DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 3/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Thing about Jackson is, every once in awhile he does something you can tell he's passionate about, and you suddenly remember "of yeah, this guy is really fucking good."

He still really tries in Tarantino movies. Django and Hateful Eight were a nice reminder of how amazing of a screen presence and a talent he can be when he tries.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, AxB said:

I fell asleep at the cinema watching The Thin Red Line. Serves me right though, for going to a 7pm showing having done an early shift that day (so waking up at 5:30am). It wasn't that I was bored by it. Just sleep deprived. Also some kids film I can't remember when my son was like 4 years old. Night at the Museum 2 or something. 

I haven't made it through The Thin Red Line I don't think in two or three attempts.

I took me about five times to get through 2001 without going sound asleep. It always peaks when the primate gets beat to death with the bone. I dunno why but I fucking lose it everytime.

I think my most trying one (at the very least tied with 2001) is Blue Velvet. Granted, I always wait until way late at night to watch the goddamn thing. I was always out after the first fifteen minutes.

Alita is like that great wrestler who just started out: her moves are fantastic and she executes them well but, in between, her pacing is awkward and there really isn't any flow, she tries but the hitches and hesitations can only be solved by experience... and then she's asked to end the match and she just kinda does without any real setup.

TLDR really fun movie, shoulda been a Netflix mini-series.

I was trying to find a clip of the Prodigy song in the first matrix movie but there were so many music video montages or people putting others Prodigy songs over the lobby gunfight scene instead of the Propellerheads songs, I gave up looking. 

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was trying to find a clip of the Prodigy song in the first matrix movie but there were so many music video montages or people putting others Prodigy songs over the lobby gunfight scene instead of the Propellerheads songs, I gave up looking. 

How did you fail to find a clip of Mindfields?  It's like one of their most popular songs.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because he wanted the movie clip not the song?

He posted that he was looking for the song's placement in the movie and it's not in the lobby shootout.  That's the Propellorhead's track.

Mindfields kicks in after the Dragula remix when Trinity first introduces herself to Neo at the club.

"My name is Trinity."

Edited by J.T.

I knew where it was in the movie. I just didnt see that clip when I was looking for it. Admittedly, I was at work and cold, so Google fu  (or YouTube fu as it were) was not at 100%.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

I never post in this folder but somehow 2019 has become my movie year. Possibly because I'm taking classes in broadcasting (as a relative old man) and it's tied in with a lot of film stuff, possibly because they opened up a hipster-as-hell DVD rental place adjacent to the punk rock club I live by (Beyond Video, next to Ottobar), possibly because they're good movies, man.

So here I am, over-educated son of a film major, relaying my deepest critical opinions of the film world to your humble eyes.

Tarkovsky's Stalker was dope as hell. The Wages of Fear was dope as hell. Mandy was dope as hell. Rear Window, Serial Mom, and Ghost Dog are all still dope as hell. Wild at Heart, Our Man Flint, Only Lovers Left Alive, and the version of Chaplin's Gold Rush with narration are pretty good. The movie that I thought was One-Armed Swordsman was actually One-Armed Swordsmen but it was OK. The Tree Of Life can fuck right off but that's mainly because Brad Pitt doing a Southern accent fills me with a rage I've never been able to place. All the brilliant cosmic cinematography in the world isn't gonna make me like Sean Penn, either.

Up next: Melancholia, Pasolini's Decameron, and the last Lone Wolf & Cub movie, White Heaven in Hell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I knew where it was in the movie. I just didnt see that clip when I was looking for it. Admittedly, I was at work and cold, so Google fu  (or YouTube fu as it were) was not at 100%.

I have seen The Matrix a billion times and know the scene placement for the songs in the soundtrack almost by heart.

Some songs are buried in context while others are pretty obvious like the RATM song during the BEST END CREDITS EVER~!

41 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I was gonna grumble because he lives next to Ottobar; that was the only place in Baltimore that ever reminded me of the good, grimy clubs in Athens, GA (and yes, those do exist).

Seeing "video store" next to "punk rock club" must've blinded me to that part. If I lived next to both of those AND a dive bar, I would never leave the block if I had to. Well, until the ambulance had to inevitably arrive at my residence of course.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seeing "video store" next to "punk rock club" must've blinded me to that part. If I lived next to both of those AND a dive bar, I would never leave the block if I had to. Well, until the ambulance had to inevitably arrive at my residence of course.

Well, Ottobar is both the dive and the show venue.  Also occasionally did local stand-up that wasn't terrible.  And I saw Wyatt Cenac there, who was supposed to show up the week of the Freddie Gray riots, postponed the show several months, and then the first words he said were to the effect of, "Well, you guys had some shit happen, huh?"

• Haha 1