DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

What I really want to know is what happens when they have a bad show or really dumb angle and Dave trashes it. Or he reports something they don't want reported, etc.

Right now they're all friendly with him, but that relationship could change real fast.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Apparently he wants to incorporate numbers, win/loss records and present it as boxing.

That's what EVOLVE was doing early on and then abandoned because it was pointless and harder to work with. I can see them doing the same.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

What I really want to know is what happens when they have a bad show or really dumb angle and Dave trashes it. Or he reports something they don't want reported, etc.

Right now they're all friendly with him, but that relationship could change real fast.

I think the point of having him on the take is to avoid that. 

7 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Did u listen to the podcast?

Apparently he wants to incorporate numbers, win/loss records and present it as boxing. He cited Goldberg’s streak. Don’t think he understands that it wasn’t the streak that worked, it was the aura. 

Some people think in words, some people think in pictures, and some people think in numbers. And numbers people (and pictures people for that matter) don't understand what words people mean when they talk about stories and meanings, and personalities.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Some people think in words, some people think in pictures, and some people think in numbers. And numbers people (and pictures people for that matter) don't understand what words people mean when they talk about stories and meanings, and personalities.

And this guy is 100% a numbers a person. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If anyone votes for Beefcake, they're just an asshole with very shitty taste.

2qrzuo.jpg

Seriously though, Jericho signing with AEW is clearly Savage-esque.

Not THE top guy, but A top guy. He'll eventually win the title and headline, but he'll only be a transitional/temporary champ.

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Nope. I just think it’s hilarious that you think Melzer’s credibility is on such fragile footing.

And I say this as someone who also isn’t a big fan of Meltzer. 

I’d disagree. I think his credibility takes a hit a lot of times he opens his mouth.

Anyway, give the podcast a listen, it’s interesting. He alleviated some of my concerns. 

13 minutes ago, Thibs said:

I’d disagree. I think his credibility takes a hit a lot of times he opens his mouth.

Anyway, give the podcast a listen, it’s interesting. He alleviated some of my concerns. 

As much as I think some of the things that come out of his mouth aren’t the most well-formed thoughts, he’s such an institution with his audience that nothing your or I say will change that. Even if he’s betting on a losing horse here, his rep is safe.

I do plan to give the pod a listen later. Just to get a read on him that’s not a live event write up from a decade ago. 

• Like 1

I dont think AEW will be bringing many WWE Legends in at all, Rey Mysterio was the best fit obviously, I think Jericho has proven with his NJPW run to be an asset for the current guys, he knows his limits and he works to either get his opponent over or atleast keep his opponent over and Jericho seems in tune to what the current fans want. It seems people expect them to make the same bad decisions TNA did. Khan is a younger businessman who is a true fan that knows the business and knows what he wants. I'm sure we'll see more modern former WWE talent come in but, it wont be just off the merit of them being Former WWE talent. I don't think they need a John Cena or Hogan or Reigns level talent to come in, I'd say Omega is a big enough star if he comes in. I think that they'll sell out the first show maybe not nearly as fast as All In. I think they be fine come time for the first show.  It will be interesting to what WWE/NXT guys ask for releases.

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

Apparently he wants to incorporate numbers, win/loss records and present it as boxing. He cited Goldberg’s streak. Don’t think he understands that it wasn’t the streak that worked, it was the aura. 

Citing Goldberg’s streak as an example of how you’re going to treat wins and losses is amusing if you remember the streak was kayfabed.

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

Dear god.

Actually, it’ll be pretty amusing to see Meltzer’s ideal product go down in flames. It’ll be the final nail into whatever credibility he had left. 

You're a funny fellow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

Dear god.

Actually, it’ll be pretty amusing to see Meltzer’s ideal product go down in flames. It’ll be the final nail into whatever credibility he had left. 

I remember right around the time Scott Coker rehashed the K-1 Dynamite!! concept for Bellator, on Observer radio, Dave was pretty giddy about his buddy going back to the kakutogi boom era. He pitched the idea that episode since Coker was doing kickboxing and MMA on the same show (the only difference w/ Bellator is the MMA was in a cage and the kickboxing was in ring), the only missing ingredient was pro wrestling (and boxing IIRC). Keep in mind, this is like six or seven months after Impact was off Spike.

I dunno if he told Coker then that it could work or if Coker lifted the idea on his own, but Dave coming back from his trip recently after seeing RIZIN's NYE shows makes believe he feels that can work on some level. I mean he raves about KSW all the time. I think the disconnect comes in at the fact that RIZIN and KSW run five shows at the most a year and the Japanese and Polish cultures absorb MMA and fighting collaborating w/ pop culture in a different way. You need some Polish rapper with a bunch of scary face tattoos fighting a Polish strongman to do ratings for KSW just like RIZIN needs their hot teenage Japanese kickboxing sensation/idol to fight the best boxer of his generation in some weird legit exhibition bout. Where Coker failed miserably at is the fact you had your standard fare MMA fighters and kickboxers (and uh Lashley I guess) doing the K-1/PRIDE production with the super elaborate (by Bellator standards...just a couple video walls from mid 90s WWF) entrances and Lenne Hardt doing the crazy PRIDE style ring announcements. The crowd in San Jose was dead silent (and not like Japan polite silent) for like 75% of the MMA fights and silent for all the kickboxing because no one watches kickboxing in the U.S. The pacing was horrendous for a three and a half hour show. The second Bellator Dynamite card in St. Louis was a little better, but ratings wise it did bad whereas that first card just did average and underwhelming ratings.

I think it was telling that Dave just sat through a 10 hour MMA show with 20+ fights (broken into two seperate cards) in Japan with his son and then some Japanese guy walks up to him and basically tells him that most of the audience in the arena basically watch 1 or 2 fights and then hit the concession stands rinse repeat the entire night.

If you try to do that with wrestling, you would have to just lift the best concepts and then leave everything back when it was fresh which was fourteen to fifteen years ago. Moreover, there aren't enough stars in pro wrestling to do that or stars outside willing to just participate. You can't replicate the Austin/Tyson or Rodman/Malone/NWO stuff like PRIDE and K-1 were able to do frequently five or six years after the fact. I don't think Stephen Amell is that dude. Having the pageantry and production is good, but if you're not original, it's going to be super evident.

• Like 1

WWE has been aware of the promotion since they started network talks. The shows will begin the same time their shows reboot under new contracts, and it's fair to guess that given the expectations from Fox, coupled with the heat from a promotion with serious money and a national TV deal, WWE is concerned they won't be able to hit targets.

FUCK YEEEEAH TUESDAY NIGHT WARS!!!! I can't wait to tune into Eyada on Wednesday to hear what the segment by segment ratings breakdowns were and how WWE booking will change week by week because of it.

I have this weird feeling that this is either going to kill Vince or power him up for another ten years. But either way the over-reaction to this is going to be the most interesting thiing on WWE in awhile and might at least up the tempo of storylines a bit. And if AEW gets even a little glimmer of success early on that gives them hope, then who knows what batshit stuff they'll do to try and capture that moment.

I'm tingling.

• Like 1

Just now, piranesi said:

I have this weird feeling that this is either going to kill Vince or power him up for another ten years.

Are we talking about AEW or the soon to be the fourth or fifth best football league on the planet?

I think it's more a thorn in the side of Hunter and Stephanie than it is for Vince. He's won his wars, and he has this thing ready to be served up on a silver platter for them to continue world domination, and now they have to deal with this shit.

1 minute ago, Fallacy! said:

I think it's more a thorn in the side of Hunter and Stephanie than it is for Vince. He's won his wars, and he has this thing ready to be served up on a silver platter for them to continue world domination, and now they have to deal with this shit.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Are we talking about AEW or the soon to be the fourth or fifth best football league on the planet?

Damn. So Vince has become like Tennyson's Ulysses in this. He's not going to suit up one more time and if he does he won't be able to keep up anyway plus he's distracted by old man shit like "smash mouth football" and "George Blanda" and shit.

I like the idea that the new generation of owners facing a tiny little startup and not having the hard-won battle experience make all sorts of mistakes that end up leading to it becoming a big problem. It's a nice next chapter in the McMahon saga that adequately mirrors the character arc of James Spader in MANNEQUIN.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

A big part of his aura was the streak...  

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

It will be interesting to what WWE/NXT guys ask for releases.

I am too but you have to figure the top of the NXT food chain is locked in for awhile and for the ones that want to go over you would think there is a chain of command already in place over there.  They would be better off plucking what they can from the withering vine of Impact