DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Another case of "spend your advertising dollars on making your beer worth drinking".  See also, Heineken.

Coors Light's entire marketing strategy is, "the only reason to drink our beer is that it is cold."  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"Get Bosch over"? His attitude as a guy who always gets his man no matter what is enough to do that. I don't need everyone around him to be completely brain dead.

I tend not to enjoy shows where bumbling incompetence is the only thing that makes a plot work. It's why I find Westworld such a chore. But that's not to say I don't enjoy shows with stupid characters. Quite a few board favourites have many wonderfully empty-headed fools (Sopranos, Wire, Parks and Rec, The Office, etc.). But those shows make more out of the stupidity than just moving a bad plot along because a minor character is wildly incompetent.

And now, for the enjoyment of the class, an example of someone being stupid in the good way:

Wasn’t O’Shea the one that told them to take the cuffs off the guy? I read it as a overbearing asshole blinded by his ambition to be elected DA doing something dumb. And he was always a dick to Bosch so Bosch had something over him now.

The Twilight Zone reboot being done for CBS All Access will premiere on April 1 with two episodes

It will then run new episodes on Thursdays starting April 11

13 hours ago, Thibs said:

Wasn’t O’Shea the one that told them to take the cuffs off the guy? I read it as a overbearing asshole blinded by his ambition to be elected DA doing something dumb. And he was always a dick to Bosch so Bosch had something over him now.

I'm not just talking about all that stupidity. There's also the halfhearted manhunt for a dude who killed someone escaping police custody. Seemingly zero street-level undercover presence to find someone they know targets rentboys. And so on. All to stretch out the worst story the show's had.

Not my cup of tea. Doesn't help that I've watched every episode of the show and still couldn't pick O'Shea out of a lineup. 

• Like 1

I tried getting into Bosch and watched most of season 1, but it's not grabbing me. I only ever see Welliver as "that guy" from SOA and other stuff. There's also something about the presentation that makes me feel like I'm watching some shit that was on WGN near the end of the 90s.

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm not just talking about all that stupidity. There's also the halfhearted manhunt for a dude who killed someone escaping police custody. Seemingly zero street-level undercover presence to find someone they know targets rentboys. And so on. All to stretch out the worst story the show's had.

Not my cup of tea. Doesn't help that I've watched every episode of the show and still couldn't pick O'Shea out of a lineup. 

Fair points. O’Shea’s the one that Bosch goes off on in the restaurant about re-prosecuting the rich chick who killed the priest. And then its caught on camera and goes viral. 

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I tried getting into Bosch and watched most of season 1, but it's not grabbing me. I only ever see Welliver as "that guy" from SOA and other stuff. There's also something about the presentation that makes me feel like I'm watching some shit that was on WGN near the end of the 90s.

Probably the intro music. That’s the charm of it, though, at least for me. Somewhat of a throwback set in a modern day society.

I will say, I didn’t really start getting into until the end of season 1 and beyond. 

4 hours ago, Thibs said:

Fair points. O’Shea’s the one that Bosch goes off on in the restaurant about re-prosecuting the rich chick who killed the priest. And then its caught on camera and goes viral. 

I remember that storyline. I just can't remember his face. He is that bland and forgettable. 

Blessedly, the show also has cool stuff like Bosch using his old-school special forces training to take down a dude. I like to remember that stuff. 

CW announced it is bringing every show back that wasn't already announced as ending (those would be Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin and iZombie)

The only show in limbo is All American and they will decide on that after its season ends

Well I guess technically there a couple other shows still waiting on a decision (like The 100)

Hulu is going to start integrating what it calls "Pause Ads" by Spring 2019 into its streaming service

Basically if you pause something you are watching - an ad will come up until you unpause

It is a little unclear (at least in the story I read) if that means "ad" means a still image for say like Coke or an actual commercial with sound, etc...

I'm still on the ads version of Hulu because the ads don't bother me that much and with Netflix constantly raising their prices, I figure I'll just save a few bucks where I can. I'm glad that whatever these pause ads are won't be much more than that.

I will say this though, I wouldn't mind the ads at all if they were remotely more varied. Every time my wife and I watch the Shield, it's the same shit over and over and over and over and over again. Ad for some Letterkenney tv show, ad for Adam and Eve (which is kinda weird to see advertising on Hulu), ad for Killing Eve, ad for something else I can't remember and it never changes. I have to imagine there's a way for them to include a better variety of ads because constantly seeing that lame ass ad for Letterkenney makes me want to avoid the show instead of watching it.

Although the first time we saw the Killing Eve ad we thought that was actual good information because we wanted to watch it and the first season isn't included on demand on YouTube TV.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, Greggulator said:

My British comedy venture has moved onto another show called The Detectorists. It's about two friends without much in common beyond both being avid vans of trying to find artifacts via metal detectors. It's like if you took the tone of The Great British Bake Off but made it into an offbeat comedy. Well-drawn characters in a singularly unique setting will always work. It's a really lovely, slow-burning show. (One of the co-stars was Garreth from The Office, too.)

You'll likely get a better response to these posts in the "TV from outside the States" thread.

The Detectorists was my favourite show in years. A really gentle, bucolic show but one that had me in stitches too. Mackenzie Crook is the creator of the show too btw (Toby Jones is the other co-star for those not familiar with the show) Beautiful little theme tune too.

And I've just seen that it looks like someone has uploaded Season 3 to Youtube, so I know what I'm doing while I hibernate this weekend.

EDIT: Except episode 1, goddamn it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

NBC has pulled its live version of Hair

It is a combination of Rent Live being a disaster and it taking place on the same day as the Game of Thrones finale

Rent Live was FOX's own damn fault.  How the fuck do you NOT have a floating Understudy or 3 just in case something goes wrong?  That's shocking that NBC would get shook by that considering they nailed JC Superstar.

Because it's Hollywood, not Broadway.  Supposedly the actual performance was phenomenal and they worked around Roger's injury flawlessly.  But, it will probably never be released.   

Eh. 

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Because it's Hollywood, not Broadway.  Supposedly the actual performance was phenomenal and they worked around Roger's injury flawlessly.  But, it will probably never be released.   

Eh. 

Flawlessly is generous.  The workaround was ok, but broke up the overall rythem of the rest of the show.  The finale was fucking spectacular though.