DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

50 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why would running WW3 have cost WCW a shitload of Ted's money? They didn't have two extra rings and 60 contracted wrestlers lying around?

A lot of them weren’t even contracted. Simply coming in for a one time deal to be on a PPV.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

While they're definitely competitors now I can't help but like this.  Imagine if it was Vince trying to talk to them and the shitfit he would throw on the call.  And unlike Vince he seems to still have a solid sense of humor about things like that skit.

If they get Aja Kong going against Britt (who they'll feature heavily I'm sure) then that will be worth every damn bit of money they ask me to pay to see it (assuming it's PPV and not TV)

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

A lot of them weren’t even contracted. Simply coming in for a one time deal to be on a PPV.

'Dancing' Dave Taylor's big break in the USA, that was. He didn't get the WCW contract until a few months after.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm stealing this from Reddit, who presumably stole this from Meltzer. Grain of salt blah blah since people in this thread talk about them having Meltzer in their pocket etc. But, hey, whatever. AJA KONG.

They do leak everything to Dave Meltzer

• Haha 1

Not sure if anyone posted this stuff but here’s some notes from AEW’s publicist in his latest newsletter.

They are negotiating with two major cable networks for a live weekly two-hour show

AEW opened picking up sizable talent and there are very serious negotiations with two major cable stations for a weekly two-hour live prime time television show

The Jacksonville show is expected to take place in July, and the third show is expected to take place in Chicago in September

The second AEW show will be during the summer in Jacksonville, with a large percentage of proceeds going to benefit victims of gun violence. There is still a lot to work out for the show, but it will most likely be in July or closely related to that.

The third show, as yet unannounced, is likely to be in Chicago, possibly back at the Sears Center, over Labor Day weekend with the idea of being the anniversary of the first All In, and would also be a PPV show. 

They are unlikely to land Mayu Iwatani, but are looking at other Japanese women including bringing in Aja Kong

Women wrestlers from Stardom and other promotions have been contacted. One of the key ones was Mayu Iwatani, who is unlikely to come. ROH, which also has an affiliation with Stardom, paid for Iwatani’s three-year U.S. visa so unless ROH and AWE make a deal, which will be difficult because they are competitors, Stardom feels it would be wrong to have her work against ROH, which also has booked Iwatani for its Madison Square Garden show.

Several Japanese women have been talked about for at least certain dates, including Hall of Famer Aja Kong, but that deal is not believed to be completed. But the Japanese women are being heavily scouted.

Tuesday Night Dynamite probably won't be a thing

While Tuesday Night Dynamite was trademarked and that obviously meant Tuesday was the plan at that time, it is up to the station they sign with and right now Tuesday looks highly unlikely, but two hours of live prime time is still the plan with either deal.

The Young Bucks turned down a very unique deal from WWE

Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he’d have been pushed as one of its top stars. The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I’ve never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren’t happy with their push.

Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn’t have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he’d likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.

Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn’t turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

The idea that they’re looking to go live every week is super exciting.

More:

Tony Khan, a lifelong pro wrestling fan and an Observer subscriber for about 22 years, who in the past has sent in live event reports and big show feedback, will be the President of the company. He will also be the head of creative, in the Vince McMahon role, with a team that would include several others working with him in that role.

Matt & Nick Massie (Young Bucks) and Cody Runnels will all be Executive Vice Presidents. While there will be basically crossovers in responsibility, Runnels’ focus will be singles wrestling and the Young Bucks focus will be tag team wrestling. Because The Bucks come in as two of the key stars of the promotion, there will be a much higher priority when it comes t tag team wrestling than in WWE. Brandi (Rhodes) Runnels will be both the Chief Brand Officer (the Stephanie McMahon role as a public face of the company–already marketed as Chief Brandi Officer) and also focus on the women’s talent. Dana Massie, the wife of Matt, often called Mrs. Matt in social media, who has been credited with building the Young Bucks merchandise brand, will be head of merchandise.

Ryan Barkan, who created and is the President of Pro Wrestling Tees, will also be part of the merchandise arm of the company. Chris Harrington, a stats whiz who has extensive knowledge of pro wrestling finances and business, has been hired as the head of business development. A number of other positions are in the process of being filled. There is expected to be at least one more Executive Vice President added to senior management.

I wonder if Jim Ross is the other EVP added.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...and Ric Flair takes the fall

Vintage Hogan WCW

Flair was WCW Champion at the time too with 7 other guys on his team and he took the fall not Tiny Lister or the Original Bane but Ric Fucking Flair. 

Also speaking Tag Teams? what Tag Teams are out there not signed to a contract? The Carnies i know are out there, Swoggle and PB Smooth team in AIW under the name Twins I sign them if I could not only cuz Hornswoggle has name value but because PB Smooth is 7 feet tall. As much as I love tag team wrestling I don't know who the big teams on the indies are, every team I know is signed to someone (WWE, ROH, New Japan, Evolve, Impact or MLW). One would assume with the Bucks in Executive VP roles that tag wrestling will be a focal point of the promotion and I'm just curious as to what tag teams are out there unsigned.

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Thibs has Casey on ignore. 

And Chester too since Chester already pointed out that the reddit post was lifted straight from the WON.

At least Thibs' post was someone almost posting the direct blurb out of the WON just with some paraphrasing here and there

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Chester too since Chester already pointed out that the reddit post was lifted straight from the WON.

At least Thibs' post was someone almost posting the direct blurb out of the WON just with some paraphrasing here and there

Figured it was okay since my two posts had some details that weren’t mentioned yet. My bad if it was an issue. 

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm extremely pro-World War III and no one will ever, ever change my mind

The first WW3 was worth it for the end of the Flair/Sting double cross angle, where Arn Anderson feuded with Flair for few months just so could turn on Sting again. I mean it was an almost standard Flair Vs Sting match, but this felt like the hottest they had in quite sometime. So you see them feeding off that crowd energy with their performance.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The first WW3 was worth it for the end of the Flair/Sting double cross angle, where Arn Anderson feuded with Flair for few months just so could turn on Sting again. I mean it was an almost standard Flair Vs Sting match, but this felt like the hottest they had in quite sometime. So you see them feeding off that crowd energy with their performance.

Yeah but you don't actually need the World War III gimmick for that. That could be any old PPV where someone betrays Sting.

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The first WW3 was worth for the end of the Flair/Sting double cross angle, where Arn Anderson feuded with Flair for few months just so could turn on Sting again.

That was all over by then. Arn vs Ric was Fall Brawl in September, the tag match turn was at  Halloween Havoc in October, WW3 was in November. The big closing angle was Hogan never being eliminated but Savage won. And the crowd refusing to back up Hogan when he was asking them to tell the referee, which was hilarious.

Edit: or do you mean the match they had after all that?