DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

Dave says Cody has already signed a contract, Bucks should in the next day or two, and they have more than one tv offer but nothing signed. No word on any relationship or not with NJPW.

• Thanks 2

Let’s see if Kenny retains on the 4th or not.

Cody and the boys has a history with WGN.

CW would be cool as it’s Network and in more homes but would they really sign an upstart wrestling company to tv deal?

same goes for WGN.

Marty is still under contract to ROH until... Uh, either April, September, or the entire year, depending on who you listen to.

Dave specifically mentioned Kenny could re-sign, sign with AEW (where he may or may not still be able to work with New Japan) or still jump to WWE.

SCU was also in the video, if that means anything.

Yep yep. First thing is distribution then it's NJPW relationship. I don't see Omega going to WWE and I have a hard time seeing him leave an unfinished story with Ibushi in NJPW for AEW if they can't figure something out with NJPW. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So presumably he could do shows for AEW as well. Interesting.

I think it is unlikely if they won't have relationship with NJPW. After all AEW can be considered a competitor for RoH so I think it would be logical for NJPW to say that if he wants to work with AEW then he won't get any dates from NJPW.

And yes, I think that if NJPW wanted to work with AEW then they probably would have added Bucks, Cody and Hangman to MSG show.

In another thread we speculated a bit about possibly Cage leaving Impact after next PPV and going to RoH. But he might be going to AEW. Or not going anywhere. Just a theory.

I kinda wish it was like the old days and all this company's would just work together. I mean say like in Toronto it wasn't out of the question to have the AWA and WWF champions on the same card. Impact sort of got the idea by showcasing other champions. Austin Aries the belt collector was a cool idea (just wrong person since he burns his bridges and all). So I hope AEW can work out something with ROH and NJPW because in the end it helps everyone if they work together instead of this "oh well, he's exclusive". None of these companies are the WWE who can make a guy or girl exclusive. 

That's another thing I hope they don't go crazy off the bat and try to compete with the WWE on scale and stuff. 

Honestly though, I doubt it could happen but I'd love to see this thing end up on Netflix. On demand is the future and you would get into way more homes than being on WGN or maybe local CW stations.

• Like 3

Here is the writeup from WON (spoilers just for size)

Spoiler

After weeks of speculation, All Elite Wrestling is now official.

AEW was officially announced at the end of a Being the Elite episode that was uploaded at midnight Pacific time on January 1, 2019. In addition to the promotion, the episode also announced "Double or Nothing" -- the sequel to All In.

The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, and Hangman Page were included in the reveal of AEW and Double or Nothing. SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky) were also part of the episode.

There will be a Double or Nothing rally at TIAA Bank Field (the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars) in Jacksonville, Florida at 5 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, January 8, with more information about Double or Nothing and AEW being revealed then. The advertisement notes that the rally will include a "special announcement from The Elite." The Young Bucks, Cody & Brandi Rhodes, Hangman Page, Daniels, Kazarian, and Sky are featured on the ad, and it says that there will be more special guests.

The rally will be free to attend and will be taking place at the parking lot in front of West Club at TIAA Bank Field. Live stream information for it will be announced soon.

AEW has been rumored since October, with trademarks for the promotion being filed in November. 

As the announcement was made, Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez discussed the details of AEW on Wrestling Observer Radio. Here are some notes from the episode:

- There are guys signed to the promotion, including Cody. The Young Bucks aren't officially signed yet but could be within 24-48 hours.

- There's no television deal for AEW yet, but there are "multiple offers out there." Meltzer said he's confident enough to say that he thinks it will happen.

- People are being signed to multi-year contracts.

- Tony Khan (of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham FC) is the head of the company. He's a longtime professional wrestling fan and the son of billionaire Shahid Khan.

- What happens with AEW and New Japan Pro Wrestling is "100 percent up in the air." Everyone in All Elite would like to have a relationship with NJPW and would like to continue working with them. Whether or not NJPW will do it is up in the air.

- The success of All In wasn't lost on certain people in the TV industry. Those who watched it were very impressed.

- Meltzer doesn't think ROH talent will be working for AEW -- they'll be competing for the same wrestlers. Meltzer called this the greatest thing for talent since the WWF/WCW war, with WWE, AEW, and ROH now all competing for talent. They all wanted Bandido, and ROH got him

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/all-elite-wrestling-and-double-or-nothing-officially-announced-273526

• Like 1