DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Has anyone played the "cut him slack because of tragic death of his wife" card yet? 

Not that I seen but I have seen this...

Dyq6kubU0AAPPMB.jpg

...which is scary because Terry has all the energy and smoke for black people when it comes to people discussing his attack but none of it for Liam Neeson trying to actual kill innocent black people. When other black men "live in their truth", there are either trash or its toxic black masculinity according to Terry. He is physically threatening other celebs on Twitter. Yet, we should give Liam props for going on the right road. Except you shouldn't be giving props to someone who just didn't a get a chance to do the deed. That's not commendable.

This is why I am not following actual Hollywood celebs on Twitter or any other form of social media.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Michelle Rodriguez with an... interesting take on the Liam Neeson situation. 

It’s all fuckin’ bullshit. Liam Neeson is not a racist. Dude, have you watched Widows? His tongue was so far down Viola Davis’s throat. You can’t call him a racist ever. Racists don’t make out with the race that they hate, especially in the way he does with his tongue—so deep down her throat. I don’t care how good of an actor you are.

Fuckin' hell.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that I seen but I have seen this...

Dyq6kubU0AAPPMB.jpg

...which is scary because Terry has all the energy and smoke for black people when it comes to people discussing his attack but none of it for Liam Neeson trying to actual kill innocent black people. When other black men "live in their truth", there are either trash or its toxic black masculinity according to Terry. He is physically threatening other celebs on Twitter. Yet, we should give Liam props for going on the right road. Except you shouldn't be giving props to someone who just didn't a get a chance to do the deed. That's not commendable.

This is why I am not following actual Hollywood celebs on Twitter or any other form of social media.

Perhaps this is a distinction that doesn't matter but I still think it's worth mentioning:

The phrase "innocent" here is misplaced. Neeson specifically said he was hoping someone would "have a go" (i.e. attack) at him. So he could shoot in self-defense. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Perhaps this is a distinction that doesn't matter but I still think it's worth mentioning:

The phrase "innocent" here is misplaced. Neeson specifically said he was hoping someone would "have a go" (i.e. attack) at him. So he could shoot in self-defense. 

No, it is not. When you're in that state of mind, anything can be construed as an attack especially when it comes to black people. Look at George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson. Look at Amber Guyger. Look at the crazy nut in Florida who shot and killed an African-American man in cold blooded premeditated fashion outside a store for trying to stop his wife from getting harrassed by said crazy guy. There are all types of racist psychopaths who believe they are in the movie Falling Down.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2019 at 7:58 AM, turk128 said:

Polar (2019) was basically Mads Mikkelsen doing John Wick. Mikkelsen is his usual badassery so it was entertaining at least if not original whatsoever.

Watched that flick last night and was pleasantly surprised.

I am not familiar with the source graphic novel, but being a fan of Mads I overlooked a lot of the film's holes and cheesiness.

The violence and gunplay was OTT,  that didn't bother me me.

Lucas and Mikkelsen played off each other so well.

Looked on YouTube and saw that most reviews were negative, but my wife and I enjoyed the flick.

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Watched that flick last night and was pleasantly surprised.

I am not familiar with the source graphic novel, but being a fan of Mads I overlooked a lot of the film's holes and cheesiness.

The violence and gunplay was OTT,  that didn't bother me me.

Lucas and Mikkelsen played off each other so well.

Looked on YouTube and saw that most reviews were negative, but my wife and I enjoyed the flick.

There's legit reason why reviews in general are shiat nowadays; at best, you follow someone you trust and know their bias so you can judge off them.

I signed up for the Criterion Channel last week. It doesn't launch until April, but you get a "free movie of the week" until then. This week was CHUNGKING EXPRESS. You can stream the film with commentary, and they also provide an intro by Berry Jenkins and a 12 minute video essay.

The stream dropped twice while I was watching it, which was annoying, but I have unreliable wifi so it's difficult to tell if it was a problem on their end or mine.

• Like 1

I don't know if it was because I couldn't sleep or if it was what was causing me not to fall asleep, but I spent way too long Monday night thinking about what the cast would be if, instead of being made in 1986, Three Amigos fell into developmental hell and wasn't made until 2006.

I think Will Ferrel is definitely in the Chase/Dusty Bottoms role and Owen Wilson as Short/Ned. I think the obvious choice would have been Ben Stiller for the Marin/Lucky role, but I really hate that. For one, that's just taking the Zoolander cast and that's no fun. If we're thinking this is a McKayverse film, maybe someone like Gary Cole or Paul Rudd? I don't really like John C Reilly for any of the roles.

For El Guapo, you would think Benicio Del Toro would be obvious, but I think he would use it as an excuse to ham it up Collector-style. Hear me out...Javier Bardem. That's an El Guapo that is absolutely menacing, but can also land the comedy, although a little more dialed back Alfonso Arau. For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

I tried coming up with an Apatowverse, but any combination of Franco, Rogen, Hill in any of those roles just seemed wrong.

A View Askew production would be a bit better than Apatow, but not much. Matt Damon as Ned, Ben Affleck as Lucky, Jason Lee as Dusty (maybe swap him and Damon?). If we're saying this is 2001 or so, Luis Guzman would be a great El Guapo. For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

Absolute darkest timeline, though, is if the script gets picked up in 99 and made by Adam Sandler. You have Adam Sandler as Dusty, David Spade as Ned and then some horrorshow pick like Kevin Nealon/Allen Covert/Peter Dante as Lucky. Maybe, maybe you could make it decent by putting Chris Rock as Lucky, because the other choices are just...yeah. Rob Schneider would be El Guapo (you know that's what they would do and it would single handedly sink the entire film). For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

12 hours ago, elizium said:

I don't know if it was because I couldn't sleep or if it was what was causing me not to fall asleep, but I spent way too long Monday night thinking about what the cast would be if, instead of being made in 1986, Three Amigos fell into developmental hell and wasn't made until 2006.

I think Will Ferrel is definitely in the Chase/Dusty Bottoms role and Owen Wilson as Short/Ned. I think the obvious choice would have been Ben Stiller for the Marin/Lucky role, but I really hate that. For one, that's just taking the Zoolander cast and that's no fun. If we're thinking this is a McKayverse film, maybe someone like Gary Cole or Paul Rudd? I don't really like John C Reilly for any of the roles.

For El Guapo, you would think Benicio Del Toro would be obvious, but I think he would use it as an excuse to ham it up Collector-style. Hear me out...Javier Bardem. That's an El Guapo that is absolutely menacing, but can also land the comedy, although a little more dialed back Alfonso Arau. For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

I tried coming up with an Apatowverse, but any combination of Franco, Rogen, Hill in any of those roles just seemed wrong.

A View Askew production would be a bit better than Apatow, but not much. Matt Damon as Ned, Ben Affleck as Lucky, Jason Lee as Dusty (maybe swap him and Damon?). If we're saying this is 2001 or so, Luis Guzman would be a great El Guapo. For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

Absolute darkest timeline, though, is if the script gets picked up in 99 and made by Adam Sandler. You have Adam Sandler as Dusty, David Spade as Ned and then some horrorshow pick like Kevin Nealon/Allen Covert/Peter Dante as Lucky. Maybe, maybe you could make it decent by putting Chris Rock as Lucky, because the other choices are just...yeah. Rob Schneider would be El Guapo (you know that's what they would do and it would single handedly sink the entire film). For Carmen, it would be Salma Hayek.

I'm not going to lie. I would watch the hell out of this

Bad Times at the El Royale was pretty good. It has its Tarantino-isms, but I didn't mind because the uncovering of the mysteries of the different characters was always surprising and helped to layer suspense and strangeness onto the proceedings. The end was actually kind of touching, which was a surprise for something as hard-boiled as this. Jeff Bridges, of course, crushes it. My only complaint is the big bad in the film has a voice that reminds me of Garfield. 

Do yourself a favor if you're gonna watch it and go in cold. And DON'T WATCH THE MAKING OF FIRST.

EDIT: Fair warning though, it is long as hell. And the big bad really does not come off as threatening enough... plus he sounds like Garfield.

...and so to complete the rentals, Sorry To Bother You was watched (again, as I already saw it in the the theater), and I realized that the film it most reminded me of was...? 

Spoiler

RoboCop

So, basically the highest recommendation possible.

That would probably piss off Boots Riley so fucking much, but my opinion stands. Ignore that opinion completely and I still think it's my favorite movie and the best movie of the year.

• Like 1

Thanks to a Polar Vortex and Snow & Ice Storms I was able to catch up on some movies that flew under the radar.

Arizona - I see it got a lot of bad reviews and I'm surprised by that, is it that people don't like or get Danny McBride?

Spoiler

The idea of being trapped in a gated/walled community during the housing crisis while running from a psychopath was a genius idea. 

Support the Girls - Went into this with no expectations and it was great, it was nice to see a movie set in the service industry that wasn't a wacky and/or sex comedy.

Tricky Dick and the Man in Black - Netflix Doc on Johnny Cash's 1970 White House performance with insight into the lead up to it and its aftermath. It was good and didn't shy away from Cash trying to play both sides of the political spectrum during this era and even though the current President is using the Nixon playbook on appealing to a certain segment of the population it didn't bash you over the head with it like some other docs.

Empire of the Sun - It's hard to call a Spielberg film under the radar but it's rarely brought when people talk about his films. I had never seen this the entire way through, just bits and pieces when it aired on tv and even confused some of the early parts with Hope and Glory. Wow this was good and if you've never seen it or maybe watched it in school go seek it out, it should be ranked right below his classics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Thanks to a Polar Vortex and Snow & Ice Storms I was able to catch up on some movies that flew under the radar.

Arizona - I see it got a lot of bad reviews and I'm surprised by that, is it that people don't like or get Danny McBride?

Hide contents

The idea of being trapped in a gated/walled community during the housing crisis while running from a psychopath was a genius idea. 

Support the Girls - Went into this with no expectations and it was great, it was nice to see a movie set in the service industry that wasn't a wacky and/or sex comedy.

Tricky Dick and the Man in Black - Netflix Doc on Johnny Cash's 1970 White House performance with insight into the lead up to it and its aftermath. It was good and didn't shy away from Cash trying to play both sides of the political spectrum during this era and even though the current President is using the Nixon playbook on appealing to a certain segment of the population it didn't bash you over the head with it like some other docs.

Empire of the Sun - It's hard to call a Spielberg film under the radar but it's rarely brought when people talk about his films. I had never seen this the entire way through, just bits and pieces when it aired on tv and even confused some of the early parts with Hope and Glory. Wow this was good and if you've never seen it or maybe watched it in school go seek it out, it should be ranked right below his classics.

I just watched ‘Arizona’, too!  I go back and forth on it.  Sometimes I think it’s kinda brilliant with the setting and the image of blonde Danny McBride as an unstoppable horror movie villain and other times I think it’s kinda nasty and misanthropic.  I either loved it or thought it was just ok. Been almost a week but can’t make up my mind.  

I saw Alita Battle Angel this morning. During one scene set on a street in the background there was a monitor showing

photos of the available bounties and one of them looked like Mr. Glass. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, happjack said:

I did pretty much the exact same thing before rewatching both movies several years ago. "When does Christian Bale eat the jam?"

‘Birdbox’ was all right.  Pretty intense and nerve wracking.  I don’t know if I liked it disliked that very little was explained

Were they Monsters, aliens or some sort of bio-engineered weapons? Why are the crazy culty guys immune being coaxed into suicide? Can the things hurt you if you’re blindfolded or not?

’Support the Girls’ is one of my favourite 2018 films.  Regina Hall should have gotten nominated for it, she’s a force of nature here. I loved it. 

I really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw, it was kind of kitschy in some ways but a delightful send up at the pretentiousness associated with the art world and it walked a very fine line between parody, horror and comedy. It brought to mind House of Leaves and The Locked Room by Paul Auster in some regards.