DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sorry To Bother You was one of the craziest movies I've ever seen.  I think it actually went a little off the rail in the last half hour with the

horse-people and all

Like, I get the symbolism and all, but I think it was a little too much.  Fascinatingly weird little flick, though with tons of stuff happening onscreen constantly, like the first time when Cassius is making the phone calls, in the background the photocopier seems to be going haywire with paper and lights flashing everywhere and it has nothing to do with anything else, just weirdness for weirdness' sake.  Brimming with ideas and imagination, I don't think it was totally successful but I greatly admire it for being so out there.  Lakeith Stanfield is the best, btw.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:39 AM, J.T. said:

It is a 4.5 out of 5 level on the Fruitvale Station Scale of Anger.

I almost picked Fruitvale Station for the Ernie Ladd but then was like "I can't risk JT getting assigned this movie"

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I almost picked Fruitvale Station for the Ernie Ladd but then was like "I can't risk JT getting assigned this movie"

At least you could count on a timely review since you know I own it on DVD.

Loved Roma, some really well shot scenes that provided an awesome juxtaposition between the huge riots going on outside and the internalized issues of Cleo. The recurring car parking scenes were a nice touch too.

I wonder if the biggest obstacle of it winning best picture isn't so much that it'd be the first foreign film to win it, but the first film to have won it whilst currently not having made a profit? 

Yes, it is indeed beautiful.

I've seen about 95% of the stuff on the schedule at least s dozen times, but it's good to see that the schedule contains semi-obscure SB films that don't get a lot of airplay (Descendant of the Sun, The Shadow Whip, Trilogy of Swordsmanship) in addition to the well known Alexander Fu Sheng and Venom Mob standards.

I was kinda bummed that one of my favorite Venom Mob movies, Avenging Warriors of Shaolin / Shaolin Rescuers, and Secret Service of the Imperial Court did not appear to make the cut.

I finally got around to seeing Vice. Bale and Adams both did amazing work. A couple of moments made me laugh out loud in the middle.

Spoiler

The fake retirement and credits, and the Shakespearian duet between Dick and Lynne

• Like 1

It’s all fuckin’ bullshit. Liam Neeson is not a racist. Dude, have you watched Widows? His tongue was so far down Viola Davis’s throat. You can’t call him a racist ever. Racists don’t make out with the race that they hate, especially in the way he does with his tongue—so deep down her throat. I don’t care how good of an actor you are. 

Michelle Rodriguez with an... interesting take on the Liam Neeson situation. 

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Michelle Rodriguez with an... interesting take on the Liam Neeson situation. 

It’s all fuckin’ bullshit. Liam Neeson is not a racist. Dude, have you watched Widows? His tongue was so far down Viola Davis’s throat. You can’t call him a racist ever. Racists don’t make out with the race that they hate, especially in the way he does with his tongue—so deep down her throat. I don’t care how good of an actor you are. 

LOOOOL one of the biggest bigots I used to know would frequently cheat on his girlfriend (later wife) hooking up with black girls in the club.  So I have firsthand knowledge that this is factually inaccurate.  There's all kinds of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics going on when your dick is involved in the decision making process.  Also, fucking someone from the group you hate is obviously some racists' kink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Michelle Rodriguez obviously skipped class during US History since she apparently has never heard about what happened to female African slaves on the middle leg of the Triangle Trade or on the plantations of the South after they were sold into bondage..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Michelle Rodriguez obviously skipped class during US History since she apparently has never heard about what happened to female African slaves on the middle leg of the Triangle Trade or on the plantations of the South after they were sold into bondage..

Or the fact that despite being in the movie industry for twenty years, she doesn't know that actors get paid to do fake things on screen for money.

• Like 5

Both very valid points.

As for the actual Neeson thing... Yeah. I get the point he was trying to make, but maybe that's a story you don't tell while trying to illustrate the dangers of unconscious racism and prove how much you've grown. And by maybe I mean... Don't ever tell that kind of a story you fucking idiot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

As for the actual Neeson thing... Yeah. I get the point he was trying to make, but maybe that's a story you don't tell while trying to illustrate the dangers of unconscious racism and prove how much you've grown. And by maybe I mean... Don't ever tell that kind of a story you fucking idiot.

I found it disturbing that he still uses that emotional place as a trigger for when he wants to convey rage while in character.

I admire his honesty and in time I may be able to forgive him but my boxed set of Taken movies should be on the shelf at my local Goodwill by now.

At least he is not in denial about his feelings or his past, unlike the Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

It's also scary to see the "Oh, That's Just Liam!" sentiment being batted around from the likes of Michelle Rodriguez and Whoopi Goldberg, similarly to the "Oh, That's Just Harvey!" bullshit that went around before Weinstein got what was coming to him.  Celebs are quick to gloss things over and forgive indiscriminately until pressure from the outside world pops their bubble.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Has anyone played the "cut him slack because of tragic death of his wife" card yet? 

Not to my knowledge, but I'm sure that's on the way.

My ridiculously tasteless sense of humor has already written the joke about where he's wandering the streets looking for a random skiing instructor to beat to death.

I am going to hell for sure for having that thought cross my mind.  I blame mental fatigue while being on graveyard shift.  My other alibi is that I am just plain dumb.

• Haha 1

I get the whole personal growth, reflection, attempting to be better thing. I'm big on either making amends for my past shittyness, sweeping it under the rug, or revisionist history as to what I really did/said at the time, or whatever form of regret/amends is appropriate or doable at that point in time. Whatever. 

......But way too hard to understand that angle when it's in the name of promoting a shitty film that's going to do terrible business.  At what point in someone's mind do you think "publicity tour for probably should have been straight to DVD movie" is a substitute for confessional? 

As much as there's genuine outrage, and there's those looking for blood for the sake of it, there's plenty just pissed at what they see as a bad idea for a publicity stunt.