DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Saw IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK last night. Thought it was better than MOONLIGHT. A lot of amazing scenes, but the conversation between Fonny and Daniel (Atlanta’s Bryan Tyree Henry) was just hit wrenching.

• Like 1

I watched The Meg last night.  Somehow it is almost two hours long.  There is a kid in the movie who might be the worst child actor I’ve ever seen.  She makes Lily from Modern Family look like a tiny Meryl Streep.  Anyway it started with the premise that the bottom of Marianas Trench is actually a cloud of gases covering another lower level full of previously unknown sea creatures and gets dumber and sillier from there.  I liked Rain Wilson though.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, driver said:

I caught Serenity in an almost empty theater this morning. I enjoyed it for what it was(Pseudo Noir(if that isn't a thing, it should be)).

Did Mal and River do anything cool?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Control said:

Saw IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK last night. Thought it was better than MOONLIGHT. A lot of amazing scenes, but the conversation between Fonny and Daniel (Atlanta’s Bryan Tyree Henry) was just hit wrenching.

The scene where the 2 families meet to discuss the news is all time great. Some brutal one liners in that. I re-watched it again because it was just top notch.

The rest was somewhat disappointing. I wish they'd adapted it so it were in linear fashion, personally. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Control said:

My boo and I watched that on Saturday night and The Hate U Give on Sunday.  I had a wonderful cinematic experience but I am very angry with white people today.  The Hate U Give being snubbed in the GGs and the Oscars just makes me all the more furious.

It was interesting how The Hate U Give pulled you in two different directions by generating an internal conversation between your social justice self and your protective parent self. 

As much as you wanted Star to find her voice and speak truth to injustice, you did not want her to put herself in mortal danger by outing herself as a witness to a serious crime.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

My boo and I watched that on Saturday night and The Hate U Give on Sunday.  I had a wonderful cinematic experience but I am very angry with white people today.  The Hate U Give being snubbed in the GGs and the Oscars just makes me all the more furious.

You need to rate these things on the Fruitvale Station scale for clarity. 

16 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I really enjoyed Juliet, Naked as a throwaway film to watch with the significant other. Ethan Hawke was really good. 

Didn't really get Thoroughbreds. Felt like a tribute to about 4-5 different films, and not much else. 

Man I LOVED Thoroughbreds.  Found it to be a great melange of creepy and funny.