DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

In the words of Monty Python...and now for something completely different:

DwT7mU8V4AAM_Og.jpg

It is hilarious that the CoS have interpreted Bale's comments as a compliment to Lucifer.

If you have watched any of Bale's recent interviews where he talks about Dick Cheney, his personal opinion of the man is not very flattering.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is hilarious that the CoS have interpreted Bale's comments as a compliment to Lucifer. 

If you have watched any of Bale's recent interviews where he talks about Dick Cheney, his personal opinion of the man is not very flattering.

Is this CoS the same ones who sued Netflix for Sabrina? I've heard they are actually more of a parody than serious Satan worshipers.

There are two main branches of Satanism. The Anton Levy style "Ayn Rand objectivism dressed up with dark ritual" bullshit, and the Satanic Temple "secular humanist trolls that fight for the first amendment enforcement"

Neither worships Satan.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There are two main branches of Satanism. The Anton Levy style "Ayn Rand objectivism dressed up with dark ritual" bullshit, and the Satanic Temple "secular humanist trolls that fight for the first amendment enforcement"

Neither worships Satan.

O_RLY-Quite.jpg

I await your next series of religious studies entitled "What's Up With This God Fellow, Anyway". 

I rewatched both Running Scared and Midnight Run while taking care of the baby yesterday. Running Scared is so fucking good, like way better than I remember. I mean it made you kind of believe Billy Crystal could be credible  in an action movie. Also it is pretty much character actor heaven as it busts out Joey Pants and Dan Hedeya on you, both being awesome of course. I'm kinda surprised that Crystal and Gregory Hynes never did another film together because they played off each other so well.

Hey speaking of Joey Pants, Midnight Run is just as awesome as it was when my dad took me to see it when I was a kid. It also helps you fill out the Character Actor BINGO card as you have Joey Pants, Dennis Farina and Philip Baker Hall in there plus Yaphet Kotto, though I'm not sure if he counts as "character Actor" but I'm pretty sure John Ashton does. So weird that De Niro made this because he got rejected for the lead role in Big (yes the Tom Hanks movie). Its really Dennis Farina thatstands out because they give him such great lines

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

How can you not apprecite a movie where perennial nice guy Jimmy Smits plays a scumbag drug dealer?

James

Or when perennial sleazy heavy, Dan Hedaya plays the best movie police captain of all times. 

He stole every scene he was in.

You are detectives.  GO AND DETECT~!

Um.  My gigantic teen crush on Tracy Reed might have also had something to do with me liking that movie so much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Dan Hedeya is pretty much awesome in everything he's in. He might be my favorite guy to play Nixon (he's neck and neck with Philip Baker Hall)

James

Even great as the 4th best Lectroid in Buckaroo Banzai.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that Running Scared is my favorite buddy cop movie ever.

Added to my list of movies to see.

The Other Guys is probably my favorite buddy cop movie with Tango & Cash being up there, too.  Admittedly, I haven't seen that last one in a couple decades.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, The Natural said:

I forgot Olivia Coleman was in Hot Fuzz. I do remember she was in Matt Smith's first full episode as the Doctor in The Eleventh Hour.

She's also in Flowers on Netflix.

• Like 1

Just got a year in review email from Letterboxd. Was shocked to discover that my most watched actor was....

DICK MILLER.

87750.png

And apparently I watched Joe Dante films more than any other director(which I probably only saw 3 or 4) so I guess it adds up.

• Like 1

Loved Green Book, really hope it wins Best Picture.  Great character depth of both guys. Can appreciate that it was a really simple take on segregation and institutional racism that was distracting and frustrating at times.

The Favorite I didn't really enjoy at all. Overemphasis on wacky voices and period piece costumes, and a real obsession with rape jokes throughout. Interesting, but ultimately,, not fantastic. The distracting harpischord throughout did me no favors.

Beautiful Boy was rough viewing, but I think pulled no punches in that situation, and was realistic as it could be. 

So I turn on the TV and the original Karate Kid is on and it's at the scene where Miyagi gets drunk and breaks down over the revelation of how his wife and son died, and how he treats Daniel like the son he lost. Then just before the tournament,  he pretends he doesn't speak English and then goes welcome at the end. It's such a great performance, in just had to come and mention it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

The Favorite I didn't really enjoy at all. Overemphasis on wacky voices and period piece costumes, and a real obsession with rape jokes throughout. Interesting, but ultimately,, not fantastic. The distracting harpischord throughout did me no favors.

Interesting, but ultimately not fantastic pretty much nails how I felt about it. I totally forgot about all of the rape humor, but I can almost understand given the period. And while I don't have any problem with the word cunt, I've never heard it used more here or heard the word sound as gross as it did here.

I know a couple others here were going to see it. I'm curious to see what you all thought. And regardless of what my overall feelings for the movie are, Olivia Colman was still excellent in it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Austin said:

So I turn on the TV and the original Karate Kid is on and it's at the scene where Miyagi gets drunk and breaks down over the revelation of how his wife and son died, and how he treats Daniel like the son he lost. Then just before the tournament,  he pretends he doesn't speak English and then goes welcome at the end. It's such a great performance, in just had to come and mention it.

I loved this movie as a kid, to the point that it is probably the movie I've watched the most times.  I watched it recently, and was pleasantly surprised at just how well it held up.  I think the Karate Kid is a movie everyone loved at the time, but I think it has become a little underrated.  I remembered it as the goofy movie I loved as a child, but it is a legitimately good movie because of the little touches like that Mr. Miyagi scene.  

• Like 3

Maybe it's the older man in me but it was the little touches that the remake didnt have. I saw it as a kid as well and really didnt get it. I just saw a kid overcome through Karate and it made me want to learn it. But seeing it with my older eyes I do appreciate it more from Miyagi's perspective