DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

The Death of Stalin has been in rotation on Showtime so it had to be revisited. So funny, so so dark. It's like Seinfeld done by a bunch of homicidal bureaucrats. Buscemi is of course the gold standard as he always is in it, but every time Jason Isaacs as Field Marshal Zhukov shows up he completely steals the scene. 

For some reason the trailer for The Losers popped up on my Youtube recommendations and I haven't thought about that movie since I watched it what is close to a decade ago.

And I was just thinking about how if you released that exact some movie now how crazy people would be going for a movie based on a comic book that starred Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan

God - I am starting to go down that rabbit hole of what other movies apply.

For reference for those that don't know what I am talking about

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For some reason the trailer for The Losers popped up on my Youtube recommendations and I haven't thought about that movie since I watched it what is close to a decade ago.

And I was just thinking about how if you released that exact some movie now how crazy people would be going for a movie based on a comic book that starred Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan

God - I am starting to go down that rabbit hole of what other movies apply.

For reference for those that don't know what I am talking about

It is the comic book movie that no one realized was based on a comic book.

To be honest, the all star ensemble of protagonists is kinda just there.  Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Zoe Saldana are reciting lines and emoting.  It doesn't really feel like they've taken on a particular character.

Chris Evans has a couple of good moments, but Idris Elba doesn't really turn on the burners

Spoiler

until his heel turn.

The real stars of the movie are Jason Patric and Holt McCallany.  The bad guys steal every scene they are in.  Max is such a chicken shit villain and every criminal mastermind should have a no bullshit henchman like Wade.

It was in the rotation on the Cinemax networks not too long ago.  I sat through all of the end credits once and never realized that Big Bad Wolf by The Heavy was on the soundtrack.

I enjoyed it just fine

My bigger point wasn't so much the movie quality but more the imagine they hype around it if it was dropped onto a Friday in March (that wasn't against Captain Marvel)

And Idris at least won a BET Award for his role

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My bigger point wasn't so much the movie quality but more the imagine they hype around it if it was dropped onto a Friday in March (that wasn't against Captain Marvel)

Oh, no doubt.  Given the cast and factoring in a reasonable marketing campaign, If you dropped that movie this weekend starting tomorrow rather than when it was originally released, it would probably earn four times the revenue.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Idris at least won a BET Award for his role

That was bullshit.  He shouldn't have beaten Quinton Aaron (The Blind Side) that year.

http://www.thearttheater.org/help-the-art-raise-25k-in-25-days/

I don't know where else to put it, and it depresses the fuck out of me to have to put it here at all. If any of you happen to be sugar daddies with 25K laying around, or if you just don't mind throwing a 20 in honor of a place that's been around for 109 YEARS and given generations of filmgoers the times of their lives, please donate. I've seen more great films at this place than I can count, and the nearest place for first-run indie cinema is gonna be an hour drive away in Normal if the Art goes down. Not only that, but you know what'll probably happen if it does... a fresh batch of fucking condos. 

*sigh* I wish Ebert were still alive. He'd make sure this didn't happen.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

http://www.thearttheater.org/help-the-art-raise-25k-in-25-days/

I don't know where else to put it, and it depresses the fuck out of me to have to put it here at all. If any of you happen to be sugar daddies with 25K laying around, or if you just don't mind throwing a 20 in honor of a place that's been around for 109 YEARS and given generations of filmgoers the times of their lives, please donate. I've seen more great films at this place than I can count, and the nearest place for first-run indie cinema is gonna be an hour drive away in Normal if the Art goes down. Not only that, but you know what'll probably happen if it does... a fresh batch of fucking condos. 

*sigh* I wish Ebert were still alive. He'd make sure this didn't happen.

Could be like where I live where Cinemark bought the theater (they already own another 14 screen multiplex in town), let the theater turn to shit, then shut it down out of nowhere, refuse to sell to a private party who wanted to buy the theater, and instead sold it to some hotel company that's just going to build a hotel where it used to be.

I don't think that theater was here for that long, but I had a lot of good memories from that place and saw a ton of movies there from childhood on. And now it's rubble and soon to be another fucking hotel that won't see much business until the Notre Dame football season.

It sucks to see old theaters get shut down. I hope yours stays alive.

• Sad 1

Movies 6 opened in 93 or so and replaced/augmented the theater across the way at UP Mall. Then March '95  Movies 14 opened and the game changed. First movie I saw at Movies 6 was Pulp Fiction. Last movie I saw at UP Mall was Beavis and Butthead. After it became a dollar theater I saw Final Fantasy, Deuces Wild and the Croc Hunter movie. I made great use of that theater and the dollar shows at Scottsdale. AMC bought the theater in Elkhart from Carmike and doesn't seem to have made any improvements at all. Last time I was there in October it smelled like a wet dog.

Here's a comment from someone who works at the Art. Sad ain't the word (and I was four years off on the age)

"I'm asking for help. The Art Theater, which provides 1/3 of my income, is in financial trouble. If we cannot raise a huge amount of money in a very short time, we will have to close. I will lose my job, my friends will lose their jobs, and my amazing manager who has poured their heart and soul into this tiny, old-ass, broken down, special theater will lose their job. A theater that has been a part of Champaign for 105 years will be gone. The place where I've spent hundreds of hours over the last decade, lost in the magic of cinema, will be gone. The place where my partner and I had our first date will be gone. Anyone who wants to see a movie that's not a wide release will have to drive an hour to the Normal Theater. PLEASE consider donating if you live in the area, or even if you don't and just like me enough to not want me to lose one of my jobs, or even if you don't live here and you don't like me but you think everyone should be able to go see a movie that moves them."

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. In the first 24 1/2 hours they've raised $10,182. So this might be attainable, and let me redouble in all seriousness my pleas to donate. 

• Like 1