DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

33 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I have hard time believing that RoH wants to become third (fourth? fifth?) wheel in this "alliance".

Is that worse than being left out entirely though?

1 minute ago, Thibs said:

Does anyone believe this nonsense about the rally being across the street from the Smackdown tapings was a coincidence?

See @Oyaji's previous post:

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I did lol @ Garrett 'n' Dave saying the conference next week being the same day/location as SD was a coincidence (Jacksonville I get, but the date?! "They're all coming back from Japan, they would've done it this week if they weren't." Right.)

I mean, I doubt they would've waited for WWE to come to town, or did it in a different city to be across from WWE.

But I'm pretty sure they picked the date and time for that reason.

Right, its not something that they would actively avoid. 

Here’s another question. The hype for this is already pretty crazy. They’re going to get even more buzz going forward.

What does this thing need to be to not be considered a disappointment? 

I feel like anything less then a big time TV deal (TNT or something equivalent) would take the wind out of their sails.

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is that worse than being left out entirely though?

I don't know, I might be wrong here, but I think that after MSG sell out there might be a bit of ego thing going on. Sure, everyone says that people bought tickets for The Elite and NJPW, but I'm sure that this is not how RoH sees things. They probably are going to feature their new exclusive guys on it heavily and expect it to be big boom in their business. Now, you get your coming out party and after couple of months you basically get reduced to feeder fed. I doubt that higher ups want that.

30 minutes ago, Thibs said:

What does this thing need to be to not be considered a disappointment? 

A major WWE signing who could pack an arena (i.e. A.J. Styles). If Khan is actually dropping the reported $100 million into the promotion, this should be easy to do. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

A major WWE signing who could pack an arena (i.e. A.J. Styles). If Khan is actually dropping the reported $100 million into the promotion, this should be easy to do. 

That would certainly be exciting. Although idk that AJ Styles on his own packs arenas.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not that this really matters, despite some of the odd posts in this thread -- this is the best and most level headed discussion about this company I've read anywhere.

Elsewhere it's either extremely negative or way to over the top pro claiming it will close down WWE in 2 years with AJ, Nakamura, Rollins, Bàlor, the Good Brothers, etc. jumping ship immediately.

This is why I'm glad I focus on reading this stuff here instead of elsewhere. The extremes of both sides would make my head explode in annoyance otherwise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's actually one of the matches I just watched. Best Glacier match ever.

The best Glacier match ever is when he unveils the Icepick / Asian Spike as his new finisher and nearly tears Lash LeRoux a second glottis hole

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

TNT/TBS/Turner/WB would be crazy not to want wrestling back on their network. From what I gather they are desperate for a hit, and tugging at the heartstrings of nostalgia would be a great start to get them what they need. Also bring back Braves baseball!

To really pull at the heartstrings you need to run Xena or Hercules episodes right after then the replay of AEW. 

• Like 6

I was going to ask if that would be enough but then you'd have more creative freedom and a bigger chunk of merch percentages very likely, so yeah it should be for most if they want to try something else. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Either they are going to way over extend themselves with that $100 million investment, or WWE is wildly underpaying talent with those billion dollar tv deals starting later this year.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Either they are going to way over extend themselves with that $100 million investment, or WWE is wildly underpaying talent with those billion dollar tv deals starting later this year.

They have to have a huge TV deal in the works. They have to. How else are they gonna offset the costs then?

its already been reported that they’re gonna run a limited live event schedule. So it has to be a TV deal.

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dave says wwe pays 9% of revenue to the wrestlers, and they gross 800 million per year so that’s roughly 80 million per year for the entire roster. 

But they absolutely need a good tv deal or the owner will just keep losing money until he finally gets sick of it. 

17 minutes ago, Thibs said:

They have to have a huge TV deal in the works. They have to. How else are they gonna offset the costs then?

its already been reported that they’re gonna run a limited live event schedule. So it has to be a TV deal.

If they were getting a huge TV deal that's going to pay for everything, why would Khan need to invest $100 million?

I have to say I'm skeptical of the TV rumours. Both because historically TV deal rumours are bullshit 99% of the time, and also because if they were so close as they're letting on I have to believe they would have waited to make the announcement until it was locked down.

If they're paying WWE-level money without a big TV deal, this is dead in a year.  There's a fucking metric ton of bullshit being peddled in regards to this promotion.

Guess it really is being run by a Rhodes.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

If they were getting a huge TV deal that's going to pay for everything, why would Khan need to invest $100 million?

I have to say I'm skeptical of the TV rumours. Both because historically TV deal rumours are bullshit 99% of the time, and also because if they were so close as they're letting on I have to believe they would have waited to make the announcement until it was locked down.

I’d say production costs for one? They’re gonna wanna look major league so that would be a huge chunk. 

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

They might be able to match WWE downsides but there is no way the merch and royalties would come close to WWE money in the early days.

Which circles back to what I was saying about PWT stores.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

You literally just said they had to be getting a huge TV deal to "offset the costs". Are production costs somehow not a part of "the costs"?

No need to be snide about it.

I meant the contract costs, production costs, and whatever other costs would come with this kind of operation.

And I don’t know what other return on investment they can possibly get other than a big TV deal. 

I'm very excited about AEW starting but investing $100 million+ into a wrestling promotion in 2019 is not something I would do.  Wrestling, as a whole, has no momentum but I do wonder if AEW can fill the national void that TNA left open from 10 years ago. 

Two things I hope they consider would be creating the World "On a Pole" Championship, and signing the real and true biggest free agent in the game, and that's Haku.  If they accomplish those two things, they have a fan for life in me.

• Like 1