DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Screw that, Nick. There's never been a better time to blindly jump into the abyss.

Why would I want to jump into a guy with missing teeth and a bat with nails?  :)

I will say that even though the announcement was not surprising seeing it play out in BTE gave me massive chills.  I'm extremely optimistic about everything but am curious to see what else they say next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I do have a concern that if they land on a big channel that they’re going to have to deviate slightly from what their hardcore fanbase likes. And the minute that happens, the twitter complaints are gonna start.

Goldberg for example. I can see  a large part of that fanbase totally shitting on him. 

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

If the TBS talks are true, it'd almost assuredly be for the Bleacher Report streaming service with maybe specials being broadcasted on TV. 

The report makes it clear that its for TNT/TBS.

We’ll see how true the report is 

The reports for One Championship said the same initially. Who's reporting the TBS stuff? Between that, the $100k baseline pay, and the $100 million investment from Shahid, there's almost as much baseless speculation on newz sites than we've been doing in here just for fun. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The reports for One Championship said the same initially. Who's reporting the TBS stuff? Between that, the $100k baseline pay, and the $100 million investment from Shahid, there's almost as much baseless speculation on newz sites than we've been doing in here just for fun. 

All the things you mentioned minus the salaries were in that Rajah report. 

If there's one thing I learned from keeping a close eye on Impact ratings at one point in time..  it's that these big star signings,  many of them did not payoff.  Impact's ratings were basically the same whether it was Jeff Hardy and Sting running around or whether they were building around Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.  

I'm not against the idea of AEW signing some former WWE talent but to me a guy like Goldberg wouldn't do much for ratings or interest and he would cost more than these younger guys they can build around.  

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If there's one thing I learned from keeping a close eye on Impact ratings at one point in time..  it's that these big star signings,  many of them did not payoff.  Impact's ratings were basically the same whether it was Jeff Hardy and Sting running around or whether they were building around Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.  

I'm not against the idea of AEW signing some former WWE talent but to me a guy like Goldberg wouldn't do much for ratings or interest and he would cost more than these younger guys they can build around.  

That could potentially be true. What could also be true is that Impact’s combination of bad booking + lack of money/promotion behind it rendered the names ineffective. 

All I know is a bunch of my friends got back into wrestling to see Goldberg and didn't stick around once he was done. He may not be a long term solution or a star to build around, but he'll get eyes on the product in a hurry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thibs said:

That could potentially be true. What could also be true is that Impact’s combination of bad booking + lack of money/promotion behind it rendered the names ineffective. 

I don't believe so.. there was a time where the consensus was TNA was well booked. This was probably ten years ago but even so.  The biggest thing TNA had going for them was being on Spike TV.  

The channel/platform AEW has will be a lot more important than who is on the roster. 

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've been watching 1998 WCW lately, and Bill Goldberg is the best squash match worker ever.

Just have him murk a fool every week. RATINGZ!

Not when 1993 Yokozuna once existed.

But since Yoko has passed...yeah, Goldberg killing jobbers is the second best thing there is*.

*At least when it comes to singles wrestlers, as we all know that the Steiner Brothers are the greatest squash match workers overall. 

• Like 1

Golberg would be a perfect guy if they ran this somewhat like All in, where you have big shows anchored by your main guy and guest stars to draw people in. Even better if you have the TV to build an angle. 

The dumb thing would be to have a guy like that come in, win the title and then never appear on TV for months at a time. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

I do have a concern that if they land on a big channel that they’re going to have to deviate slightly from what their hardcore fanbase likes. And the minute that happens, the twitter complaints are gonna start.

Goldberg for example. I can see  a large part of that fanbase totally shitting on him. 

This may be true to an extent, but I just think of ecw where every hardcore fan hated wwf and wcw and then someone like Sid would show up and the building would explode. People may complain on the internet but if it puts asses in seats...

These are smart guys, I’m sure they’re thinking about all this stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Not when 1993 Yokozuna once existed.

But since Yoko has passed...yeah, Goldberg killing jobbers is the second best thing there is*.

*At least when it comes to singles wrestlers, as we all know that the Steiner Brothers are the greatest squash match workers overall. 

The Undertaker bodybagging jobbers will always be tops for me.

• Like 3

I think Kenny vs Goldberg has mainstream appeal. I do have concerns over if Goldberg would do the j-o-b or not. Goldberg shouldn’t be full time part time he should be whatever type of authority figure they want to do. 

If he’s face whatever you want your major heel to be run him gouging Goldberg into a match at Double or Nothing.

If they do end up signing Nakamura then absolutely run Goldberg vs Nak at DON. Nak can even lose cuz they can build Nak vs Kenny as Kenny dodging Nak after Nak lost to a 52 year old part timer. Nak goes in a road of redemption and there’s the big match for 2nd marquee show.

50 minutes ago, matt925 said:

This may be true to an extent, but I just think of ecw where every hardcore fan hated wwf and wcw and then someone like Sid would show up and the building would explode. People may complain on the internet but if it puts asses in seats...

These are smart guys, I’m sure they’re thinking about all this stuff. 

Thoughts on signing RVD? At least for the startup. He’s a name, he can still go in the ring, and mainstream fans know who he is. 

Plus it would be fun to see him go with guys like the Bucks. 

• Like 2