Federation (like the Enterprise crew) are mostly goofballs and japesters.

Also, MacFarlane seems like a bit of a twat. It's the same deal with Brooklyn nine nine and Andy Samberg. He's booked as the babyface ace but everyone else on the show has more charisma and likeability.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

I haven't watched any of The Orville s2 yet. But series one really seemed to vacillate between being a comedy show that mocks sci-fi tropes, and being  a sci-fi show that freely indulges in those tropes, but happens to have a crew who, rather than being the best and brightest of the Federation (like the Enterprise crew) are mostly goofballs and japesters.

Also, MacFarlane seems like a bit of a twat. It's the same deal with Brooklyn nine nine and Andy Samberg. He's booked as the babyface ace but everyone else on the show has more charisma and likeability.

This.  I only vaguely remember the eps of The Orville that I watched, but they seemed mostly like some sort of sendup of sci-fi shows.  Lot of jokes.  Actually, what sticks out the most is McFarlane's character cracking jokes about being forced to work with his ex-wife.

And, yeah, Andy Samberg definitely feels like he should be the oddball supporting character on Brooklyn 99.

Crashing came back this week on HBO and it was a good start to the season. I liked the growth they showed for Pete as a comedian even if his growth as a human being still lags being. Artie basically saying who gives a shit and lets play racket ball to blow off steam was nice too.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The Orville crew isn't the best and brightest. They are talented, but probably somewhere more in the middle success/status wise aside from a select few. I thought thought S1 found a decent place between comedy and proper trek for the most part. S2 has actually leaned more towards proper Trek.

Haven't caught any of S2 yet, but I enjoyed S1 of Discovery. It definitely feels like a work in progress, but I thought it improved as the season went on and gave more attention to the rest of the crew. I actually think the weakest part of Discovery is the lead in Burnham. The actress isn't particularly charismatic, and her characters is just a bit too bland.

Right now between Discovery and Orville, I would definitely say Orville is the better show, but I like both a decent deal.

3 hours ago, Hand-Drawn Sprite Man said:

It's the same deal with Brooklyn nine nine and Andy Samberg. He's booked as the babyface ace but everyone else on the show has more charisma and likeability.

This feels like hyperbole to me. The only ones with more charisma to me are Holt, Terry, Rosa, & Gina. And Gina isn't all that likeable. Neither are Hitchcock and Scully. Amy and Charles run a decent bit between likeable and annoying. I actually like all of the cast, but none of the characters are the best for a flat out lead. Sandberg's Jake just comes the closest. Its best as an ensemble.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Haven't caught any of S2 yet, but I enjoyed S1 of Discovery. It definitely feels like a work in progress, but I thought it improved as the season went on and gave more attention to the rest of the crew. I actually think the weakest part of Discovery is the lead in Burnham. The actress isn't particularly charismatic, and her characters is just a bit too bland.

I am not sure if I would blame the actress. Vulcans in Star Trek have been way more often on the "miss" side (I realize that the character is actually human, but the character is represented in mostly acting like a Vulcan). Which other regular characters are on the show that are worth a damn? Saru is decent and Stamets is okay. Tilly is just annoying and I there is that woman at helm whose only character is that she looks like some Borg-reject.

Regarding the Orville discussion: the first couple of episodes of the first series were quite heavy on Star Trek parody, later they tunes it down. Though there are still the occasional scenes and gags that feel more like Futurama than Star Trek.

44 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I am not sure if I would blame the actress. Vulcans in Star Trek have been way more often on the "miss" side (I realize that the character is actually human, but the character is represented in mostly acting like a Vulcan). Which other regular characters are on the show that are worth a damn? Saru is decent and Stamets is okay. Tilly is just annoying and I there is that woman at helm whose only character is that she looks like some Borg-reject.

Even during Walking Dead she never really showed much compared to the rest of the cast. He playing a character with so many Vulcan characteristics was just not a great idea. I liked Stamets, Phillipa, the Captain while he was around, and even Tilly to an extent.