DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Goodman and Gandolfini were both in Fallen, the crazy and not so good demon possession movie with Denzel Washington, but I don't think they had any screen time together.

They share quite a bit of time together.  Some bantering and the like but Gandolfini is not very Sopranoish in it: he’s more sneering and off-putting with his bizarre moustache.  

Ive always liked the movie (Especially the opening with Elias Koteas) and found it creepy enough to watch it bi-annually.  BUT a lot of that I chalk up to the first time my family watched it.  It was the scene where Azazel is passing from person to person and it’s all suspenseful and our front door swings open and some guy wanders into our house, my dad jumped to his feet, pushed the guy out the door and locked it behind him.  It was then that we realized it wasn’t a home invasion but a drunk dude stumbling into the wrong house but it definitely upped the scare factor of the flick!

Edited by caley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They share quite a bit of time together.  Some bantering and the like but Gandolfini is not very Sopranoish in it: he’s more sneering and off-putting with his bizarre moustache.   

By77Q88.jpg

Bizarre is a funny word for awesome.

One of my favorite TV moments ever. Then he comes home, grabs something from the freezer to ice his hand and waits to be arrested.

That show was so fucking good. Roseanne losing her damn mind breaks my heart so much.

I think one of the things that really helped that show was that despite Barr's myriad of issues, Goodman and Metcalf are brilliant actors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So did anyone end up actually seeing Captive State? Saw it with family for my dad's bday. Cast and performances were strong, including the almighty Goodman, but my whole family left the movie puzzled. Even the group of strangers walking out of the same movie asked us what the movie was about to which my mom and sister couldn't answer.  

On 3/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, J.T. said:

It was at that point that I realized that even though his best known for his role in Rosanne, John Goodman had been in more stuff where he has terrified the living shit out of me rather than made me laugh until my sides hurt.

King Ralph scared the hell out of me.

12 hours ago, driver said:

I thought Gandolfini was great in 8mm.

That's a really underrated flick. I liked how Machine was really just some pudgy, middle aged dude. Not an over the top big bad, just a normal guy who could be your neighbor. 

Also, he was the pervy teacher that Keanu Reeves defended in Devil's Advocate and Frank Sobotka from The Wire.

Guest The Magnificent 7
On 3/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Kindly direct all traffic related to Us to this thread.  

None of y'all are going to spoil this for me.

He was blind the whole time. 

I finally got around to seeing A Star is Born.  I though it was excellent.  Two nitpicks:

The voice Cooper is putting on was really jarring.  It took maybe a half hour of screentime for me to not be distracted by it.  He sounds like Buffalo Bill.

Gaga was a right there with all the capital A actors in the film, no trouble at all.  I was impressed with her performance.  That being said, whenever she sang in the film, it took me out of it  a bit because you're just like "THAT'S LADY GAGA SINGING RIGHT THERE."

Dice was great.  Swole-ass Dave Chappelle, apparently on the Piscopo/Carrot Top comedy trajectory, was unnecessary.

In case you were wondering why Steven Spielberg was SO anti-Netflix.  It wasn't because he was so deeply invested in the theater experience... 

It's because he's working for the competition. 

• Like 1

Spielberg isn't a flip-flopping hypocrite.  You see, Apple TV at home replicates the theater experience because...Apple.  Can't believe I had to explain that to you.

• Haha 1

I was only half an hour in, it could have gone either way. Now I've finished it, yeah, I'm thinking Horror thread. Although the actual gore scenes didn't come close to getting me. The vomiting scenes did. Especially the one with the hair. That was disgusting. I'll do a proper post tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just saw that the Matrix is 20 years old. Cool. Another reminder that I'm fucking old.

And a reminder that it's my 20 year reunion this year.

Edited by Craig H

19 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

The Godzilla folks are really knocking it out of the park with these trailers

If you think the trailers are impressive, you should see the movie posters!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1