DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

Damn, WWE signed Giancarlo Dittamo, the guy who did all of the Janela hype videos, back in November. Would've done wonders in helping AEW seem different and EDGIER than WWE's clean presentation.

So this guy in Reddit, who’s been spot about some of the stuff that has happened so far, posted this a few hours before the rally—

(and I’m only posting this because he was right about several things that have happened so far. I get that it sounds pretty out there)—

So previously I put this out a month prior to AEW. I've got a few legit sources. As before, believe what you want, I'm not out to work anyone, just pass on some extra details that have come my way. I'll be as clear as I can without getting people in trouble. And before you ask, I'm tier zero or shit-tier, and no I'm not going to name sources.

• Kenny is going to AEW, as will Scurll when his contract is up.

• Tonight's announcement will not announce the TV deal, which will be saved for Double or Nothing. Tonight will announce some of the card for Double or Nothing and some signings. They may mention further live shows as there are bookings in place for may-september currently.

• Contrary to Meltzer's reports, TV has been locked in for a while. Turner attempted to lowball them, and wanted part ownership. Then the hype train got rolling, and the team started to talk to other networks, including some really out-there ones that don't sound like a good fit, but still had national distribution and were interested. Also an ex Raw network. Anyway, Turner caved and here we are. Contracts are being finalized. 

(Edit for clarity - TV contracts take a long time to finalize, but a deal can be in place pending completion for some time. There is a checking period where all promises are checked by either side and the only way the deal breaks is if one cannot fulfill it's promises. That's the period we're in now. The deal itself has been around a while.)

• Shows will be Tuesdays, live, and either an hour or 90 minutes - that bit is currently being thrashed out. It will air on TNT, hence the name. 

• The TV deal is for 3 years, and worth high 8 figures. This doesn't include Turner covering all TV production costs. This means AEW can spend serious money on a roster, which was always a key point when going into this. All contract offers are currently for 3 years, with escalating dates as the intention is to build in live touring in years 2 & 3. 

• A "decent number" of WWE talent have reached out to AEW to express how unhappy they are with their current deals and to see what's out there. This includes some current big deal NXT names and at least one main roster main eventer. The NXT guys are people who see their future in the midcard or on a lesser brand, and think there's better money and higher profile opportunities elsewhere. This is on top of the obvious names in the midcard who feel they could be bigger names elsewhere (Anderson & Gallows, Gable, etc)

• A lot of the obvious public tweeting are guys who dislike how they are handled and have pretty much decided to leave when their contract is done. It's interesting in that light to look at how The Revival is being currently treated - WWE is very afraid of losing some key talent because they know this promotion has decent money to spend, so (it seems - this is my conjecture here) that rather than burying the complainers, they seem to be trying to keep them happy. 

• WWE has been aware of the promotion since they started network talks. The shows will begin the same time their shows reboot under new contracts, and it's fair to guess that given the expectations from Fox, coupled with the heat from a promotion with serious money and a national TV deal, WWE is concerned they won't be able to hit targets.

• AEW will be the first promotion to offer health insurance to its performers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

If the above is true, it could be TBS. There's no way AEW is going to be on TNT on Tuesdays because of their NBA deal.

I need to see Chuck and Shack doing promotional stuff for AEW. Don't take this away from me.

• Like 7

If the Turner talks are true, the ratings bar to set is a bit lower on TBS also than it would be on TNT. And as their alliance with Conan O'Brien has shown, they are also supportive of show partners that are also active with online video. 

And agreed, if they start out only doing an hour per week, the roster they have now with even just 3 or 4 more men and maybe 5 more women for that side, they will have enough to launch and cycle programs for a little while at least. 

I dont think this is going to change wrestling forever yet, but I am cautiously optimistic for it at least being relevant once launched, at least to the highest levels TNA got to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

I think he realized A) there’s a lot more money outside WWE than he thought, and B) Vince has forgiven far worse and his spot will be there when this money dries up.

Supposedly, Jericho was very pissed that WWE didn't want to be involved with his cruise.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing the other day, a TNT deal would mean that Shaq and Chuck would be most likely be involved in some capacity in a promotional front.

If the Reddit is true 90 minutes live every Tuesday on a TBS wouldn't be a bad option if given the choice. Everyone oine the inside says 90 minutes is the perfect time for a wrestling program, let's put the theory into practice.  I'd go head to head with Smackdown and air 8-9:30, Smackdown is leaving USA and Tuesdays in October establish a base on Tuesdays see what portion of their audience you pull and see what portion stays once Smackdown moves to Fox. 9-10:30 would probably be a better fit, SmackDown is in hour in at that time those who are bored by SMackdown can jump over. There would also be a half hour left once Smackdown is over and we have a half hour unopposed to run your big angle with the audience hypothetically switching over from Smackdown

1 minute ago, clintthecrippler said:

If the Turner talks are true, the ratings bar to set is a bit lower on TBS also than it would be on TNT. And as their alliance with Conan O'Brien has shown, they are also supportive of show partners that are also active with online video. 

And agreed, if they start out only doing an hour per week, the roster they have now with even just 3 or 4 more men and maybe 5 more women for that side, they will have enough to launch and cycle programs for a little while at least. 

I dont think this is going to change wrestling forever yet, but I am cautiously optimistic for it at least being relevant once launched, at least to the highest levels TNA got to.

You know what would be great if AEW ends up on TBS, a block comprised of AEW and Seinfeld.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You know what would be great if AEW ends up on TBS, a block comprised of AEW and Seinfeld.

That would break this board. "Levels Jerry! Levels!

Going off with what Clint said a couple posts up, not trying to get too hypothetical but if we start seeing Cody and The Bucks show up on Conan to promote All or Nothing I think that would be a good indication they are going to a Turner Station.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

That would break this board. "Levels Jerry! Levels!

Going off with what Clint said a couple posts up, not trying to get too hypothetical but if we start seeing Cody and The Bucks show up on Conan to promote All or Nothing I think that would be a good indication they are going to a Turner Station.

The MLB season will be underway. TBS should definitely promote AEW during their MLB broadcasts. Imagine having an AEW billboard on the rotating board behind home plate.

I know nothing has been announced but what a difference the whole perception of pro wrestler in the mainstream has changed from 18 years ago. We are discussing a promotion get a TV deal with Turner and it sounds like Turner would be supportive and behind the show which was not the case when WCW was around. Also kind of sad that wrestling could quite possible come back to TBS or TNT and Ted Turners mind is going. 

If the show is on TBS the first Atlanta Show, Meltzer should present Ted with a Wrestler Observer Lifetime Achievement Award or something.

11 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Some of the things he said though did happen. Like the healthcare thing. 

Multiple people had already speculated about the same thing. It's not like it was a terribly well kept secret.

17 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

CW would be cool. 

Ted Turner should get some kind of an award from the wrestling world. He changed the game just as much as Vince did, he just did it differently

He has lewy body dementia doesn't he?