DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I kinda doubt the injury and not being live thing really hurt Rent's ratings as much as it being really incredibly dated did.

A note: I was a theatre kid in the late 90's, and Rent literally has a hardwired spot in my brain. I cannot hear Goodbye Love without getting at least a little emotional.

That said, it's dated in a way shows even 20 years older aren't. The music screams 90's, the plot is so deeply rooted in the AIDS crisis of the late 80's and early 90's, it just is married to it's time and place completely. It's also kinda got a lot of "mature" content, even compared to Grease.

The successful productions of these live shows have been much more in the "timeless family classic" vein.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Modern Family has been renewed for an 11th season

It will also be the final season

I am not looking forward to the freeing up of Ariel Winter's schedule.  She does not need more time to post shamer bait ho photos on her Instagram.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, I figured that you were in old nerd heaven now that Escape or Charge! or one of those hinter networks is showing full seasons of Danger Man and The Avengers.

Are you going to cover the utter mindfuck of John Drake arriving at Portmeirion in the first episode and proclaiming he feels like he's been there before?  It turns Danger Man/The Prisoner into a vicious circle which he'll never be free from.  The reason he quits in the opening of THE PRISONER is he's discovered the truth of the matter, resulting in the cycle resetting.

Just now, Craig H said:

Wow...a spinoff from a movie that's going to be 16 years old this year. Way to jump on that hot property.

Well technically Bad Boys 3 is happening now so you could argue its warming back up

That being said - I think they are downplaying the connection to Bad Boys

Just now, RIPPA said:

Well technically Bad Boys 3 is happening now so you could argue its warming back up

That being said - I think they are downplaying the connection to Bad Boys

I thought about the Bad Boys 3 thing, but as much as I want that movie, I wonder if everyone else has moved on. And it would probably be for the best if they downplayed the connection.

Shameless continues to kill it and I have no idea how they're gonna deal with the blow of Emmy Rossum leaving. Her character's arc this season has been cutting particularly close to the bone and though they're not going to kill her off, whatever they do to send her packing is going to be traumatic. It's crazy watching the intro to the show and realizing just how long the show's been on the air; most of the cast were literally kids when they shot it. Luis Guzman showing up tonight was particularly inspired casting. 

Black Monday is also still ruling. "It's called 'asphyxibation'. I learned it from my friend, the singer of that band... uhhhh, INXS." bwahahahaha

3 hours ago, driver said:

I enjoyed The ABC Murders although there was one scene that made me cringe(and that takes a lot).

Reveal hidden contents

The scene where Lily walked on Cust's back

Well,

Spoiler

Having your back "cracked" in that manner is not necessarily bad for you when done in moderation.  Sometimes a back walker is able to apply more pressure than normal hand massage can and that stimulates blood flow to sore muscles and can relieve pressure in spinal joints.

The problem is that back walking loosens all of the joints in your back; not just the problem ones that are causing you discomfort.  Regular popping of joints can lead to premature wear.  This is why people sometimes develop arthritis in their hands and knees due to excessive wear and tear on their joints thanks to excessive "cracking" or "popping" of these joints.

The proper term for back walking is ashiatsu.  Literally "foot pressure."

Cracking your fingers doesn't cause arthritis.

Several large clinical studies have examined patients with osteoarthritis -- a.k.a. "wear and tear" arthritis, the most common form -- to determine how many of them are "knuckle crackers." Scientists have found no evidence to suggest that people who crack their knuckles have higher rates of arthritis or other bone conditions than those who do not crack their knuckles. In fact, one man used himself as a test case, cracking only the joints on his left hand but not his right. Believe it or not, after more than 60 years of doing this, there was no difference in arthritis between the two hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1