DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

33 minutes ago, D.Z said:

The khan's have lots of money. They could sign top WWE people eventually.

Exactly. If AEW can stick it out for a full year and prove they're a viable promotion, then expect a ton of jumps from WWE.

• Like 3

Hopefully they understand this is a business, and luck out on all their risks.

Some predictions:

CEO (the fighting game tournament) becomes one of their big annual events

They struggle to build stars outside of the Elite.

If a relationship with NJPW happens, Kanemitsu heads there on excursion.

If AEW wants to work with New Japan—as we’re told they do—then Kenny’s not just the biggest, but most interesting chip. Sign him, and New Japan is probably unhappy—but they’d be more likely to allow talent to work with them, if he’s among the talent. At the very least I could see Kenny insisting on freedom to work his friends’ shows even if he does re-sign. I’m also really curious, should New Japan turn them down—and I kinda doubt they will, if a good TV deal arrives—if they’d be interested in working with an/other Japanese promotion/s.

New Japan is impressive but they are hardly storming the gates here in North America.  Even the MSG show isn’t going to be the coming out party you’d kinda need it to be when your sharing a spotlight.  A cooperation would keep the steady flow of big splash making events coming.  NJPW could be a part of that until a reliable tour schedule can be founded.  Expanded outreach of exposure only increases audience access to your show.  When AEW, NJPW, and ROH are in a business of needing to let everyone know who they are, it only makes sense.

FFS just make it “COMPETITIVE!”  

17 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Key thing is that Dave mentions RoH and AEW being competitors. If NJPW doesn't end partnership with RoH then it doesn't really make sense for NJPW to work with AEW.

Seems like they're sticking with ROH.

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

So what exactly is going to set AEW apart from ROH, MLW, and Impact? Different money mark? Or is part of this going to be the wrestler union talk? 

Sorta on that last part I guess since supposedly the wrestlers are employees and will get health benefits

Also - the TV deal could be the key because getting on WGN America instantly makes it the best TV deal of the lot (Since Sinclair just has ROH on to fill infomercial time basically)

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

New Japan is impressive but they are hardly storming the gates here in North America.  Even the MSG show isn’t going to be the coming out party you’d kinda need it to be when your sharing a spotlight. 

Point of order: NJPW sold out the Garden. It doesn't matter who they partnered with.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sorta on that last part I guess since supposedly the wrestlers are employees and will get health benefits

Also - the TV deal could be the key because getting on WGN America instantly makes it the best TV deal of the lot (Since Sinclair just has ROH on to fill infomercial time basically)

Which is why I don;t see them going to The CW, Sinclair would probably make too much noise due to their ownership of a large number of CW affiliates.

18 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

If the rumors/talk when the Smackdown deal with Fox was true. Is there any reason to think ESPN would possibly be someone looking at an AEW tv deal?

Not with UFC in the fold now.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

So what exactly is going to set AEW apart from ROH, MLW, and Impact? Different money mark? Or is part of this going to be the wrestler union talk? 

Biggest thing that sets it apart is this is going to see how important smarks are in the pro wrestling landscape. 

Wrestling is a star system. If you have the stars, you're going to be a successful promotion. Even if you're other promotions, traditionally if you got TV deals, it came with the "We have X, Y, Z" and the "WE'RE GETTING Z?" factor from the networks.

The $64,000 question here is going to be "Are smark fans big enough to get to a point where AEW saying 'we're a new national promotion, and WE have Cody, the Young Bucks, and Kenny Omega' enough to open those doors?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

More money, better tv maybe.

• Like 1

All of that plus they'll have the biggest stars stateside other than WWE. I expect ROH's ticket sales to tank when you consider that the bulk of their fans were Bullet Club bros and the promotion had been centred around them the past three or so years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

If AEW wants to work with New Japan—as we’re told they do—then Kenny’s not just the biggest, but most interesting chip. Sign him, and New Japan is probably unhappy—but they’d be more likely to allow talent to work with them, if he’s among the talent. At the very least I could see Kenny insisting on freedom to work his friends’ shows even if he does re-sign. I’m also really curious, should New Japan turn them down—and I kinda doubt they will, if a good TV deal arrives—if they’d be interested in working with an/other Japanese promotion/s.

If they're turned down, DDT would almost certainly be invited in, Kenny had Michael Nakazawa on his CEO show, and I could see him working with NOAH.  The question is whether Kenny's a big enough draw to get NOAH and DDT over in the US.  If he is, that could hurt NJPW's western expansion plans. 

Here's the question, would Kenny (and likely Ibushi) in a non-NJPW Japanese ring be a draw in Japan?

The safest play for NJPW would be to try working with AEW and ROH in the short-term , then ditch whichever one isn't doing as well.  The only thing ROH really gives NJPW is a good place to do excursions, and AEW might give the same thing. 

Jay White's ROH excursion went really well.

I’m very interested to see who else is coming in. Feels like a ton of talent they would want to get is tied down to WWE, RoH, MLW or Impact for the most part.

Im working on the assumption Jericho will be in, would Callis come in given his Impact position? 

Its definitly the most interesting thing to happen in ages.

4 hours ago, alstein said:

They struggle to build stars outside of the Elite.

It's early days, but I expect this as well. Especially when SCU are all over your big reveal video. Distribution is important, but I need to see some star power before I'm convinced this stands a chance of working. 

Hopefully that Khan money gets them someone who can produce a decent video package. Most everything from All In and BTE is amateur hour. Time to call in a pro.

There were some timing issues with All In for the top matches and some entrances. Hope Cody learned some lessons.

I hope this is good. But it's still very early days.

• Like 2

The most interesting thing to me is how the Khans will run this promotion.   They have a ton of money but are they willing to throw big money at this thing and take losses for a year or two?  That will be the difference between whether it is a successful ROH level type of promotion or something greater. 

They aren't plucking away any significant WWE talents with ROH level contracts. 

39 minutes ago, alstein said:

If they're turned down, DDT would almost certainly be invited in, Kenny had Michael Nakazawa on his CEO show, and I could see him working with NOAH.  The question is whether Kenny's a big enough draw to get NOAH and DDT over in the US.  If he is, that could hurt NJPW's western expansion plans.

Here's the question, would Kenny (and likely Ibushi) in a non-NJPW Japanese ring be a draw in Japan?

I like NOAH, but I kinda doubt that anyone in USA really wants to get their shit pushed in every time they are in ring with some NOAH wrestler. And if it doesn't have shoot headbutts that split skulls or ref stoppages because someone likely was KOed then it is not NOAH worth watching.

As for Kenny/Ibushi being draws outside of NJPW, they wrestled before in DDT and it looked like they did ok. If they left NJPW and worked out a deal with DDT then I think them returning to and doing at least few DDT shows would be a big deal.

If you can't get Cornette involved, then another obvious heel manager is Enzo. Not without his problems obviously (& you clearly don't want him to 'wrestle'), but he's draw nuclear heat and probably put eyes on the product.

I'm mentioning heel managers, because obviously that can be used as a crux for using lesser known guys to start with whilst they look to peel off disgruntled guys from other promotions.

Chris Masters is unsigned right? I wonder if he's still any good?