DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I tuned in to Comet on New Year's Eve during the day just in time to catch most of the Party Like It's Space:  1999 marathon.

I had such a huge crush on Maya (Catherine Schell) when I was a kid.

I was dumb.

3 hours ago, turk128 said:

I'm so glad The Expanse got picked up by Amazon.

Me too.  I'll pick up Prime long enough to watch it and the upcoming season of The Man In the High Tower and then drop it.

Everytime I think about dropping Netflix, they put something awesome on.

Finished up season 4 of The Wire. Spent at least half the episode weepy and teary eyed. Sometimes because good shit happened, sometimes because some really, really, really sad shit happened.

I think what got me more than anything else was what Wee Bay did. I long thought that he was such a piece of shit, but what he does in that episode and what he says to his wife and then later on seeing

Spoiler

Wee Bey hug his kid and then seeing his kid go off with Bunny

got me big time. I didn't expect that at all. Sadly, that was completely balanced out by what happens

Spoiler

to the other kid who winds up back in a group home.

Anyway, I thought this season setup the final season extremely well. Marlo, Chris, and Snoop are the most vile pieces of shit and I want to see them brought down way more than anyone else. Sadly, the rush of excitement I had for

Spoiler

McNulty returning to Major Crimes to make up for him being responsible for Bodie

was diminished by knowing it would just result in him becoming a piece of shit again. Watched the first episode of season 5 and yep, he's back to being a piece of shit again. Fucking idiot.

Season 4 is my favorite season so far. There's just so much to like and it's the most emotional season by far. To me anyway.

Prez is still the best.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Ripley’s Believe It or Not! is making yet another return, 100 years after Robert L. Ripley launched the brand. Travel Channel is rebooting the iconic series, with Bruce Campbell(Evil Dead, Burn Notice) as host and executive producer.

The recent Dean Cain incarnation of the show was not that horrible, but I felt bad watching the show and thinking that he should probably be a bigger celebrity than he is now.  It was somewhat depressing.

Bruce Campbell really is a better thematic fit for a show like that, though.  He also has a much better narrator's voice than Cain, IMO.

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It’s nice to see Prez land on his feet and become a somewhat effective teacher. But at the end of the day, he’s still a giant fuck up who took away a kid’s eye. That’s hard to look past. 

Shit, I forgot about him beating on that kid in the first or second episode...Although, with that in mind, I suppose that adds extra gravity to his work with the kids to the point where he practically wants to adopt one of them.

I'm a few episodes into season 5 and...

Spoiler

I gotta echo Bunk...What in the fuck, McNulty?!

I don't see this ending well.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, Craig H said:

Season 4 is my favorite season so far. There's just so much to like and it's the most emotional season by far. To me anyway.

Prez is still the best.

Yes to both of these, though yeah... the kid's eye is something you tend to forget about. 

Season Two is crucially underrated. You have to have it to get the background on the drug trade, that as somebody in the series (I think Omar) says at one point, that there are Games beyond The Game, that the whole thing is bigger than the Westside of Baltimore. And not just the drug trade but the economic struggle of almost the entire American populace. I can understand why it disappointed people at first -- Michael K. Williams' own original opinion was disappointment, feeling like it diminished the primarily black-oriented outlook of the series. But go watch it again and it's a piece of the puzzle that is impossible to remove. 

• Like 2

Been rewatching True Detective season one in preparation for season 3 and I can’t figure out if it’s McConaugheys performance or the show as a whole but it’s in my top 5 series of all time.

Re; season two of the Wire. I have to agree that it’s very underrated, I remember wanting to quit it two episodes in but my buddy convinced me otherwise. Ziggy and the duck, love-child, the Greek, among other things make that season fucking awesome. 

I forgot all about that. Hilarious. 

With most characters in The Wire you get a duality. You tend to get a pair where their fates split off and they either learn from their mistakes or meet self-destruction, as with Herc and Carver, or the kids in season four. And then there's the villain with a positive trait which reminds me of Vondas and his affection for Nicky in season two. It's small, and Vondas is an important though not constant character, but it's there. Attention to detail like that is why The Wire is superior to most all television. 

Not great. Kind of a drag at times with too many characters doing nothing, which slowed down the momentum of the season. The best stuff was with Smith and the sci fi stuff should have been leaned into more, but instead we got a whole lot of nothing. 

Thankfully, season 3 righted all of those wrongs and delivered more than a few holy shit moments. They also leaned heavily into the scifi aspect of the series. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not great. Kind of a drag at times with too many characters doing nothing, which slowed down the momentum of the season. The best stuff was with Smith and the sci fi stuff should have been leaned into more, but instead we got a whole lot of nothing. 

Thankfully, season 3 righted all of those wrongs and delivered more than a few holy shit moments. They also leaned heavily into the scifi aspect of the series. 

What Craig said.

Now I need to watch the last three episodes of S3 of The Expanse so I will not be lost in the fog when it moves to A Prime.

Thinking back to the Man in the High Castle again, it's a huge bummer that their big idea was to show something that happened in our world post-WWII and use it to parallel what was happening between the Japanese and Nazis in the other universe. I'm sure on paper it looked or sounded cool, but when you see all of the craziness at the end of season 1, you just want even more of that shit.

At least they go full throttle with the scifi craziness in season 3. You still don't get much of an explanation for the universe hopping stuff until the very, very, very end of the episode and even then it's left very vague, but man is it really cool to see where they're going.

Regarding that season 3 finale:

Spoiler

It's so fucking awesome when she's totally owning Smith asking "what did you think you were going to do, roll tanks and soldiers through that portal? And then what?" Like, of course it's a completely half-baked Nazi plan using science and the occult (kinda) and you know it's going to blow up in their faces especially when whatever universe they're travelling to you can't have a counterpart there.

And then Smith looks at her dumbfounded with the only thing he can think of to even do is shoot her.

Gandolfini not being there is still strange. 

For a mindfuck, David Chase considered Van Zandt for the role of Tony. That's a completely different show and not nearly as iconic. 

Anyone here buy the Sepinwall/Zoller Seitz book? 

Edit: I've been butchering Dominic Chianese's name this entire time... 

Also, what's Drea de Matteo up to these days that she can't show up for this?