DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

vs CM Punk ideally.

Okay, I could dig that. Though I've always wanted to see Punk against Minoru Suzuki for rather obvious reasons.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Competitive matches against Marty Scurll. 

To quote Sheridan Whiteside in The Man Who Came to Dinner : "I may vomit!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Competitive matches against Marty Scurll. 

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

To quote Sheridan Whiteside in The Man Who Came to Dinner : "I may vomit!"

I feel the same. Marty is much better than that.

While I was buying Einsteiner and Danshoku Dino shirts, I said fuck it and picked up the varsity AEW hoodie from PWT. Now, if they had the denim and leather jackets, they really would've drained my bank account.

Unrelated, is the 90 minute TV show length the consensus ideal? Two hours would require a pretty deep roster to avoid the WWE thing where you give away all of the matches on TV over and over again. And I do hope they include a focus on squash matches with two or so feature matches.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Is it too late to make a WCW gimmick PPV reference suggestion?

Hog08.png

Pro Wrestling Tees could make a killing on AEW denim and leather.

They would appeal to that community AJ Styles isn't so fond of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Spending hours pouring through all the info and podcasts that have dropped this week, it does sound like tag team wrestling is going to be heavily featured, as the Bucks are in charge of the tag division specifically. I do think the Golden Lovers, if/when they get Ibushi to do at least some appearances, got modern NJPW as close as its gotten to heyday King's Road style classic tag matches featuring singles stars that progressed and wove different narratives together instead of just the standard fare NJPW lazy tags (that can still be quite good!). That's something I'd love AEW to continue if it really does pan out that Omega and eventually Ibushi join in some capacity, as it's my favourite pro wrestling. The drama of the tag team match with the dynamics you can play around with just give so many tools to brilliant wrestlers like those two that it for me surpasses all but the best of the best singles matches. Like, they have perhaps an even better incarnation of the Bucks/GL match in their pocket way down the line if they could tone down some of the histrionics and perform some of the moves a little crisper (as there was some very uncharacteristic awkwardness, some of which comes from that being one of the GL's first tag matches in years). You know The Revival are just counting down the days until they can sign with the Elite (I think Lanza is right that people are eventually going to just refer to it as The Elite because AEW is awkward to say) and have some unreal matches with The Bucks (FTR!) and hopefully the Golden Lovers. Gable has proven to be a magnificent tag talent and is another guy that people always bring up as an example of the type that would leave WWE for AEW.  I don't think it would be too hard to find a partner for him that would work. Jericho's been a lone wolf for a while now but I'd love for him to take on an understudy dickhead, perhaps MJEFF. I look forward to great tag team wrestling featuring a combination of traditional teams like Bucks and Revival but also combinations of singles wrestlers. I think that could be a significant way in which these guys could differentiate themselves from WWE.

• Like 5

I recall there was some debate about what Meltzer said about there being a wellness policy. He was just speculating and shooting from the hip when asked about the idea. It was basically like, "Most of those guys don't even drink. Why would they even need a wellness policy?" In other words, he doesn't know if they will actually have one or not and simply speculated as he does on most things. 

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I recall there was some debate about what Meltzer said about there being a wellness policy. He was just speculating and shooting from the hip when asked about the idea. It was basically like, "Most of those guys don't even drink. Why would they even need a wellness policy?" In other words, he doesn't know if they will actually have one or not and simply speculated as he does on most things. 

Except at no point did he ask why do they even need one.

Also, I already covered this. Good to see you not only do this in the MMA forum but over here as well. Consistency.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's mookie. Probably the preeminent chronicler of pro wrestling data.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/?m=0

That's his blog. So much to dig into there. He also ran the stats for all the 80 set polls among other things. He's welcome at any of our tables.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

mookie is good people

Co-sign all this.

He flat out said, "I don't expect a wellness policy." I didn't make that up. He also said, "I would say, probably not." He clearly has no idea if they will or not, but he's assuming they won't need one because most of the guys they signed don't even drink alcohol. 

That's speculating.

• Like 1