DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

New Luther starts tonight~! And all the previous episodes are free on iPlayer for the next couple of months as well. 

Don't know when it airs in America though. Can't be too long, it's popular over there, right?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

New Luther starts tonight~! And all the previous episodes are free on iPlayer for the next couple of months as well. 

Don't know when it airs in America though. Can't be too long, it's popular over there, right?

BBC America site just says "coming 2019."

I guess they dont have the same kind of worry about internet viewer degradation from streams as they did/do with DW and Sherlock. 

Just wrapped up the Gilda Radner piece CNN aired the other night. I enjoyed it a lot. It was very nice hearing her narrating her life. I dunno if the cassette was recently found or if it was just something that was sitting around until somebody decided to make something of it, but I’m glad they did. While I was alive when she was, it was only during her declining health (born in ‘86), so I obviously missed out on her prime.  

But I enjoyed hearing her normal speaking voice and seeing the personal clips and photos. It reminded me in a way of the audio tapes (as well as the home movies for the latter mentioned below) from Michael Azerrad’s audio interviews with Kurt Cobain for the (really good, since it was done when he was alive) book Come As You Are, that were reused for the self-narrating Kurt Cobain: About A Son (‘08). As well as the Kurt doc, Montage Of Heck

Anyways, check it out if you get the chance. It’s called “Love, Gilda”.

• Like 1

Finally finished Black Sails. Wonderful series: it was a Venn diagram of ideals, morals, and emotions. Loved the way it incorporated history and tall tales.

Now I gotta look for a similar series (or finish up The Expanse, The Magicians ...).

I'm not digging up the Wire thread because there aren't many of us watching it, but holy shit...I just got to the second to the last episode of season and:

Spoiler

they fucking kill off Stringer Bell?! WTF?!

That was really shocking. I thought the death of:

Spoiler

Deangelo Barksdale

was surprising, but this was legit shocking.

I still don't know if I agree that this is the greatest tv series ever like some people do, but it's pretty damn good. I'm still doing my rewatch of the Shield at the same time as the Wire and I think the Shield is better, but I really love the vibe of the Wire where cops really want to do the right thing and there's a ton of nuance to what the criminals on the street are doing.

I must check out this new season of Luther.

I will go ask my question about Undercover in the Television From Not In the States forum lest anyone accuse me of being a hypocrite.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, Robert s said:

The Orville is back for season 2. The first episode was a relative uneventful one, probably to reintroduce the characters after a one year hiatus.

You nailed it. The second episode was what the show is. Regular folk doing great Trek.  That was the best Star Trek episode I've seen in years.

• Like 1

YEAH! So wow, that was way different than what I expected given how season 1 ended. 

During the season I wound up dying to see more of the drug game and more of the stuff with the Barksdales and Stringer. By the end of the season I thought it all came together extremely well and I like the overall story it told. 

That said, when you get to season 3 and now 4, man, that 2nd season is such a strange departure even if it does setup events in seasons 3 or 4 or juxtapose interestingly with the next couple seasons. 

So far, I think I like season 1 the most. Season 4 is by far the most depressing and I'm not even done with it. Season 3 I felt like McNulty where I didn't get the closure or good feeling I should have had. 

I think my personal MVP is Prez. I don't know about anyone else, but after the first couple episodes I totally wrote him off as a complete fuck up and beyond worthless.

When he gets stuck back at the office with major crimes and you get to the episode where he's decoding shit and then is able to code break even more shit you just get to see how much worth he has. That actor also does a hell of a job making you believe in him too and making you think that isn't totally worthless.

That's why when what happens to him in season 3 happens it's a gut punch. It's the one thing he really, really loves to do. He makes a remark that maybe he's not cut out to be a police, but where he should really be is in intelligence. I want him to make it as a teacher, but I have my doubts.

Good Girls is a surprisingly good show. I didn't think I'd like it, but here I am like, hours later, almost done with the first season. Isn't it framed as a comedy with the trailers? Because, yeah, it has its funny moments, but it's... it gets super dark at times.

HBO2 is running full seasons of The Sopranos! Had a nasty cold this weekend so I was able to re-watch seasons 1, 2 and 3, they start at Noon eastern time and run to about midnight. The show debuted 20 years ago and for me is still the greatest television series ever but wow was the FBI trying to bug the basement episode bad, it was so bad that I think everyone erased it from their minds.