DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's nobody they can sign from WWE who is going to move a needle at all. TNA signed everyone and didn't change their ratings at all.

WCW only really moved the needle when they signed Hulk Hogan. The 2019 equivalent of 1994 Hogan would be Cena, basically. John Cena ain't available. I love AJ Styles, but he's not going to suddenly gain them a fleet of new viewers. And he's the most likely big name out there they could get.

They are going to have what ever audience Jericho, Cody, the Bucks and likely Kenny brings them. They need to make the show good enough that those people keep watching and tell their friends to watch. 

They can bring in guys like Goldberg and RVD. 

TNA did have the curiosity factor initially with all those guys and the ratings did nice. However the show wasn’t good enough to retain the viewers.

2 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Okay, so... where are they going to get talent? Jericho is good for them... but most people wouldn't be able to pick the Bucks and Omega out of a police line up. So Joey Janela and Joey Ryan? I'm honestly confused because the WWE has a huge amount of talent under wraps and every one else has signed a multi-year deal some where else. Where are the horses coming from?

They should book Kevin Nash for every big event, and hope he shows up.

Goldberg would move the needle some, maybe close to what it did when Hogan  first jumped. A Goldberg heel turn would not move the needle anywhere close to Hogan’s turn though.

To Robert’s point, saying “the Bulgarian guy” couldn’t cut it outside of WWE because he’s been a WWE lifer who makes funny videos is an odd critique when this promotion is being spearheaded by Cody Rhodes on the back of the Being the Elite videos.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Goldberg would move the needle some, maybe close to what it did when Hogan  first jumped. A Goldberg heel turn would not move the needle anywhere close to Hogan’s turn though.

To Robert’s point, saying “the Bulgarian guy” couldn’t cut it outside of WWE because he’s been a WWE lifer who makes funny videos is an odd critique when this promotion is being spearheaded by Cody Rhodes on the back of the Being the Elite videos.

Feel free to call me a clueless idiot when "the Bulgarian guy" bets on himself & leaves to find the success he will never get in WWE. Until then, he's had 2 contract renewal options & for a guy who is always talking shit about how he deserves more he couldn't re-sign fast enough. WWE-lifer syndrome to a 'T'.

That's one of the bonus great things about AEW existing. It will expose a lot of WWE-lifers who talk big but have zero initiative or real belief in themselves. Just cogs in a machine no matter what they privately/publicly.

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

Feel free to call me a clueless idiot when "the Bulgarian guy" bets on himself & leaves to find the success he will never get in WWE. Until then, he's had 2 contract renewal options & for a guy who is always talking shit about how he deserves more he couldn't re-sign fast enough. WWE-lifer syndrome to a 'T'.

That's one of the bonus great things about AEW existing. It will expose a lot of WWE-lifers who talk big but have zero initiative or real belief in themselves. Just cogs in a machine no matter what they privately/publicly.

Jonny has a point though...isn't that kind of exactly what people said about Cody when he left the WWE?

I don't think talent had an opportunity like AEW in the past when their WWE contracts were coming up for renewal. The next 6-18 months will be an interesting time for would-be free agents.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I said it was an “odd critique”, not that you were a clueless idiot. Even if what you said about Rusev was true, the exact same thing could be said about Cody right before he left, minus the funny videos.  That said, I don’t think it’s a hot take to say Rusev is better than Cody in pretty much every way except last name.

There will absolutely be one or two (or “Ten!”) WWE midcard guys who either stick around in the midcard or leave and bust (I’m looking at you Dolph), but Rusev seems like the odd guy to single out.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Kind of a neat trick to be aware of Rusev's thoughts, feelings, and motivations, but not his name.

To be honest, if he jumps ship, that won’t be his name. Which would be a good thing. Rusev is in need of a new name, and repacking. Rusev Day was a fun get yourself noticed comedy act, but it’s run it’s course. 

When Impact was on Spike TV I do believe names like Kurt Angle and Sting and Jeff Hardy helped to a degree but it was shown over the years that it didn't really matter who they had on the roster,  Impact didn't fall off until they squandered everything with poor booking and poor management.  At one point they were doing close to 2 million viewers a week.  That is a shade under what the WWE is doing right now.  

Of course this was back before cord cutting took off and what not so I would not expect AEW to be able to pull in those type of numbers.  If they land on a big network there are enough names in the promotion and enough interest in an alternative for them to do well in whatever time slot they get.  I think a lot of this just depends on the network.  Spike TV was a big network at the time and people were used to watching wrestling on it because of WWE.  

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When Impact was on Spike TV I do believe names like Kurt Angle and Sting and Jeff Hardy helped to a degree but it was shown over the years that it didn't really matter who they had on the roster,  Impact didn't fall off until they squandered everything with poor booking and poor management.  At one point they were doing close to 2 million viewers a week.  That is a shade under what the WWE is doing right now.  

Of course this was back before cord cutting took off and what not so I would not expect AEW to be able to pull in those type of numbers.  If they land on a big network there are enough names in the promotion and enough interest in an alternative for them to do well in whatever time slot they get.  I think a lot of this just depends on the network.  Spike TV was a big network at the time and people were used to watching wrestling on it because of WWE.  

I think it really just comes down to the writing of the show and how must see it is. Along with big names to get initial attention.