DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

May 25th MGM Grand Las Vegas

Dammit I'm going to Washington for the Rolling Stones concert on May 23rd, don't know if i'll be back in Vegas in time for the show.

HA. Assuming I go to Vegas for our convention, I'd be missing it by a week. Still, LVFS would have to have some cool merch for it...

Just now, Thibs said:

Bad move to not mic the crowd. You can tell they’re louder than it seems. 

It'll probably blow out the 20 year old mixer they seem to be using for the audio on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I wonder if and when they announce a TV deal will it be an expensive time purchase like PBC boxing did

$100 million is only a fraction of the money Al Haymon had to play with. Haymon had AT LEAST $585 million. Hell, he was planning to buy Golden Boy for $100 million. Out of all those networks, especially based on the boxing programming we had once they cut back to Showtime and Fox, I think only 3 or 4 actually wanted high level boxing. CBS Sports Network does stuff with like Roy Jones' promotion, Holyfield's promotion, and the lesser known, small time regional promoters but CBS wasn't trying to do big fights. Paramount Network (then Spike) wasn't really fond of boxing either when they already had Bellator on Friday nights. NBC was done with boxing the minute Kovalev went to HBO when they (NBC) had that deal with Main Events and the whole Prichard Colon thing happened on a PBC on NBC card in the middle of the afternoon. Kathy Duva tried to haul ass back to NBC recently with HBO boxing being canceled but it fell apart quickly. I'm safely assuming that's because Main Events does not have anyone really on roster of note except Kovalev and Sullivan Barrera. Barrera-Monaghan this past November happened on a Golden Boy Facebook stream and this upcoming Eleider Alvarez vs. Kovalev rematch is on a Top Rank promoted show. Basically, Main Events don't even have the infrastructure to do the same caliber cards they did on NBC Sports Network prior to PBC taking over that spot. So that's another player not really interested.

Therefore, Haymon doing the time buys was necessary based on that original vision of having boxing everywhere even when these people didn't want boxing outside providing filler content on these niche sports channels. AEW is in a different position because they only need interest from one party, and they clearly have one suitor. Now to what extent is a different story.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hell, didn't UFC originally buy their Spike TV slot?

....I don't think so. I think they (Zuffa) put money into TUF, TUF got picked up, became a hit and the finale did good numbers, and then they started doing the Fight Night events in August 2005. However, I'm sure if they did get any money it wasn't anywhere close to what Fox offered them in 2011.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pac just showed up!!!!!! Think him and Page are gonna wrestle at AEW for the inaugural Championship. Just seems like what they are setting up. Or for the DragonGate Championship, I wouldn't mind Page in DragonGate