DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Colbert did a bit on R. Kelly and it looked like they cut him prior to air. As far as us "all being on the same page", I mean as in "we all agree R. Kelly is a fucking psycho pederast". If you see that footage and still want to defend him you've got issues.

Gayle King is gonna be on Colbert tonight btw

Edited by Curt McGirt

The latest The Orville episode might have been the best of this season yet. The story was as classic Star Trek as it gets:

Spoiler

Officer meets old friend, old friend does not believe in the new policy, the old enemies always have to be enemies, loyalties are being tested and questioned etc. It might not be on the Maquis level, but mostly because they told the story in one episode (thereby rushing it a bit) instead of stretching it out. Maybe they even will go into that direction.

There was some earlier stuff of this season that was a bit hit and miss (too much Moclan stuff, using one race both for comic-relief/Klingon-rites-parody as well as investigating sociological issues, just does not work; the romance between the doctor and Isaac also did not really work for me, it went too far too fast, seemed to be a big stretch and was not necessary for the Kaylon two-parter), but they seem to be on a run with the last three episodes right now.

7 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm bummed. Crashing is one of my favorite shows.

Same here. I really like it. There's a lot of heart in it and a lot more to explore. 

Fucking HBO. Stop canceling the low key shit I love like Togetherness and Crashing. 

• Like 1

So I just found Pop Arena's "Nick Knacks" series on Youtube, a series of short retrospectives (well, mostly short) on every Nickelodeon show from launch thru 82.  For the shows from which no footage survives in 79-80 he talks about the people who made them and goes off on occasional weird tangents, and the whole thing is very cool.  I haven't yet set aside the ninety minutes necessary for the You Can't Do That episode (the next-longest is Tomorrow People at 40m, but the majority are 20m or less) but just seeing that I didn't hallucinate Video Comics or By The Way has made me happy.  Here's the first episode about a show (001 is about Warner's experimental QUBE cable system which provided most of the staff for the first few Nick originals)

• Like 2

Pinwheel. Damn. Used to watch that after school. 

And then midway through elementary school, I discovered that ESPN showed Global, so my friends and I watched that. 

GI Joe was in the for after school watching, but the less said about that Shipwreck episode in Springfield, the two parter, the better. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Pinwheel. Damn. Used to watch that after school. 

And then midway through elementary school, I discovered that ESPN showed Global, so my friends and I watched that. 

GI Joe was in the for after school watching, but the less said about that Shipwreck episode in Springfield, the two parter, the better. 

aside from maybe "The Traitor", all the season 1 two-parters are total mindfucks.  Clutch, Grunt and Steeler finding their alternate-Earth corpses in "Worlds Without End" still freaks me out.

The YCDTOTV episode of Knick Knacks is pretty engrossing though the supercut of all the instances of skits featuring drag to discuss how it makes Roger Price seem like a creep felt a bit much. I was just entering my teens in 85 and had already been watching YCDTOTV and can say with 96% certainty that Christine McGlade was my first TV crush . It never onnce dawned on me just how important that show was to Nickelodeon but it isn't unfair to say without it Nick wouldn't be the powerhouse it was now (I mean do we really get the Nick game show boom of the early 90s without You Can't Do That On Television?)

James

• Like 1

Been rewatching Dallas on Freedive and it is interesting charting the progression of how the show went from focusing on Bobby & Pam (and Bobby v. JR) in season 1to focusing on Sue Ellen and developing her character more fully. Season 1 Sue Ellen seems more like window dressing than an actual character but then season 2 hits and so much Sue Ellen character development happens. 

You also get to see Ray Krebbs go from dude messing around with Lucy to a genuinely stand up dude (of ocurse once they reveal Ray is Jock's son forget ever mentioning how Lucy was messing around with her UNCLE!). I think my favorite character is Jock  because he is hard ass wit heverybody except Miss Ellie. I mean Jock takes shit from no one. Not Bobbt, not JR and he isn't having any of Lucy's nonsense.

And Hey, Cliff Barnes started off as pretty honest dude before taking te Barnes/Ewing feud to the depth of insanity.

Man Dallas was good soapy fun. I'm starting on the first season of Dynasty but that might be more for the whole "Lookit that Pamela Sue Martin" factor than it actually being compelling

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dynasty was no where near as good as Dallas was.  Actually, for all the Rich People doing shitty Rich People things shows from the 80's, Dallas is pretty much far and away the best of all of them.

No lie!

4 episodes deep on Dynasty but it isn't nearly as good and none of the characters pop that much. I guess it really took Joan Collins showing up to make it work.

I think one of those things I find interesting about Dallas is that South Fork is like its own little nation state that the local authorities don't mess with unless something really bad happens and one of the Ewings is impliczted. I mran hell, JR pretty much gets his own posse together with Rey and a few ranch hands to takeout the people who kidnap Bobby. The Copsand FBI tell them not to take the law into their own hands but they do and the cops and FBI are just like "eh, it's South Fork, better to just leave it alone".

The first 2 seasons are also fun for "spot that character actor" as we get Brian Dennehy for an episode and whole lotta Tina Louise, who looks pretty damn great and this is more than a decade since Gilligan's Island got cancelled

James

• Like 1

I've watched half of After Life so far and don't really know what to think of it.  It's definitely Ricky Gervais' least funny show, but given the material, that isn't any kind of surprise.  There is a part of me that feels like this is what Andy Millman's "great, groundbreaking, challenging TV show" would have been, other than it not actually doing any of those things. Hopefully there's more Ashley Jensen in the second half, and that the side characters feel like less of a waste.

Edited by Contentious C

Shameless finally got rid of Emmy Rossum last night. TBH I don't know if I'm even interested in watching without her, there isn't a character as compelling in the rest of the cast when you step back and look at it. Frank being typically shitty to her on the way out might have been a poor move on their part too. I mean it should have been expected, but him finally showing a hint of actual caring for his oldest in that moment could've been nice. Even him being all "you're dropping the ball on us" might've been better then him just saying "you did good" while she was on her way out the door. Ehhh. Oh well, I forgot that one of the kids was even in jail, obviously the show doesn't have much left for me at this point. 

19 hours ago, J.H. said:

The YCDTOTV episode of Knick Knacks is pretty engrossing though the supercut of all the instances of skits featuring drag to discuss how it makes Roger Price seem like a creep felt a bit much. I was just entering my teens in 85 and had already been watching YCDTOTV and can say with 96% certainty that Christine McGlade was my first TV crush . It never once dawned on me just how important that show was to Nickelodeon but it isn't unfair to say without it Nick wouldn't be the powerhouse it was now (I mean do we really get the Nick game show boom of the early 90s without You Can't Do That On Television?)

James

I DON'T KNOW!
/cue slime

First episodes that I saw were '82/'83 ish. Moose and Lisa were the ones that caught my attention.