DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

I read somewhere that they will be bringing in CM Punk and Cornette to do a shoot fight to the death. That's called knowing what your audience wants. Yes, Cornette is my age and a fat tub of goo, on the other hand he has actually won a couple of fights which is more than can be said of Punk. Edge: Cornette.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just read that they might be talking to Turner/TNT/TBS for a TV deal. 

*Squeeeeeeeeeel*

wcw-nitro-fist-pump-guy.gif?w=650

They needs fans like that guy in the green shirt fist pumping for a big boot.

Credit: Rajah.com

According to a well placed source, Tony Khan is fronting $100 million for the launch of AEW.

Jim Ross, who has repeatedly denied involvement with AEW, will be heavily involved - both on commentary and in a backstage capacity. Ross is likely not commenting on this situation because technically he is still under contract to WWE for a few more months. JR and WWE will not be renewing their contract so you can expect that once he is officially out, his involvement will be publicized.

Sports agent Barry Bloom, who already represents many prolific talent in the industry, is involved from a recruitment perspective. According to our source, AEW will "go hard" at WWE for stars whose deals will be expiring and they will be "mixing in legends" as well. One name that has been brought up is Goldberg, who I believe is already a client of Bloom's. Chris Jericho - who has also been rumored to be connected to this new promotion - is going to be involved "in depth" as well, as per our source. There are other WWE employees/contractors (note, this does not necessarily mean wrestlers) who AEW is going to pursue aggressively when they are legally able to.

It was previously rumored that AEW was working on a national TV deal. As per our sources, Khan is indeed using his connections to work on a prospective TV deal and one of the networks that they are negotiating with is Time Warner to have AEW air on TNT/TBS.

While Cody and the Young Bucks have been announced as EVPs of All Elite Wrestling, we were told that they will focus mainly on wrestling and not necessarily in the creative aspect of the promotion.

If any of this is true...

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's a shame that their fanbase is about as far from that as possible then?

I don’t know, that All In crowd in Chicago was pretty good for a smark crowd.

They need to go after the college football fans like WCW used to if they want those same fans though.

• Like 1

Someone should keep an archive of all of the obvious b.s. the sheets are reporting. 

Remember two weeks ago when Meltzer reported that the Elite turned down deals with WWE that would pay each of them seven-figures annually? Now it makes sense why they would do that. Even though other existing feds can't even get on basic cable, Khan is negotiating with networks that have shown no interest in wrestling in almost two decades based on signing five wrestlers and a big bank account?

Yeah, the 6-figure contracts thing is the thing that reeks the most. I mean, maybe principle players would be getting paid that much, but in no way is that going to be a floor for contracts. Even Eric Bischoff would laugh his ass off at how dumb that would be.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's the thing with bringing in someone like Goldberg. He already instantly overshadowed the entire 2016-7 WWE roster.

That's what should have happened with him the first time around, but they had to stick him in a wig and feud him with Christian and others because according to Bruce Prichard, they had to do their own spin on him and what WCW did with him didn't work because if it did then WCW would still be around.

And people wonder why the booking is so continuously shitty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's what should have happened with him the first time around, but they had to stick him in a wig and feud him with Christian and others because according to Bruce Prichard, they had to do their own spin on him and what WCW did with him didn't work because if it did then WCW would still be around.

And people wonder why the booking is so continuously shitty.

Did he really say that? Good thing I stopped listening to wrestler/performer podcasts before he started. 

In reality WCW failed because they didn’t switch formats, and put all their eggs in the Goldberg basket.

• Like 1

I would suspect that they are going to have an issue filling out the card.  With WWE having 3.5 rosters worth of talent, ROH signing guys to exclusive deals and TNA doing whatever it is they do now, how many guys are left?  Then you have the issue of not running your matches into the ground when you have to be an episodic program which has been a mammoth problem even with WWE having all the guys on the planet signed.  

Just now, Goodear said:

I would suspect that they are going to have an issue filling out the card.  With WWE having 3.5 rosters worth of talent, ROH signing guys to exclusive deals and TNA doing whatever it is they do now, how many guys are left?  Then you have the issue of not running your matches into the ground when you have to be an episodic program which has been a mammoth problem even with WWE having all the guys on the planet signed.  

Just from the process of elimination, I vaguely worry about CMLL losing some guys I like but it's not like CMLL is doing anything with any of them. It's more the guys who come in freelance that have given the place a bit of a shot in the arm like Penta or Fenix.

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did he really say that? Good thing I stopped listening to wrestler/performer podcasts before he started. 

What Prichard said is just the variation of what has frequently been reported and that if Vince McMahon didn't come up with the idea, he thought it was shit

It is why Vince always resisted doing Wargames until HHH finally convinced him

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are Penta and Fenix free agents?  I thought I saw something about Penta signing with MLW but I've read way too much speculation around the webs so maybe not. 

Maybe it was Rush who signed with MLW.  

Rush is who signed with MLW

Penta and Fenix both have Lucha Underground contracts so see earlier in this thread about how they will be a bit before they can sign elsewhere

• Like 1