DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know Vince won’t acknowledge AEW at the start, but if AEW uses pyro in the beginning, I have this funny feeling Vince will bring it back.

I actually don't miss pyro that much and would only want it for big shows.

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

Isn't TJP a DDT side company?

It is.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It is interesting if WWE is blocking AEW merch, after they've ignored the sea of Bullet Club merchandise filling their stands for years.

Bullet Club was a stable and Japan based/focused. AEW is direct competition no matter how they try to spin. No reason to let people advertisement AEW to their fanbase.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

More from that radio show - AEW apparently approached Mayu Iwatani as recently as a week ago.

She supposedly is doing stuff for ROH

Dave thinks it is liking AEW and Stardom ended up doing some sort of deal

So here is the thing, Stardom won't even bother to partner with promotions who don't provide visas for their workers. ROH are the ones who provided visas for Stardom talent, and they last for years. Nothing is happening between Stardom & AEW.

Okay, so... where are they going to get talent? Jericho is good for them... but most people wouldn't be able to pick the Bucks and Omega out of a police line up. So Joey Janela and Joey Ryan? I'm honestly confused because the WWE has a huge amount of talent under wraps and every one else has signed a multi-year deal some where else. Where are the horses coming from?

3 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Okay, so... where are they going to get talent? Jericho is good for them... but most people wouldn't be able to pick the Bucks and Omega out of a police line up. So Joey Janela and Joey Ryan? I'm honestly confused because the WWE has a huge amount of talent under wraps and every one else has signed a multi-year deal some where else. Where are the horses coming from?

Something tells me if you're strictly in this for WWE talent or former WWE talent, you would probably be watching WWE. I don't think that's the audience they're making a bid for out of the gate.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Are they mainstream names? No. 

But they are very popular amongst the audience this needs first. It's not going to build a mainstream audience without first having the hardcore wrestling crowd behind it. Until people like, well, us, start gushing about the show to their more casual WWE only fan friends, they won't have viewers.

The Bucks have enough fans that they move a shockingly high amount of merchandise. Kenny and Cody are the two top non-WWE draws in the US. Jericho has two decades of name recognition. It's a good start. There's talent out there, plus, these guys have managed to get Adam Page, Marty Scrull and Flip Gordon over with a YouTube show. They hopefully will be able to develop a few stars.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Are they mainstream names? No. 

Shit, WWE has Ronda Rousey and still doing all time lows a good number of weeks. Maybe if they sign Rock, Cena, and Vince McMahon, they would capture that pivotal mainstream audience.

• Like 3

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Where does WWE get talent? Not like they haven't picked up dudes from indies and/or Japan and made them into stars. 

Lets get the biggest stars in Lucha Libre and do jackshit with them too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

A podcaster from China:

I can't say all this is inaccurate but I can say for certain at least half of it is so I'm skeptical of the other half.

Lucha Bros are tied up in a contract issue & right now appear to be being used as bargaining chips. Will see how it plays out but entirely possible even *if* they were on AEW's radar & wanted to be involved it won't be possible in 2019. Which is fine. The last thing you wanna do is sign everyone available at once. They're gonna need a rotating cast of fresh faces & surprises if this thing gets off to a hot start.

My opinion is they need to be careful with possibly bringing in WWE guys who have deals that run up or ex-WWE guys that are already out there. You don't want to come off like TNA did every time when they'd rush to bring in the first ex-WWE guy available & immediatly position him at the top of their roster which just tells fans we're the minor league if this D level WWE guy can instantly be our top star. A team like the Revival would be an exception with the built-in feud & they haven't really suffered through years of being buried but the last thing a new "cool" group needs when it comes to attracting a casual fanbase is to be using (insert your favorite wrestler who is just too darn good to be working Main Event weekly) as their new star.

Also you gotta remember a lot of these WWE guys who bitch about their position have had plenty of chances to leave & never do so. Yes, now it's different with a real player out there but I'm always skeptical. Especaily be careful with the WWE lifers who have known nothing outside that system for all their lives. Like the Bulgarian dude for example. He's never going anywhere. He wouldn't last a day outside WWE on his own without being told where to go, what to do, what to say. He's not the only one but he's the best example of someone people have the wrong impression of because he does funny videos. The smarter WWE guys will use AEW to leverage better financial deals to stay where they always intended on staying, but even so... WWE spends years instilling a certain mentality in these guys where a "Wrestlemania moment" or something even dumber like being a given a title as fans chant "you deserve it" is better than actual money.

And, look, there are wrestlers all over this country. A lot of them are pretty good.

The only guy who I think could've been a serious game changer immediately that recently signed elsewhere is Riddle. If WWE doesn't make him a huge star..  Well, they'd be WWE.

3 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I find it fascinating that they are going for "sports-like presentation". Looking at the announced names you'd think that it would be complete opposite of that.

I'm guessing/hoping that it'll be a lot of variety in the midcard, including comedy, but treating titles and main events seriously.

51 minutes ago, Robert said:

I can't say all this is inaccurate but I can say for certain at least half of it is so I'm skeptical of the other half.

Lucha Bros are tied up in a contract issue & right now appear to be being used as bargaining chips. Will see how it plays out but entirely possible even *if* they were on AEW's radar & wanted to be involved it won't be possible in 2019. Which is fine. The last thing you wanna do is sign everyone available at once. They're gonna need a rotating cast of fresh faces & surprises if this thing gets off to a hot start.

My opinion is they need to be careful with possibly bringing in WWE guys who have deals that run up or ex-WWE guys that are already out there. You don't want to come off like TNA did every time when they'd rush to bring in the first ex-WWE guy available & immediatly position him at the top of their roster which just tells fans we're the minor league if this D level WWE guy can instantly be our top star. A team like the Revival would be an exception with the built-in feud & they haven't really suffered through years of being buried but the last thing a new "cool" group needs when it comes to attracting a casual fanbase is to be using (insert your favorite wrestler who is just too darn good to be working Main Event weekly) as their new star.

Also you gotta remember a lot of these WWE guys who bitch about their position have had plenty of chances to leave & never do so. Yes, now it's different with a real player out there but I'm always skeptical. Especaily be careful with the WWE lifers who have known nothing outside that system for all their lives. Like the Bulgarian dude for example. He's never going anywhere. He wouldn't last a day outside WWE on his own without being told where to go, what to do, what to say. He's not the only one but he's the best example of someone people have the wrong impression of because he does funny videos. The smarter WWE guys will use AEW to leverage better financial deals to stay where they always intended on staying, but even so... WWE spends years instilling a certain mentality in these guys where a "Wrestlemania moment" or something even dumber like being a given a title as fans chant "you deserve it" is better than actual money.

I get what you’re saying but I don’t think they’re going to attract mainstream fans with Neville and Kenny Omega.

I think they need a mix of the names (Former WWE guys, legends, etc) to get mainstream attention and then use that attention to roll out the Indy guys in a way that hopefully hooks people. 

And really, it won’t matter who they bring in unless they have creative people who produce a must see show every week. 

There's nobody they can sign from WWE who is going to move a needle at all. TNA signed everyone and didn't change their ratings at all.

WCW only really moved the needle when they signed Hulk Hogan. The 2019 equivalent of 1994 Hogan would be Cena, basically. John Cena ain't available. I love AJ Styles, but he's not going to suddenly gain them a fleet of new viewers. And he's the most likely big name out there they could get.

They are going to have what ever audience Jericho, Cody, the Bucks and likely Kenny brings them. They need to make the show good enough that those people keep watching and tell their friends to watch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

How has healthcare happened? They've already backed down on those claims

https://411mania.com/wrestling/cody-and-young-bucks-say-never-say-never-to-aew-providing-benefits-to-talent/

One thing I've always wondered- why can't wrestlers just use the ACA?  Most aren't super old so it should be reasonably affordable insurance for the amount they spend on healthcare.

If you were AEW, I'd just say, ok we'll just give you $500/mo for premiums.

I'm hoping sports-like presentation means they keep some of the structure of New Japan in AEW in terms of how they book, but with their own twist (which I think will be videogame wrestling style- lot more emphasis on athleticism since that is what Omega/Bucks are best at)