DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I want Captive State to be good, but the review embargo scares me. 

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a crappy spiritual sequel to 10 Cloverfield Lane or a shitty XCOM 2: The Movie.

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, Contentious C said:

If Goodman's in it, wouldn't it have to be a prequel?

Not really.  IIRC, at the end of 10 Cloverfield, the invasion is just happening.  Survivors are fleeing to Louisiana while resistance fighters are massing in Houston.

In Captive State, it looks like the aliens have already taken over and an insurgency is forming to oust them.

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

But...Goodman was in 10 Cloverfield. In acid. 

It was at that point that I realized that even though his best known for his role in Rosanne, John Goodman had been in more stuff where he has terrified the living shit out of me rather than made me laugh until my sides hurt.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

It was at that point that I realized that even though his best known for his role in Rosanne, John Goodman had been in more stuff where he has terrified the living shit out of me rather than made me laugh until my sides hurt.

The Coen's used to be the only people who noticed how easy it was to turn him terrifying with very little adjustment to what he normally does. I was really happy to see others start to catch on to it.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Man was scary on Rosanne too! The episode where him and Roseanne get into a fight and they are destroying the house scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Or when he finds out Jackie's boyfriend has been hitting her, and he just calmly grabs his coat and walks out the door and YOU KNOW SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Don't fuck with John Goodman

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Or when he finds out Jackie's boyfriend has been hitting her, and he just calmly grabs his coat and walks out the door and YOU KNOW SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Don't fuck with John Goodman

One of my favorite TV moments ever. Then he comes home, grabs something from the freezer to ice his hand and waits to be arrested.

That show was so fucking good. Roseanne losing her damn mind breaks my heart so much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Man was scary on Rosanne too! The episode where him and Roseanne get into a fight and they are destroying the house scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Or when he finds out Jackie's boyfriend has been hitting her, and he just calmly grabs his coat and walks out the door and YOU KNOW SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Don't fuck with John Goodman

It’s a shame we never got a John Goodman Vs. James Gandolfini(Battle between the scariest big men in Hollywood) Heat-like film before James passing. 

AHHHHHHHHH, what could’ve been...

Edit: I love that James probably told David Chase that he’d only job to Bobby in the most pro wrestling territory way possible.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

One of my favorite TV moments ever. Then he comes home, grabs something from the freezer to ice his hand and waits to be arrested.

That show was so fucking good. Roseanne losing her damn mind breaks my heart so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goodman and Gandolfini were both in Fallen, the crazy and not so good demon possession movie with Denzel Washington, but I don't think they had any screen time together.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Goodman and Gandolfini were both in Fallen, the crazy and not so good demon possession movie with Denzel Washington, but I don't think they had any screen time together.

I haven’t watched that movie in quite sometime, but they both play cops. So they maybe share a brief seen together.

37 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I haven’t watched that movie in quite sometime, but they both play cops. So they maybe share a brief seen together.

The ending scene where Goodman's character is possessed by the demon is yet one more of those HOLY SHIT, JOHN GOODMAN IS A SCARE DUDE~! moments we've been talking about.

I also mind farted on Goodman playing the asshole coach in Revenge of the Nerds.   From the looks of things, he's actually played more heavies than he has squishy bears. 

His role in Rosanne seems to be the exception, rather than the norm for him.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m still bugged that the big twist was that Denzel the narrator was really the Demon. But how could he narrate the story with Denzel’s voice in cat form? Also who is he telling the story to? That narrator twist ruined the movie for me. Felt so unneeded.

I don't want to offer excuses for the huge plot holes created for the sake of the twist ending but I suppose since Denzel's character was the last human that Azazel possessed, that was the voice that he used as the narrator. 

Chalk up the voice change meta to Azazel being a supernatural being that has the power to do whatever it wants.  "Magic" means that you never have to say you're sorry.

It's also obvious that Azazel is telling the story to us as the omnipotent audience and it parodies the noir fiction tradition of the hard-boiled detective breaking the fourth wall and explaining to the reader how he solved the big case.

It is that same noir fiction tradition that tricks us into believing that Denzel's character is the narrator the entire time (since the gumshoe always wins) when it turns out that he's not.

I found the twist to be a bit much, but it was still fairly effective and gave me a slight chill when I realized what was actually going on.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I remember thinking that film would've made an excellent game after watching it

42 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I remember thinking that film would've made an excellent game after watching it

They did make it. It’s called Mario Odyssey. 

“It-a me Mario! Beware my wrath.”

Luigi’s Mansion is the canonical sequel.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs