DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, driver said:

I DON'T KNOW!
/cue slime

First episodes that I saw were '82/'83 ish. Moose and Lisa were the ones that caught my attention.

I still remember my mind being blown when I was looking at Nick nostalgia sites in the late 90s and found out that it had run for five years in Canada before getting picked up for the US

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wow! If that's the last episode of Crashing, then it was one hell of a series finale. It couldn't have been more perfect than that. 

Totally. As bummed as I am that it's done, that was amazing. It's kind of bonkers how it was accidentally a great series finale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Totally. As bummed as I am that it's done, that was amazing. It's kind of bonkers how it was accidentally a great series finale.

So, I think they knew. There was talk after season 2 that it wasn't going to get picked up for a third season. It's totally conceivable that Judd and Pete figured this would be it and make the season finale more of a series finale and then if it's picked back up, cool, keep moving on.

Blacklist has been officially been picked up for its 7th season

It is unclear if the 7th season will be its last or not as James Spader's deal is up at the end of said 7th season.

Still plenty of time though...

23 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I still remember my mind being blown when I was looking at Nick nostalgia sites in the late 90s and found out that it had run for five years in Canada before getting picked up for the US

A few years back there were complete episodes of almost every season, including some of the Canuckian only episodes, up on Youtube.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Blacklist has been officially been picked up for its 7th season

It is unclear if the 7th season will be its last or not as James Spader's deal is up at the end of said 7th season.

Still plenty of time though...

Storywise it jumped the shark a looong time ago and only remains watchable due to Spader.

• Like 2

For anyone that watches the channel, or has a significant other that religiously watches the channel, especially from November to After Valentine's Day, Hallmark has terminated the contract of Lori Laughlin, unsuprisingly.

But did they send her a card as notice?

Relatedly, but not really "current TV"-ish, if the next season of Bojack Horseman doesn't make an utterly vicious joke at Felicity Huffman's expense, I will be disappointed.  At least, for however long it takes me to go in the kitchen and make dinner.  More likely they will make a vicious joke and then have Bojack do something similar but even more egregious.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, J.H. said:

Been rewatching Dallas on Freedive and it is interesting charting the progression of how the show went from focusing on Bobby & Pam (and Bobby v. JR) in season 1to focusing on Sue Ellen and developing her character more fully. Season 1 Sue Ellen seems more like window dressing than an actual character but then season 2 hits and so much Sue Ellen character development happens. 

You also get to see Ray Krebbs go from dude messing around with Lucy to a genuinely stand up dude (of ocurse once they reveal Ray is Jock's son forget ever mentioning how Lucy was messing around with her UNCLE!). I think my favorite character is Jock  because he is hard ass wit heverybody except Miss Ellie. I mean Jock takes shit from no one. Not Bobbt, not JR and he isn't having any of Lucy's nonsense.

And Hey, Cliff Barnes started off as pretty honest dude before taking te Barnes/Ewing feud to the depth of insanity.

Man Dallas was good soapy fun. I'm starting on the first season of Dynasty but that might be more for the whole "Lookit that Pamela Sue Martin" factor than it actually being compelling

James

When we lived in Germany, we had a satellite TV setup that would pick up channels from the UK. Not long after we got there and got set up, CBS Drama (one of a few different UK CBS channels) started from Season 1, Episode 1 of Dallas and played the entire series straight through. An episode every Monday through Friday.

Did the same with Knots Landing, which they put on right after Dallas. And then once they played the season finale, they went right back to the first episode and did it again.

I was way too young to appreciate either of those shows when they were originally on, but damn, they were some pretty good fun. I think we saw every episode of both shows at least twice.

The UK version of the Hallmark Channel is out of business. But when it was in business, for a while it would show random episodes of Homicide: Life on the Street every day. So I emailed them and asked if they could show them in order instead. And they didn't respond.

But they did suddenly show season one episode one, followed by episode two, and so on until they'd shown all seven seasons in full, in order (except they moved one ep up a couple of days, so the Valentine's Day* episode aired on Feb 14th, rather than the 16th like it would have if they'd been in order). And seasons six and seven had never aired in the UK before. Then they gave the post-show TV movie it's UK premiere (and indeed, only UK showing ever). And it was all for me~!

* They put together an advert to suggest that people should spend their entire Valentine's evening watching the Hallmark channel. At one point in the valentine's episode of Homicide, Detective Lewis says "Valentine's Day ain't nothing but a Hallmark holiday". Which in the context of the episode was him calling the day out as a fake holiday, but suddenly became an endorsement of the channel he was appearing on instead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

The UK version of the Hallmark Channel is out of business. But when it was in business, for a while it would show random episodes of Homicide: Life on the Street every day. So I emailed them and asked if they could show them in order instead. And they didn't respond.

But they did suddenly show season one episode one, followed by episode two, and so on until they'd shown all seven seasons in full, in order (except they moved one ep up a couple of days, so the Valentine's Day* episode aired on Feb 14th, rather than the 16th like it would have if they'd been in order). And seasons six and seven had never aired in the UK before. Then they gave the post-show TV movie it's UK premiere (and indeed, only UK showing ever). And it was all for me~!

* They put together an advert to suggest that people should spend their entire Valentine's evening watching the Hallmark channel. At one point in the valentine's episode of Homicide, Detective Lewis says "Valentine's Day ain't nothing but a Hallmark holiday". Which in the context of the episode was him calling the day out as a fake holiday, but suddenly became an endorsement of the channel he was appearing on instead.

If this is what the Hallmark Channel is, I wish my cable package had it. 

• Like 1

In late night talk show news - Lilly Singh has been named as the replace for Carson Daly by NBC

1:35 AM EST

Good Lord there is still programming on that late?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Good Lord there is still programming on that late?

Yep.  After two in the morning, it's all late night / early morning nat6ional news until about five when the local news is on until the morning talks fire up at seven.

It is the white noise that keeps us awake when we are on graveyard shift.

Edited by J.T.

Seconding the hype for Love, Death, and Robots. A lot of these episodes are like stories Philip K. Dick never wrote. Some of the others make me think of how much better Black Mirror could be if the episodes were a decent length.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Seconding the hype for Love, Death, and Robots. A lot of these episodes are like stories Philip K. Dick never wrote. Some of the others make me think of how much better Black Mirror could be if the episodes were a decent length.

Third the hype.  I am a sucker for sci-fi / horror anthology shows anyway so LDR is must see programming.

Edited by J.T.