DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The last time I posted about this subject, Esquire magazine was preparing to publish an article written by a homophobic journalist who has a bizarre obsession with me dating back to 1997. After careful fact-checking and, in consideration of the lack of credible sources, Esquire chose not to publish this piece of vendetta journalism. That didn’t stop this writer from selling it to The Atlantic. It’s sad that The Atlantic would stoop to this low standard of journalistic integrity. Again, I am forced to reiterate that this story rehashes claims from bogus lawsuits filed by a disreputable cast of individuals willing to lie for money or attention. And it is no surprise that, with Bohemian Rhapsody being an award-winning hit, this homophobic smear piece has been conveniently timed to take advantage of its success.

giphy.gif 

GammaRay (presented by Skybound Entertainment) and Celestial pictures have announced they will stream a Shaw Brothers movie marathon on Twitch from February 4 to February 8, 2019. The marathon will include 44 full-length features from the Shaw Brothers’ extensive library of kung fu titles, including iconic films such as King Boxer, Crippled Avengers, and Five Deadly Venoms. This viewing event will be streamed globally and exclusively on Twitch, marking the first time Twitch has featured kung fu films.

After the marathon airs from February 4-8, there will be double feature movie nights on Thursdays and Fridays at 5:00 pm PT for four weeks. The marathon is also the first time GammaRay has hosted full-length features on Twitch.

I would like footage of @J.T. trying to figure out how to use Twitch

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 1:15 PM, J.H. said:

Much of the Rocky franchise walks the fence between great and terrible expertly.

James

Dude, this is my exact opinion of the entire Fast and Furious franchise.  There is something to be said about a great terrible movie that does exactly what it sets out to do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I would like footage of @J.T. trying to figure out how to use Twitch

Fuck you.  I have like four or five Twitch feeds subbed including The Amanda Show: a Destiny 2 PvP feed.. 

I should be able to find that Shaw Brothers thingie..

Speaking of Kung Fu movies, The Man With The Iron Fists 2 is on rotation on The Starz! premium networks and is also available on Starz! On Demand.

20 hours ago, supremebve said:

Dude, this is my exact opinion of the entire Fast and Furious franchise.  There is something to be said about a great terrible movie that does exactly what it sets out to do.

I will defend Fast Five as a gennuinely good movie before they became more and more ridiculous, but you're absolutely right.  I still laugh in the first one they're hijacking DVD players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I will defend Fast Five as a gennuinely good movie before they became more and more ridiculous, but you're absolutely right.  I still laugh in the first one they're hijacking DVD players.

Fast Five is an unbelievably good movie especially considering that it may very well be the most absurd movie of all time.  The degree on difficulty on making a movie that absurd that good is extremely high.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is Five the one where they're destroying cars and buildings with a bank vault? Yeah, that was pretty goofy. 

Yes

Everyone should have big dumb movies the enjoy (Like among other ones - the first two Brendan Fraser Mummy movies)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is Five the one where they're destroying cars and buildings with a bank vault? Yeah, that was pretty goofy. 

I remember the opening scene when Paul Walker and Vin Diesel rode on the back of their cars like skateboards and jumped off of a crazy bridge.  I looked at my friend and we both understood that if this movie was based on any type of reality this would be the end of the movie because both of those dudes would have died.  By the end of the movie, we would have both sworn to you that it was one of the best movies we'd ever watched in the theater.

• Like 1

When I got home and discovered that M. Night self-financed this thing, I thought, well, that makes sense.

Also, Bruce Willis is now in Undertaker territory. Guy is either too old to go anymore or M. Night has no idea how to direct a fight scene. The fight scenes basically amounted to schoolyard pushing. So if you like push fighting, this is your movie?

54 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I heard current Bruce Willis described on a podcast recently as an "elderly egg who looks at things and chooses not to emote".

That pretty much describes him perfectly in Glass.

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Fast Five was basically Ocean's 11 with cars and biceps. It's perfect and literally changed my opinion on the entire franchise.

It was MASK with vehicles that did not transform into other types of vehicles.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

It, and Furious 6, were Saint's Row the Third in movie form.

Pretty much this. That's how I always looked at it.

I LOVE the Fast series more than anyone should, but I'm not going to deny that losing Paul Walker makes the series not as good and Scott Eastwood isn't close to a good replacement for him. The other problem with the last one is that it was way too serious and not big, dumb, and fun, like the others since Fast 5.

Sign Zak Efron to take Paul Walker's place and make the movies big and dumb and fun again. Furious 7 wasn't the best in the series, but it was still good and still had extremely ridiculous shit like the Rock popping pills, flexing his arm to break a cast on it, grabbing his gun, and telling his daughter that daddy has to go to work. 

Fate of the Furious had Charlize Theron looking like she was just making a paycheck, a cringey subplot with Vin's kid with the agent from Brazil, etc. And while the sub scene was big and dumb, it wasn't much fun aside from the Rock using his strength to push a torpedo out of the way.