DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 MOVIE GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So I saw Bird Box yesterday.   It was fine.  The reason I mention this though is because.... well, people are stupid:

If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what this is.  L'enfer, c'est les autres

• Like 1

I know some people on here love The Mist so after rewatching it again on TV today probably for the second time in full and at least 5 other times here and there for unspecific amounts of time so I got some questions! 

I would spoiler tag but I think this has been out long enough. ?

1.So the short haired lady leaves the store in the beginning and is shown at the end safe with her kids. Does this mean everyone should have left when she did or was she just lucky? Is this to show Jane’s character he should have done the same when she did and his family would still be safe? If it’s the latter OUCH. 

2. Did I miss something(sound too low for screams?bathroom break?) when his neighbor left with his “group” and basically nothing came of that or were they some of the people all webbed up in the pharmacy? In the busses at the end? 

Death Wish 3 on a premium channel is so much better. This film has WAY more titties than I had any clue about (though of course none of those scenes are, pardon the pun, titillating) and the whole thing is just straight mayhem. Stupid mayhem, but whatever. It's still one of the only action films from a major franchise where the hero's ever had to reload his weapon or ran out of ammo, I think. Alex Winter in a drug-fueled mania jumping on top of a car screaming that he wants to give cunnilingus to the occupant might just be this series' secret high point.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Death Wish 3 on a premium channel is so much better. This film has WAY more titties than I had any clue about (though of course none of those scenes are, pardon the pun, titillating) and the whole thing is just straight mayhem. 

Yeah, the main female victim in that movie is Marina Sertis.  Needless to say, when she got the role as Counselor Deanna Troi on Star Trek: TNG, I could not unsee what I saw in Death Wish 3 whenever she was featured heavily in an episode.  It made me sad.

I know that Lawrence Fishburne probably wishes he could pull a Deadpool 2 and travel back in time to shoot his past self in the head before he signs up to play the gang member in Death Wish 2.

Actually never seen that one, always heard it was more grim than the first. Which I imagine is REALLY hard to do. 

Part 4 came on after 3 and while it wasn't as fun, it had about ten times the firepower. It's like they said "fuck it, let's just give him the armory of a Columbian guerilla group and have him blow shit up". Also features John P. Ryan in his most teeth-gnashing role ever as the main villain.

My wife loves period pieces and really wanted to see The Favourite so we saw that last night. 

I'm not a fan of that period and I also hated the Lobster. Actually, she hated that one too, but she wound up loving this and I found it to be pretty tolerable. Definitely better than the Lobster, but Yorgos' style of filmmaking is like Wes Anderson on steroids. A million swing pans, quirky humor and dialogue, etc.

I thought it was more along the lines of the less funny Wes Anderson movies. I was more interested in the historical accuracy of it, which is somewhat questionable from what I understand. Everyone turns in a great performance, Olivia Colman in particular.

That woman has done it all and has done it all very well, but she's never spoken of that often. Her performance should change that. 

There was also a subtle Spy vs Spy nature to the movie that I liked. 

Like I said though, the period is not my cup of tea and it's not a director I like very much, but I still thought it was good. 

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

My wife loves period pieces and really wanted to see The Favourite so we saw that last night. 

I'm not a fan of that period and I also hated the Lobster. Actually, she hated that one too, but she wound up loving this and I found it to be pretty tolerable. Definitely better than the Lobster, but Yorgos' style of filmmaking is like Wes Anderson on steroids. A million swing pans, quirky humor and dialogue, etc.

We can't be friends anymore.

*exits stage left*

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Everyone turns in a great performance, Olivia Colman in particular.

That woman has done it all and has done it all very well, but she's never spoken of that often. Her performance should change that. 

She's not spoken of that often in America? Well, she's already a national treasure over here. But if this movie gets her one of the big movie nominations, and then being in that Netflix royalty show as well this year, that should put her international profile a lot bigger.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

She's not spoken of that often in America? Well, she's already a national treasure over here. But if this movie gets her one of the big movie nominations, and then being in that Netflix royalty show as well this year, that should put her international profile a lot bigger.

I feel like she's practically unknown in the States.  If viewers have heard of her, it's almost certainly because of Broadchurch.

Full disclosure: the only things on her filmography that I could name off the top of my head are Broadchurch and Murder on the Orient Express.

Not watched Hot Fuzz recently then? Also, she was the number three star of The Night Manager, after Tom Hiddlestone and Hugh Laurie. I'm guessing Peep Show isn't really known over there, though. There'll be handful of people who love it and think it's genius, and everyone else will never have heard of it.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Basically that. 

I'm still a little surprised that Simon Pegg went on to be as big as he is when I started off seeing him in Spaced and Big Train.

Also a lot of them kind of have sneakily successful careers like Steve Coogan. He's playing Stan Laurel in Laurel and Hardy soon, but look him up on imdb. You've seen him in loads of films already, but you probably didn't know who he was.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 32-bit Track Club said:

Full disclosure: the only things on her filmography that I could name off the top of my head are Broadchurch and Murder on the Orient Express.

Its sad, but I don't even remember her in Murder on the Orient Express despite watching and liking said movie.

20 hours ago, AxB said:

Not watched Hot Fuzz recently then?

I didn't realize she was in it until watching it again after Broadchurch. It did explain why I had some odd vague familiarity of her when I first watched Broadchurch.

20 hours ago, AxB said:

Not watched Hot Fuzz recently then? Also, she was the number three star of The Night Manager, after Tom Hiddlestone and Hugh Laurie. 

Ugh.  I liked the Night Manager quite a bit but completely forgot she was in it.  I did say "off the top of my head."

Somehow, I've never seen Hot Fuzz.  I guess I should give it a watch.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm pretty aware of who Steve Coogan is, but I'm sure the majority of people wouldn't know. 

Lol, I've heard the name but literally cannot name one movie, series, or special he's appeared in.  For some odd reason, when I try to remember what he's been in, all I can think of are Steve McQueen movies.

• Haha 1