DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I fall asleep watching movies all of the time, both at home and in the theater. I don't sleep the whole way through, but I'll nod off. The weird thing is, for theater movies, it's big action movies, but I think lately it's because my theater here has the super nicer lounger recliners.

What happens is this though...The movie can be big and loud and all of that. You know, there's music playing, explosions, etc. The moment there's silence or a really quiet scene, it's like being put through hypnosis and I just conk right out. I'll wake up 10 or 15 minutes later, but it's being in a dark room and that moment of silence hitting after this huge sensory experience that puts me out.

So the second time I saw Infinity War that happened, but it doesn't happen to other types of movies. I was wide awake the whole way through The Favourite. I desperately wanted to fall asleep during Glass, but sadly couldn't. 

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I tried showing that to the stepson at age 12 and he bitched about it to me for years. 

When I wrote about 2001 as an undergrad, i went through and figured out there are only 45 minutes of dialogue in the whole movie. 

While I didn't fall asleep during it, the screening of SOLARIS I went to was a tough slog. I really liked Tarkovsky's STALKER when I watched it about a decade ago, but SOLARIS was boring as shit, I thought.

This is a very off-brand dislike for me. Typically, I'd be like "slow, beautifully shot, philosophical sci-fi movie? Sign me up."

Yeah, I didn't fall asleep during it, but Solaris is very much the sort of movie you can end up starting and stopping about 20 times before it 'catches' and you make it through.  One of the beauties of having your own copy rather than streaming (though not something I abuse to skip the slow bits, because I'm not a fucking barbarian). 

Also, highly annoyed at Criterion right now, since their streaming stuff isn't working ATM; they claim it's DRM-related, and they can't account for every possible combo of things that people could own that might fail HDCP specs.  And guess what movie I didn't get to watch last week because of the issues...

I fell asleep at the cinema watching The Thin Red Line. Serves me right though, for going to a 7pm showing having done an early shift that day (so waking up at 5:30am). It wasn't that I was bored by it. Just sleep deprived. Also some kids film I can't remember when my son was like 4 years old. Night at the Museum 2 or something. 

Just finished Blackkklansman. Nothing much I can add to it, other than that cut to current footage at the end is a gut punch. I audibly gasped and there's no one else here.

On a lighter note, I can't believe there's another Buscemi. When he first showed up I wondered who this poor bastard that has the bad fortune of looking like Steve Buscemi was...

• Haha 1

I fell asleep during The Dark Knight....twice. I was finally able to get through it at home. On the flip side, I can proudly say that after working two shifts, I made it all the way through Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, which is like 4 hours with an intermission. I was munching on ephedrine instead of popcorn, but I made it! 

12 hours ago, Control said:

While I didn't fall asleep during it, the screening of SOLARIS I went to was a tough slog. I really liked Tarkovsky's STALKER when I watched it about a decade ago, but SOLARIS was boring as shit, I thought.

This is a very off-brand dislike for me. Typically, I'd be like "slow, beautifully shot, philosophical sci-fi movie? Sign me up."

Funny because I had the exact opposite experience. Really enjoyed Solaris and while Stalker looked lovely, could barely keep my eyes open.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 2:02 PM, odessasteps said:

When I wrote about 2001 as an undergrad, i went through and figured out there are only 45 minutes of dialogue in the whole movie. 

45 minutes in a movie that's 37 hours long.  And those 45 minutes are spoken at about 3 decibels.  The whole thing is one big sleeping pill.

I finally watched Coco last night, and the ending was pretty gut-wrenching and amazing. Really well done.

Also watched the Lego Batman Movie and was pretty disappointed. I feel it was like giving an SNL character it's own film. It had a few good one-liners and Zach Galifianakis was interesting as the joker...but there wasn't enough there for a feature-length movie.

• Like 2

I've fallen asleep in Bulletproof, Galaxy Quest, Meet Joe Black, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and probably a lot of other movies.  Not really a comment on their quality, mostly just my lifelong terrible sleep habits.  That also doesn't count when I worked at a theater and would go into movies for the purpose of sleeping.

I saw Alita last week and it was pretty good.  There was like four movies worth of plot crammed into it, nothing really got resolved satisfactorily, and the CGI for the main character was not quite there, but it was enjoyably dumb fun.  The best part was probably Christoph Walz saying ridiculous things like "hunter-warrior" and "Vector runs motorball" with a straight face.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 3:07 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I definitely hope Boots Riley has another film in him.

I doubt it. I think he threw every idea he ever had into that film.

What do you figure is the exact film Samuel L. Jackson disappeared into self parody? For Christopher Walken, it’s gotta be right around THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOU’RE DEAD. For Pacino it’s probably SCENT OF A WOMAN. 

Not as familiar with Jackson’s early 2000s stuff, but he’s clearly over the line by THE MAN.

Thing about Jackson is, every once in awhile he does something you can tell he's passionate about, and you suddenly remember "of yeah, this guy is really fucking good."

• Like 1