DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

The real reason Keith Richards is still alive is that he always used the best quality smack. I learned that when I read his book however many years ago it came out. That way he never had to adjust for when people cut it and that sort of thing. That's why, explained people OD is because you take a bunch of low quality shit, and when you do that with the good stuff you OD. My father, who died in August was an alcoholic for most of my life and scared me straight. I'm pretty much a social leper anyway, and relatively immune to peer pressure, so I've never really seriously drank(a beer here and there occasionally when I was younger), but otherwise I would have been an addict considering my family tree is addicts on both sides.

Artie Lang needs to donate his body to science because to do that much coke and be walking around is incredible.

That makes perfect sense. I recall a time back when I was 16 or 17 (in those days methamphetamine in pill form was prescribed for weight loss), pharmaceutical meth tabs were as easy to get as sending your girlfriend to the doc to say that she was worried about her figure... Anyway, I digress... The stuff used to come in 1000 tab lots which we called "jars", thing was you buy a jar of speed, there was always about thirty to fifty tabs broken up by the weight of the other pills. These were impossible to sell as people would get all pissy about it, so the only thing to do was grind them up finer in a spice grinder and snort them... Easy-peasy. 

So anyway, my buddy and I are at another (older) friend's apt. (he had a connect at the UW science lab for acid, and we were sort of fishing around...), anyway,  Pat being a genial host offers some marijuana chocolate-chip cookies and asks if we would care for any "powdered speed". Of course, we said "Sure!" and doled out generous lines from the bottle that he proffered. I should've questioned why Pat sort of raised his eyebrows at the portions, but I foolishly didn't say anything. We assumed that the stuff was the usual ground-up meth tabs... Fuck no, it was pure crystal pharmaceutical meth... I thought I was going to grind my teeth to powder, damn, I can easily see how people used to the mediocre stuff OD when confronted with the good shit. I walked home from Capitol Hill to Ballard that day and thought nothing of it, that's about twelve miles, most of it hills... I don't know of too many people that age having heart attacks, but there was a good couple of hours there that I was pretty sure that I was going to have one...

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

That's when I discovered "The Block."

I once saw a bartender throw a person out of a bar for being a designated driver on "The Block." I think his exact words were, "If you aren't drinking, get the fuck out."

• Haha 2

NBC Universal is launching its own streaming service. 

The biggest impact to all of you is going to be that you'll probably no longer be able to stream The Office for the 300th time on Netflix. 

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to 2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

Imagine if, instead of having two nostrils, you just had one really big, massive one. Like that. Happened to a soap opera actress from London in the 90s, Daniella Westbrook. She had it rebuilt and now it looks... not normal exactly, but not like having the chasm to hell in the middle of your face. She looks like she's had cosmetic surgery. 

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NBC Universal is launching its own streaming service. 

The biggest impact to all of you is going to be that you'll probably no longer be able to stream The Office for the 300th time on Netflix. 

With all of these streaming services popping up, if you have different favorites on different networks, cutting the cord will no longer be worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Austin said:

With all of these streaming services popping up, if you have different favorites on different networks, cutting the cord will no longer be worth it.

The service will be free if you subscribe to cable or satellite

If you have cut the cord - it appears it is $12 a month

And contrary to what Dolfan said

At this point, there are no plans for NBCUniversal to pull its libraries of content from other streaming services like Hulu or Netflix, which is planning a significant price hike of its own, but does expect other companies like Sony and Discovery to add their own content as well, which will have a live TV option, as well as an on-demand backlog. It’s projected launch in 2020 also leads some speculation that NBC’s Olympic coverage will play a part as well.

I remember when Fox said the same thing, and then Archer and Bob's Burgers both got pulled.   Now I have to watch them on Hulu with commercials, like a god damned animal.  

Bastards.

• Like 1

HBO's 2019 Coming Soon trailer featuring blurbs from the new Zendaya joint, Euphoria, and the highly anticipated, Watchmen.

Do not watch if you want the upcoming GoT season mildly spoiled for you.

I'm guessing that the series adaptation of Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death? will be filling the void left when Game of Thrones wraps up its final season.

Can someone please get Elric of Melibone on HBO or Netflix while Michael Moorcock is still alive to get an Executive Producer and a Writer credit?

On 1/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, OSJ said:

I don't usually malign other cities (except for Cleveland), but my visit to Baltimore was many years ago, and perhaps it's different now. I was at a World Fantasy Con at the Inner Harbor Marriott, a perfectly fine hotel. Anyway, there were several authors there who were in my first Darkside anthology and I brought the signature pages to get them all done in one place instead of mailing them all over the place. Anyway, someone asked if they could have a beer, and being a cheap bastard I wasn't about to pay $4.00 for a beer so I asked directions to the nearest package store... 

Holy shit, it was only three blocks but it was like walking through three blocks of Hell. I have never carried a piece, at 5'11 265 lbs. with twenty years of Muay Thai behind me, I may not be a tough guy, but I'm no joke, and can pretty well take care of myself. I don't mind admitting that I was fucking terrified, despite seeing two or three squad cars cruise down the street. If anything, The Wire makes the city seem more palatable than it is. (Unless it has been major league cleaned up like they did with Seattle's 1st Avenue, where you used to find bucket of blood taverns, they now have boutiques selling garden gnomes, I'm not real sure that that's an improvement, but it is what it is.)

Ah, my hometown.  It's a small big town...or a big small town...whatever.  Exactly what you experienced is what I tell my coworkers here in suburban DC.  Any "nice" area is within easy walking distance of something really horrible.  If you're in a nice part of Baltimore, just stay there.  Go ahead and pay hotel bar prices.  You'll live longer.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

There's a lot more to this story, But the kicker is, around 2 am, two cop cars appear at the end of each block and they announce over the cop speakers/ megaphone shit.."All right, that's it." and everyone either disappeared into the alleys or into the restaurants. It felt like the attitude  was "We're gonna ignore the open drug and hooker market as long as it stays in this block, and it ends at 2." So then coked up me goes back to the Hyatt, knowing that I'm never telling Marsha about this, but also knowing I didn't do anything all that bad, I just watched. It's a cop out, but it worked for me.

What's even better is that the police station is RIGHT NEXT TO THE BLOCK.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, OSJ said:

I don't usually malign other cities (except for Cleveland), but my visit to Baltimore was many years ago, and perhaps it's different now. I was at a World Fantasy Con at the Inner Harbor Marriott, a perfectly fine hotel. Anyway, there were several authors there who were in my first Darkside anthology and I brought the signature pages to get them all done in one place instead of mailing them all over the place. Anyway, someone asked if they could have a beer, and being a cheap bastard I wasn't about to pay $4.00 for a beer so I asked directions to the nearest package store... 

Holy shit, it was only three blocks but it was like walking through three blocks of Hell. I have never carried a piece, at 5'11 265 lbs. with twenty years of Muay Thai behind me, I may not be a tough guy, but I'm no joke, and can pretty well take care of myself. I don't mind admitting that I was fucking terrified, despite seeing two or three squad cars cruise down the street. If anything, The Wire makes the city seem more palatable than it is. (Unless it has been major league cleaned up like they did with Seattle's 1st Avenue, where you used to find bucket of blood taverns, they now have boutiques selling garden gnomes, I'm not real sure that that's an improvement, but it is what it is.)

So this was probably, what, mid-90s?  Or a little earlier/later?  That would have been exactly the stretch of time David Simon was writing about when writing The Wire.  

But, if you were walking 3 blocks from the Convention Center to a package store, I probably know the store you're talking about.  If it was due north from the center, past the light rail stop, then yeah, that's one of the uglier blocks of the whole city, and I'm totally certain it's much better now than it was whenever you saw it.  But that little stretch is still a shithole - a package store next to the closest thing to a classy strip club in the city (at least outside of Fells), with a sports bar over top of that and about 4 different types of ethnic "food" that would probably make you heave your guts out.  It's also only a block at most from the 7-11 I was talking about.  If the place you were talking about was in any other direction, they've probably bulldozed it by now, because I don't remember any other stores that close to the Convention Center.

I can also vouch that Johnny's story sounds, if anything, like it's tame.  I suppose that's marital bliss for you.

I had little to no reason to ever visit the red light district - never been in a strip club in my life, not about to start, and my life's been fucked-up enough without ever doing drugs, so no, Tabe, I did not fly the guy to the planet with all the cocaine - but I had to go to a church nearby once for one of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society shows.  I walked there, and, for whatever reason, I ended up taking Calvert St. up to the church, roughly around 7 PM for an 8 PM show.  I hit Charles St, the east/west "main street", and some dude comes up to me instantly and says, "Hey brother, you're early!"  I don't even think about it and say, "Yeah, I am", and I wonder, "How did he know?"  Then one glance to my right tells me he's talking about something totally different.  Oh, that.

• Haha 2

Hanna, a television series based on the 2011 movie of the same name, will debut on Amazon Prime this coming March.

Remember when you were angry because material that would probably be better as a miniseries got crammed into a feature length movie?

Now it appears that content that was perfectly fine in feature length movie form is getting stretched out into miniseries format. 

• Haha 1

The last time I went to Baltimore, we stayed in a nice hotel around The Inner Harbor and Ubered anywhere we needed to go.  Driving in Baltimore is precarious for many reasons, but the complete disregard for traffic that all pedestrians in Baltimore seem to have has to be #1 on that list.  On top of that, no one wanted to be the designated driver so Uber was a wise choice.  Eventually, we decide to hit up Chap's Pit Beef, which is a go to anytime I'm in Baltimore, and call an Uber.  The ride between the hotel and Chap's was like a sightseeing tour for housing projects.  About halfway to Chap's we see a crowd gathering on a corner, and my hood instincts kick in and I'm 100% sure I'm about to see a dead body.  We finally get to the corner, and we see a pedestrian, pinned under a car.  I didn't see the accident, we were probably 2 minutes too late, but I'd bet all the money in my pocket that the poor man pinned under that car just randomly walked across the street and just assumed that traffic would stop.

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I love it that they are phasing out gay jokes as if it is impossible to immediately make an episode that is 100% gay joke free.

As a Cleveland Indians fan, I was ready to give up my fandom when they said, "yeah our logo is racist as fuck, so instead of just removing it, we're going to phase it out."  Sports teams change uniforms and logos all the time, you don't have to phase that shit out you can just change it.

• Like 3

You should have seen how the BBC covered the 2012 Olympics. We had 12 Olympic channels*, plus coverage on regular BBC1 and BBC 2.

*Technically 24. HD and normal D.