DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Co-signed. Kokomo is bad for a number of reasons. 

Yeah but it got that "great" Beach Boys song*.

* - Yes, I know it's not.  Work with me here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I sometimes sing the opening lyrics in public hoping some strangers would join in A cappella style like the Tanner family did on The Beach Boys episode of Full House.

When I saw the Beach Boys in concert in the 90s, John Stamos performed the entire show with them and sang a couple of his solo songs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, Tabe said:

Although it looked like it, my comment wasn't intended as a shot at you. You ain't from Michigan, it's all good :)

I love you like family, Tabe.

So I started watching New Girl last night (just because I was looking for something brainless)

I am not sure I will stick with it but that isn't the point of my post.

Just another reminder of how jarring it is when someone doesn't it make it from the pilot episode to the actual series

I mean I won't miss Damon Wayans Jr not being on the show but still

Because I was bored and didn't have anything new to read I started watch Friends from College on Netflix. The premise is that there's 6 long time friends, two of which are married to each other, another is married to another guy, and the two people that are married are cheating on their spouses with each other...for YEARS. I can't even tell a fucking small lie to my wife. Cheating on someone for years is just mind blowing. The logistics especially don't make sense. Oh yeah, one of the other friends knows that Key (of Key and Peele fame) is cheating on his wife (who is in the group of friends and is played by Cobie Smulders) and the other woman in the friends group are cheating with each other. How could you not find out?

Anyway, given how disgusting and gross that all is and, oh yeah, Key and Cobie are trying to have a baby, it just completely dampens all of the comedy. I thought most of the comedy just fell flat, but there were some times when it did give me a laugh.

This is a tv series where I sit there and watch and I'm never sure if what I'm watching is actually good. I don't think it's good, but for whatever reason it's kinda captivating in a train wreck kind of way where I can't stop looking. I'll keep watching it because there's only two seasons of it and it's only 8 episodes a season.

Damon Wayans Jr. returns after Happy Endings ends.  I still can't conceive that TV star Zooey Deschanel is the same person as Indie Film Darling Zooey Deschanel.  IFDZD shows up in the series finale of New Girl to boot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wish I was there. 

Did he sing the song he sung to Rebecca at the Wedding?

Yep.

It was an INCREDIBLE concert.  We were actually there to see America, who was the opening act.  The Beach Boys in the main event were just a bonus.  And they put on a TREMENDOUS show.  2+ hours with zero downtime and all high energy.  And they sounded fabulous.  Easily one of the best shows I've ever attended.

• Like 1

This Is Us got awful really quick. Every episode, millennial doesn't get what they want because they made no effort or screwed up and spends the rest of the episode being incredulous and yelling at everyone else on screen until they get what they want. It's really annoying.

That and the lack of Jack Pearson.  

11 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

This Is Us got awful really quick. Every episode, millennial doesn't get what they want because they made no effort or screwed up and spends the rest of the episode being incredulous and yelling at everyone else on screen until they get what they want. It's really annoying.

That and the lack of Jack Pearson.  

Yeah. They had a great season and a half of material, and then they closed out the big mystery and initial plot lines and it just stuck right in the mud. So, of course, it's going to last God only knows how many more years. I tapped out though.

• Like 1

Friends from College has one of the craziest turn arounds in terms of quality from one season to the next. A positive turn around that is. Like I said earlier, that first season feels really gross that they have these characters cheating on their spouses with each other for YEARS and others in the group know. There are no penalties for these people and I think we're expected to just go along with it.

The second season is completely different. It's actually funnier for one thing. Way funnier. Secondly, all of the issues with the first season are addressed in about the first 5 minutes. The second season takes place a year later where everyone is now aware of who cheated on who and the friends group has kinda fallen apart. They get back together over the course of the season, but it's clear that damage was done. By the end of the season there are some pretty interesting scenarios that I now want to see play out.

About a year ago I watched the first episode and didn't really watch any more of it. I wouldn't have even gone back now if they didn't make a second season. The second season of it made me think it was worth checking out.