DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

From all reports, if WOS isn't dead it will be very soon. Are Seadlinnnnnng contracts iron clad? Like if WWE came knocking for Nakajima, she wouldn't be able to go? I have a hard time believing that. Maybe less so Stardom, but it didn't sound like WWE had to wait it out for Io, in fact she had to wait for them to okay her neck IIRC. Sendai doesn't run a weekly schedule and often clusters their shows together for a month, meaning Meiko could certainly work for a company like AEW, at least doing some of their TVs.

I always do enjoy a condescending Eivion post tho. Much appreciated.

No idea about Seadlinnng. Stardom's are probably stronger than you think. Kairi seemingly did wait hers out (Stardom knew she was leaving 6 months in advance). Io might have as well. Meiko isn't leaving Sendai was more my point with her. Showing up in AEW is possible, just don't expect her to be a regular fixture for a year or two as you suggested.

Wasn't trying to be condescending, but to start randomly suggesting AEW raid joshi promotions is just a tad annoying as a fan of the scene and honestly a bit weird since Cody and co. seemingly have no real point of contact there.

If they want to build a quality women's division, that's where the gold is right now. There are some luchadoras like Zeuxis out there too that would be really good additions (was her MYC match as bad as Alvarez made out?), but the majority of the best women not signed to WWE right now are in Japan. Stardom's done a really remarkable job in surviving losing their two best wrestlers/biggest draws and they'd survive losing Mayu. What's more realistic though is something like @Brian Fowler suggested in swiping the connection ROH has with Stardom right now. 

Long term if you could eventually get the women from Impact, particularly Tessa, and add some international talent as well, you'd be in a really good spot to compete with WWE on that front and provide a good alternative on a big platform.

Edit: the real answer is Sexy Star obviously. What was I thinking?

3 hours ago, Thibs said:

If they’re really angling to steal that Tuesday night audience from Smackdown, I feel like it would make sense to debut on the same night that Smackdown does their last Tuesday show. You go head to head for one hour and go absolutely balls to the wall. You get Goldberg, you get Jericho, you showcase the young Indy talent, etc.

And from then on, you have that Tuesday timeslot to yourself, having exposed yourself to the WWE audience. 

Why would you want to run opposite Smackdown right now? Just seems like a bad idea.

Goldberg is in good shape for his age and all, but what would be the point of putting him on a roster for a new wrestling promotion? Dude gets injured just working 30 second squashes. 

Did anything of value really come out of his little comeback run in WWE? Other than a legends deal and a Hall of Fame induction. If anything, it set WWE back.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, Brandi was in the Cinderella Tournament.

But, to be clear, I'm not saying they should raid Stardom, just try to steal ROH's working relationship with them 

I wasn't referring to you. I know what you meant. I wouldn't hate them stealing the working relationship if it still even exists.

56 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

If they want to build a quality women's division, that's where the gold is right now. There are some luchadoras like Zeuxis out there too that would be really good additions (was her MYC match as bad as Alvarez made out?), but the majority of the best women not signed to WWE right now are in Japan. Stardom's done a really remarkable job in surviving losing their two best wrestlers/biggest draws and they'd survive losing Mayu. What's more realistic though is something like @Brian Fowler suggested in swiping the connection ROH has with Stardom right now. 

Long term if you could eventually get the women from Impact, particularly Tessa, and add some international talent as well, you'd be in a really good spot to compete with WWE on that front and provide a good alternative on a big platform.

The best women not signed to WWE are mainly in Japan, but most of them likely aren't interested in going full time anywhere outside of Japan unless its WWE. AEW is too new to jump on this early. Beyond that AEW is an American promotion. They should probably focus first on finding a good number of solid NA talent before trying to jump to Japan and EU talent. Seems like they really should be looking at the women working Shimmer, Shine, and RISE who haven't been signed anywhere yet.

Zeuxis's MYC run was more forgettable than anything bad.

Another thing worth keeping in mind: a lot of Stardom's roster is young. Like, 18 or younger. It would be one thing to bring an 18 year old worker over for a show or set of tapings or whatever. But a brand new company just building an infrastructure probably wouldn't be smart to hire a kid from a country halfway across the globe, who likely speaks little if any English, and just try to fit her in. WWE has the infrastructure to make that work. 

I mean, seriously, Momo posted pictures of herself bringing a title belt to school.

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Why would you want to run opposite Smackdown right now? Just seems like a bad idea.

It would be for 1 hour, on their last Tuesday show. And it wouldn’t be till October. 

One time thing to expose your product to the audience they’re looking to steal.

36 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I for one wish squash matches would come back.  

Not even the competitive squash matches on NXT. I want Lee Scott versus Sid Vicious squashes. What better way to get someone’s move set and finishers over?

How much to book Sid to go Lee Scott on the Young Bucks?

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

To use an Alvaresism, I'm sure Britt Baker is a really nice person but if they're paying her $100000 a year they're faaacked.

I wonder if all those grandiose salaries that people are talking about dependent on the level of friendship you have.  Like obviously you will pay Britt Baker and Brandi Rhodes a lot but a division is more than 2 people.  Let's say they bring in someone like Allie Kat or Faye Jackson to fill out the division.  They will probably get their usual rate which a smart promotion should.  

We can say that about the entire promotion actually.  This company can't survive for long time with just Nick and Matt's friends on the roster and hope all of the top WWE guys get released in a year.

This blurb from the observers post about Britt Baker doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence:

Meltzer is also reporting that Brandi Rhodes will be the key person when it comes to the women.

That doesn’t inspire me with a ton of confidence (she seems like a super nice person and I like them a lot, but c’mon). This is all speculation now, who knows. Hopefully on Tuesday we get some good concrete details on things. 

33 minutes ago, matt925 said:

This blurb from the observers post about Britt Baker doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence:

That doesn’t inspire me with a ton of confidence (she seems like a super nice person and I like them a lot, but c’mon). This is all speculation now, who knows. Hopefully on Tuesday we get some good concrete details on things. 

Well he could have just meant that she would be like a talent relations type, not creative. 

• Like 1

-- New "All Elite Wrestling" Poised to Change Wrestling Landscape --

JACKSONVILLE, FL, (January 3, 2019) – All Elite Wrestling, the new wrestling promotion headlined by members of The Elite, today announced plans for a special DOUBLE OR NOTHING event rally in Jacksonville, FL. The event, which is free and open to the public, will take place on Tuesday, Jan. 8, at 5pm ET outside TIAA Bank Field in Parking Lot J (near Gate 1, adjacent to the TV compound).

The rally is on the heels of the unveiling earlier this week of DOUBLE OR NOTHING, the inaugural event under the new All Elite Wrestling (AEW) banner. Keeping in true The Elite fashion, attendees can expect the unexpected as the rally will showcase the true spirit of wrestling entrepreneurialism and feature special guests, inside info and limited edition merchandise. Fans can also watch the event rally live on the "Being The Elite" YouTube channel, as well as @AEWrestling (Twitter), /TheYoungBucks (Facebook), @TheBrandiRhodes (Instagram), and can interact socially at #AEW.

"The Young Bucks, Matt and Nick Jackson, are right with me in committing to deliver on our promise to change the wrestling landscape in 2019, and the DOUBLE OR NOTHING event is just the start," said Cody Rhodes. "The time to change the world is now."

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

Well he could have just meant that she would be like a talent relations type, not creative. 

I think bigger issue is that all the friends and family members are getting spots in the company. I don't know, maybe they are all super talented people in multiple fields and this will work out great, or maybe this is a case of nepotism that will end up badly.

That’s definitely an issue I agree.

But that’s the wrestling business for you. You think Sonjay Dutt has any business being head of creative? He’s in that spot because he’s buddies with D’Amore. 

Jarrett brought in his buddies when he came back in 2017. 

Its an ugly detrimental side of the business that has always been there unfortunately.

At the same time, they’ve been killing it on the merchandise side and one of the Buck’s wives runs that operation. 

6 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think bigger issue is that all the friends and family members are getting spots in the company. I don't know, maybe they are all super talented people in multiple fields and this will work out great, or maybe this is a case of nepotism that will end up badly.

Wait, who outside of Brandi is getting a position they probably don't deserve? She seems pretty clever and she'll be working with Cody closely, so I don't think even that is a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't want them to change too much from the All In approach, so more of the same plz. I would hope they wouldn't bring in a bunch of writers or salty veterans. 

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Wait, who outside of Brandi is getting a position they probably don't deserve? She seems pretty clever and she'll be working with Cody closely, so I don't think even that is a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't want them to change too much from the All In approach, so more of the same plz. I would hope they wouldn't bring in a bunch of writers or salty veterans. 

I'm not sure who deserves what. I don't know much about their actual skills and as I said maybe they are good at multiple things and it will work out. Like, I'm not sure if Bucks should really be the bookers either. Its just when almost everyone from the gang is getting backstage roles then I get sceptical.

And its true that this is the nature of this business, but it doesn't mean that we should accept it.

I held off on posting and I'm glad I'm did.  There's a lot of valid points both positive and negative that hopefully are properly addressed.  But I can say that once the logistics are worked out I truly believe they'll have one helluva well-booked show.  It's true that BTE is only 15 minutes but there's some hardcore attention to detail and All In was proof that it worked rather well.  If they can stretch that to an hour show then I think they might have something special.

• Like 1