DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

Per the WOR show (OMG MELTZER~! THE DEVIL~!)

- Chris Jericho was negotiating with WWE and AEW (which he said already). He said Jericho's thoughts about the business changed when he worked for NJ the first time (the last year). Since he had gotten so used to WWE, he had forgotten how much he enjoyed doing other things. AEW will allow him to keep working with NJ

- In general - AEW is going to let guys work for other promotions (specifically mentioning New Japan). As long as you available for their (AEW) big shows they are fine with guys doing other things. (Which is of course easy to say now when you aren't running more than like 2 shows a year)

- Someone asked about the revenue split between wrestlers and promotion (wondering if it would be close to 50/50 like most sports leagues). Dave said that for the first couple of years it will be way past 50% for the wrestlers side. Its too easy to tell but since the Khans are "sports people", Dave figures it will end up settling around 50/50. It is all about driving revenue

- AEW will try to work with everyone (this was specifically in regards to being asked if they were partnering with Dragon Gate)

- Jim Ross - TBD. It's not a done deal but it wouldn't surprise Dave

- No one will be making what John Cena, Brock or Roman Reigns would be. However, Chris Jericho - who was one of the highest paid WWE guys - "just signed the best offer of his career". He also figured the salaries (AEW to WWE) are comparable because Hangman Page turned down WWE's offer (that is weird ass logic but this is Dave)

- Someone asked if ESPN would carry AEW. Dave says he hasn't heard anything about talks with them.

- Someone asked if ROH will get a better TV deal after the MSG show. (Using the assumption that someone saw WWE deals and that AEW's deal will be good). Dave said it would all up to Sinclair.

- AEW executives will have health care (Cody, Young Bucks, Daniels are the names Dave mentioned). Everyone else won't - at least not at the beginning. Dave thinks if the company starts making money, they will expand it to the other wrestlers

- There is nothing with Dustin Rhodes right now due to his WWE contract. After his contract runs out, Dave said it "sounds like a natural fit" (I see what you did there Dave)

- WWE is trying to lock up their Sky TV contract now so that Sky doesn't suddenly have options later this year as AEW starts

- Dave believes that ROH now regrets supporting ALL IN

- The Jacksonville show (the benefit show) is being looked at for June right now. Their third show would probably be in Sept. Clearly, that is all very tentative.

- The reason the AEW folks turned down the offer to buy IMPACT was because they wanted to start from scratch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Are we talking about AEW or the soon to be the fourth or fifth best football league on the planet?

Whether intentional or not, it is good timing to launch while Vince will be occupied at least partially with the XFL. Not because Hunter/Steph can’t handle things on their own(relatively), but because Vince is more likely to pay less attention to WWE, while still coming in and changing things when he does actually come around. (Hypothetical example: “You’re building Cesaro up for a title shot?!? He can’t talk, remember the whole ‘3 sides of the ring’ thing?!? Let’s give the shot to Cena!”)

9 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I am too but you have to figure the top of the NXT food chain is locked in for awhile and for the ones that want to go over you would think there is a chain of command already in place over there.  They would be better off plucking what they can from the withering vine of Impact

Not only are the NXT people presumably locked up, WWE isn’t going to grant anyone an early release right now. They’ve made Rey, Neville, and Bryan sit out their contracts when there was no real competition, they aren’t going to suddenly change now that AEW is starting up.

I expect to see WWE start to offer some people contract extensions now, before things get too up and running with AEW. That way, they either lock people up for a while, or they get an idea whether people are thinking about looking elsewhere when their contracts are up.  Since AEW’s first show isn’t for another four months, with another one a month or two later, I don’t think you’re going to see too many people looking to leave WWE yet.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

- In general - AEW is going to let guys work for other promotions (specifically mentioning New Japan). As long as you available for their (AEW) big shows they are fine with guys doing other things. (Which is of course easy to say now when you aren't running more than like 2 shows a year)

My reading of the situation was that AEW doesn't do anything till May and Jericho can easily make 1 or even 2 matches in NJPW till then. I'll be surprised if things won't change after they actually start doing shows.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per the WOR show

- Someone asked if ESPN would carry AEW. Dave says he hasn't heard anything about talks 

He basically said what I said here about it being a good fit in terms of having content for ESPN+. Based on the talent they have already, they would do better than some of these Top Rank shows and on par with some of the UFC content already scheduled. We're talking about Top Rank a company that I am sure is getting good money (Terence Crawford is getting $3m to $5m per fight and Vasyl Lomachenko is getting roughly $2m per fight) and UFC which is getting an insane amount of money. Plus, unlike with DAZN, they can do television content and bounce back and forth between platforms. 

10 hours ago, Archibald said:

I hope this meme of "wins and losses matter" will die at some point. I'm not aware of any big promotion where top guys don't win majority of their matches. And tracking wins and losses for midcarders and jobbers sounds like a bad idea that leads nowhere.

It gives you something to put on the back of wrestling cards. ?

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Guy is a hyuuuuge wrestling nerd. Bigger than I even thought. Talks about tape trading and doing HTML work for John McAdam when he was a kid. 

What more could you ask for in a guy in his Position, Dixie Carter didnt know the business like she needed too and he isnt just a money mark and he's young. He knows what he want for him company and that's more you can say for most startups  in wrestling 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What more could you ask for in a guy in his Position, Dixie Carter didnt know the business like she needed too and he isnt just a money mark and he's young. He knows what he want for him company and that's more you can say for most startups  in wrestling 

It's like having one of us in the position, though as far as I know, none of us has a $100 million to throw around. 

I truly hope the whole emphasis on wins/losses is not necessarily a formal point system, but more of just the announcers putting the wins over, saying things like "(Midcarder) has won his last three bouts, and surely looks to be in line for a (IC/US/TV) title shot if he can make it past (Upper Midcarder) here tonight" or "(New Main Eventer) is looking to challenge for the World title, but first he'll have to go toe to toe with (Established Main Eventer) to earn that shot"

I agree with everyone here who pointed out all the drawbacks to it and Evolve dropping it etc.

• Like 2

Billy-Corgan-Resistance-Pro-608x405.jpgAnother thing, very small to some, but I really hope all the actual physical titles look great. If it were me, I'd call Midwest belts and commission new versions of the winged eagle, IC, and tag with our logo on it smack dab in the middle. They're Reggie Parks' designs, not WWE's. Every promotion has to prey on nostalgia a little bit, right? I think it would a cool way for a promotion with absolutely zero history behind it to accomplish that. WWE fans have been clamoring for their returns for years, this is a tangible way to say "We listen to you, and we hear you" to the old school fan who is maybe a little skeptical of this upstart no one ever heard of. Plus it's a hell of a lot less sad and a shit ton smarter than trotting out old timers looking for a last pay day.

Could it be looked at as a little bush league? Sure, I'd def entertain that argument. But I don't remember anyone saying anything about ECW when they did it with their tags and TV title in the 90s (though the designs were used I believe without permission and made by a different guy, I think named Mike Vartanian(sp?) I also really liked it when Billy Corgan had that promotion out of Chicago and they used an updated big gold belt.

Edit: found a photo

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Once this ball starts rolling how many shows do you think they go for it a year.  Do Friday, Saturday, Sunday with a TV taping in there somewhere?  Or just 4 shows a month or so and rotate them in key markets

Thats a tricky one. Firday Saturday and Sunday wouldnt be a bad touring strategy starting out. The question becomes IF they do go live every Tuesday what do you do with Monday? DO you run a show or do you give the guys and gals a day of travel? having a day off to get to TV after 3 shows in 3 different towns in 3 different days might help combat fatigue and injury. But the counter argument would be thats only 2 days home a week Wednesday and Thursday but I guess thats the life.

12 hours ago, Archibald said:

I hope this meme of "wins and losses matter" will die at some point. I'm not aware of any big promotion where top guys don't win majority of their matches. And tracking wins and losses for midcarders and jobbers sounds like a bad idea that leads nowhere.

To me, the whole "wins and losses matter" thing shouldn't mean that you're meticulously tracking wins and losses for everyone, it's that the result of a match has significance beyond nebulous terms like "building momentum". For instance, if a low card guy beats a guy higher up on the card, you treat it like a big deal instead of having the higher up guy immediately beat the other guy into a tub of goo to get his heat back. Or a low card guy gets on a roll and wins a few matches in a row to get a title shot instead of losing a billion matches in a row and then somehow being thrust into the title mix (ala Jinder Mahal).

• Like 2

The potential scoop here is a slip. When Jericho is talking about his presence validating the seriousness of this whole enterprise, he mentions that a lot of mainstream fans "don't know Kenny, don't know the Bucks..." There's no "if we get him" caveat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

The potential scoop here is a slip. When Jericho is talking about his presence validating the seriousness of this whole enterprise, he mentions that a lot of mainstream fans "don't know Kenny, don't know the Bucks..." There's no "if we get him" caveat.

Like anyone with half a brain seriously thought for a second that he would skip a chance to be in on the ground floor of a company with his best buddies in order to go to McMahonland where he'd wind up mopping the ring before matches because he's "the cleaner" and trading wins with Dolph Ziggler. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

I now desperately want an Omega/Duke the Dumpster Droese tag team in WWE. "You mop em up, and I'll take out the trash"

ban plz. ?

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

We live in a world where a not-insignificant number of people think that "on background" means "fake news." I wouldn't waste my energy explaining journalism practices to anyone these days. 

You're right - I'm a professional journalist, and the real world is laughably different from what they teach you in J-school. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Really glad that Jericho is involved with this. He gets it and I think he can bridge the gap between appealing to their core fanbase and growing the audience outside of it.

I agree , I  don't see how people compare him to Brock or even Taker, He can still go at a good level and he wants to add to whatever he's involved in and too who even he works with. Unless you just personally never been a fan I dont get how you think he's just taking a payday.

29 minutes ago, Gorman said:

You're right - I'm a professional journalist, and the real world is laughably different from what they teach you in J-school. 

"Those who taught, taught what they were taught, and not what they had learned"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

It's obvious to pretty much everybody that Kenny is signing with AEW.  It's just that they can't legally say it yet.  And BTE is their way of unofficially saying they got him with that cell phone bit at the end.  Maybe Jericho shouldn't have let that slip but it's not like he announced somebody like Tanahashi signing.

• Like 1