DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 1/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, jaedmc said:

Just got a year in review email from Letterboxd. Was shocked to discover that my most watched actor was....

DICK MILLER.

87750.png

And apparently I watched Joe Dante films more than any other director(which I probably only saw 3 or 4) so I guess it adds up.

This is always fun to look at. I watched a lot of silent shorts and Looney Tunes this year.

Top 5 actors of 2018

Mel Blanc - 33

Georges Melies - 15

Buster Keaton, Fatty Arbuckle, Al St. John - 14

Top 5 Directors of 2018

Louis Lumiere - 37

Georges Melies - 18

Fatty Arbuckle, Edwin Porter - 14

Friz Freleng - 11

IMDb is jumping into the ever expanding streaming world. The movie site has announced the launch of IMDb Freedive, a free streaming platform that allows users to watch TV shows such as Fringe, Heroes, The Bachelor and Without a Trace as well as films such as Awakenings, Foxcatcher, Memento, Monster, Run Lola Run, The Illusionist, The Last Samurai, True Romance, and many more. The best part is that this service is entirely free, and doesn’t even require a subscription, although the site will feature advertisements.

Users will be able to stream the aforementioned content via laptop or computer and on all Amazon TV devices. What’s more, customers can use an additional program called X-Ray, which, in true IMDb fashion, supplements the TV shows and films with trivia, information about the cast and crew, soundtracks and more.

Users may jump into IMDb Freedive now at www.imdb.com/freedive, where they can also enjoy the site’s original series The IMDb Show, Casting Calls and No Small Parts.

I went back and watched Rocky through Rocky IV and noticed Rocky IV only has about six or seven real scenes. All these years I thought "man, Rocky IV has some really memorable stuff". No wonder.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I went back and watched Rocky through Rocky IV and noticed Rocky IV only has about six or seven real scenes. All these years I thought "man, Rocky IV has some really memorable stuff". No wonder.

It's like 30% montages.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Can't stop there!

580full-rocky-v-(1990)-poster.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's a shame that movie doesn't exist

My all-time favorite theater experience. Sold out, raucous, and a dude who literally jumped up and danced in the aisle when Rocky scored the big KO at the end. Man, that night was fun, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

My all-time favorite theater experience. Sold out, raucous, and a dude who literally jumped up and danced in the aisle when Rocky scored the big KO at the end. Man, that night was fun, 

Tabe in here describing his fever dreams about a fake movie.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:18 PM, Tabe said:

ALL RIGHT ROCKOOOOOO!  ALL RIIIIGHT SLYYYYYYYY!

Not a day goes by where remembering old Eddie standup won't make me smile.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

ALL RIGHT ROCKOOOOOO!  ALL RIIIIGHT SLYYYYYYYY!

Isn't Spielberg Amazing?  is still in my personal lexicon to describe something that is either totally unbelievable or could only happen in a movie like two white men in a boxing match competing for the Unified Heavyweight Championship of the World

I used it a lot pre-Obama when a movie would feature a black US President.

• Haha 2

I wish HK film was still active. That was my go to for movies I just find out about. Then again i do have here too :)

For example I just found out there was an SPL 2 with Wu Jing and Tony Jaa. I'm curious since it's an Asian movie with Tony Jaa NOT set in the past so I'm wondering if it holds up to the original. That one had some amazing fights in that one and the story wasn't bad either so I'm hoping it's like that. 

I think what gets me the most in Rocky movies is how the refs won't stop in and stop the fight for a fighters own protection. Like after Drago lands that first punch on Apollo and you can clearly see how he can't get his hands up, the ref should've just said "yeah this shit is done"

James

On 1/14/2019 at 3:52 AM, Brian Fowler said:

It's a shame that movie doesn't exist

I feel the exact same way about Rambo III.

Rambo II ends with him walking into the jungle, Rambo 2007 picks up with him in the jungle x amount of years later. Fuck playing polo with the Taliban

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Death Wish 3 on a premium channel is so much better. This film has WAY more titties than I had any clue about (though of course none of those scenes are, pardon the pun, titillating) and the whole thing is just straight mayhem. Stupid mayhem, but whatever. It's still one of the only action films from a major franchise where the hero's ever had to reload his weapon or ran out of ammo, I think. Alex Winter in a drug-fueled mania jumping on top of a car screaming that he wants to give cunnilingus to the occupant might just be this series' secret high point.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Actually never seen that one, always heard it was more grim than the first. Which I imagine is REALLY hard to do. 

Part 4 came on after 3 and while it wasn't as fun, it had about ten times the firepower. It's like they said "fuck it, let's just give him the armory of a Columbian guerilla group and have him blow shit up". Also features John P. Ryan in his most teeth-gnashing role ever as the main villain.

I love that Death Wish has all the morality questions about whether what he was doing was right or wrong then the sequel was the same movie and then for the third one it was just ‘Morality be damned let’s watch Charlie Bronson murder gang members!’  The fourth is similarly fun.  The 5th is super painful with Bronson looking really old and hilariously contrived murdering like poisoned pastry and remote control explosive balls.  

Also the 3rd always makes me think of this

OK, can someone clarify for me whether this is Mandela Effect or not: In Batman and Robin, does Arnold actually say "Freeze you, Icehole" at any point? Because I've been convinced he does, but nobody appears to get the reference so maybe it's something one of the lads I knew in '98 made up.

We used to say "Forget you, airhead" to each other quite a lot. TV doesn't seem to censor swearing in movies any more.

I was reading something in the paper about how everyone should watch "The Favourite" by somehow in my head I was thinking of "The Frontrunner", and I was thinking I knew Gary Hart cheating on his missus but I didn't know he was into that.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

OK, can someone clarify for me whether this is Mandela Effect or not: In Batman and Robin, does Arnold actually say "Freeze you, Icehole" at any point? Because I've been convinced he does, but nobody appears to get the reference so maybe it's something one of the lads I knew in '98 made up.

We used to say "Forget you, airhead" to each other quite a lot. TV doesn't seem to censor swearing in movies any more.

I was reading something in the paper about how everyone should watch "The Favourite" by somehow in my head I was thinking of "The Frontrunner", and I was thinking I knew Gary Hart cheating on his missus but I didn't know he was into that.

Its Mandela Effect.  That's like, the ONE pun Arnold doesn't make in that flick.