DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If people that hire her can't discern the difference between her brother's actions and her ability, they are pieces of shit. 

I don't disagree, but dumbasses will rush to judge and a good name is worth almost everything when you're in show business.

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I don't disagree, but dumbasses will rush to judge and a good name is worth almost everything when you're in show business.

Now I wouldn't break out a Malcolm X quote to defend my siblings (but hey, blood is thicker than water), but it would be pretty malicious and vindictive to go after the family members of irresponsible people. No one is trying to end the career of Scarlett Johansson because she had dinner with Woody Allen. Don't go after Jurnee Smollett-Bell because she decided to defend her brother.

I have my own feelings about Hollywood and African-Americans (see my back-and-forth with @MADCAP during that Oscars thread years back for some of it if you can find it), but if black people have to play the "game" like a petulant, unrepentant sellout like Steve Harvey declared in his argument w/ Mo'Nique, that progress in the entertainment industry is nothing more than a facade.

• Like 1

I'm two episodes in on Umbrella Academy and I'm loving it. I've read and seen lots of takes on the X-Men concept, and this is my favorite. Creepy old man collects children to train them to fight evil is really the basis of X-Men, especially the original 1960's team. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now I wouldn't break out a Malcolm X quote to defend my siblings (but hey, blood is thicker than water), but it would be pretty malicious and vindictive to go after the family members of irresponsible people. No one is trying to end the career of Scarlett Johansson because she had dinner with Woody Allen. Don't go after Jurnee Smollett-Bell because she decided to defend her brother.

You are preaching to the choir, man.  I'm not the one you have to convince.

I have made similar statements when talking about Us, Get Out, and the new black horror thing.  I do not like the idea that it is suddenly okay for there to be predominantly black casts in horror films just because Get Up took off.  It's always been okay. It's just that no one has been brave enough to do it until now.

Blacks are mostly cast in comedies and weekend afternoon drama bullshit on Aspire or BET because that is the genre we've been shoehorned in.  

One of the best vampire stories ever committed to film was Ganja & Hess and there is a pretty awesome vampire story in Blacula that is so burdened by bullshit that it is a fucking shame.  

Jordan Peele is already using his black horror street cred to shoot a re-image of Candyman so it is my hope that he will resurrect Prince Mamuwalde from the ashes of Blacula and give that character the movie he deserves.

I highly recommend checking out the documentary, Horror Noire.  It is tragically enlightening.

I could dig up the Wire thread, again, but why bother. So Donnell Rawlings was on Joe Rogan's podcast and they talked some about the Wire. I may have misheard him, but he said a lot of people don't know this, but the Baltimore visitors bureau or whatever it's called raised a fuss over the first season because they said it made it look like that's all of Baltimore. So in response, David Simon wrote the second season to be about the dock workers and less about the streets and gangs and all of that and that's why the second season was so different than everything else.

Have any of you heard this before?

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, Technico Support said:

Step one: DON'T CALL IT "BLACULA" ?

The sad thing is that you'd probably still have to use the Victorian era retread for the vampire. 

The closest thing to a vampire in African folklore is the Assanbonsam and those things have hooks for feet and metallic teeth.  They hung on branches in the forest, swept down on lost travelers, and then dragged them away to be drained of blood.

Not nearly as sexy as Stoker's take on the vampire story.

My aunt used to keep me out of the woods when I was a kid by scaring the shit out of me with stories like that.  Every culture on earth had their own set of Do What Your Parents Say Or Die tales, just like every culture on earth has some version of the dragon in their folklore. 

That proves that we're all not so different.

Speaking of ethnic vampire stories I'd love to see turned into movies, I should send Robert Rodriguez a copy of Silvia Moreno-Garcia's Certain Dark Things but I fear that given the current political sentiment towards our Spanish speaking neighbors to the south, it might not be the best time to premier a movie about Mexican drug cartels run by rival Aztec, Mayan, and Incan vampire drug lords..

• Like 2

I was fantasy booking the Blacula remake in my head at work last night. "Idris Elba is... MAMUWALDE RISING" haha

That Baltimore story doesn't sound familiar but it's been awhile since I read All The Pieces Matter, the Wire book. TBH it sounds more apocryphal. I highly doubt Simon gave two shits about what the city thought, unless they threatened to pull his license to shoot on location.

The Daily Show had a riotous skit mocking the Smollett story last night, btw. "I'm the gay Tupac!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

"Co-existance is impossible"

The Orville is so great being a love letter to TNG that doesn't feel like a retread.

Loved last night's episode. I saw it coming for a while now, but it was glorious.

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

Loved last night's episode. I saw it coming for a while now, but it was glorious.

It actually got me by surprise.  I didn't think they were gonna go Borg in Season 2, but the setup was nice when you look back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It actually got me by surprise.  I didn't think they were gonna go Borg in Season 2, but the setup was nice when you look back.

The timing is definitely surprising, but also kind of perfect with how much they had let him in. I think they even mentioned him being so close to being done with his report earlier in the season.

• Like 1

Well, one thing this show does really well is audio cues, and while The Orville was landing, they actually used an arrangement of ST:TMP's soundtrack where the Enterprise was heading into the Vger Cloud, so they telegraphed it in this episode.  But yeah, I saw Issac as Data and not if the Borg managed to reassimilate Seven.

• Like 2

When you look at Gervais recently, and then you look at Fighting With My Family getting the glowing reviews, maybe Merchant was the talented one all along. It's like when Guy Ritchie stopped working with Mathew Vaughn and everyone realised he'd been a talentless hack all along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Well, one thing this show does really well is audio cues, and while The Orville was landing, they actually used an arrangement of ST:TMP's soundtrack where the Enterprise was heading into the Vger Cloud, so they telegraphed it in this episode.  But yeah, I saw Issac as Data and not if the Borg managed to reassimilate Seven.

That is one of the reasons why I love what they did. All of this time the viewer kept thinking of him as a Data or Seven type, but we were always told flat out he just wasn't the same. Isaac was never trying to actually learn emotions for himself so much as gain an understanding of what makes organics tick.

In interviews and whatnot, Stephen Merchant has always come across as the funnier of the two.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of The Umbrella Academy, I think it possibly tries a little bit too hard at times to be quirky and cool but there's enough there to make me keep watching still. I like the little smug time travelling kid at least. 

That being said, Russian Doll should almost certainly be watched by human beings out there. I kinda dig Natasha Lyonne anyway even without her whole dog molesting threatening ways and whatnot.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I could dig up the Wire thread, again, but why bother. So Donnell Rawlings was on Joe Rogan's podcast and they talked some about the Wire. I may have misheard him, but he said a lot of people don't know this, but the Baltimore visitors bureau or whatever it's called raised a fuss over the first season because they said it made it look like that's all of Baltimore. So in response, David Simon wrote the second season to be about the dock workers and less about the streets and gangs and all of that and that's why the second season was so different than everything else.

Have any of you heard this before?

I know, for whatever reason, it's not everyone's cup of tea but the 2nd series of The Wire is one of my favourite series of all time and Chris Bauer as Frank Sobokta is pretty much my favourite one series run of any character ever.