DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Tekken 7 released TWO DLC characters yesterday, Ganryu and Leroy Smith.

These opinions are from a dude that doesn't give a shit about hit boxes or frame data or high level tournament play and just likes casually playing Tekken against the CPU or friends.  I play Treasure Battle constantly, more or less.  

Ganryu and Wang were my mains in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, so I was pretty happy because Ganryu is still Ganryu.  I started playing Ganryu when Harada said he was his favorite character.  It turns out Harada was bullshitting and joking and just said that because he was the least popular character.  I had thought it was legit praise and decided to try the guy out as a result.  I ended up loving his play style and really enjoying him, so I basically got trolled into a favorite character.

In the trailers, Leroy appeared to be a big black Wang.  I figured he was a replacement for Wang, who timeline wise should be DEAD AS SHIT by now, he was already like 120 years old in the last game.  My trailer read wasn't entirely accurate.  Sadly, he's a bit less fluid than Wang, which is to say he's a bigger blacker stiffer Wang, but he's still pretty good, just had too much blue chew or something.  He's one of the more fun characters in Tekken as it is.  I think he's blind but also a pimp but also a kung fu master.  You don't get a lot of story background on DLC people.  He has a cool dog.

9 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

GreedFall.  You have to put a bit of effort into building relationships with your NPC's.  If you don't, if you treat them like sh**, they will abandon you.

How is this game, anyway? I stumbled upon it when I was searching for games to buy, and I'm a sucker for RPGs that have weird settings (see: Horizon Zero Dawn - well, kinda?).

12 hours ago, Casey said:

How is this game, anyway? I stumbled upon it when I was searching for games to buy, and I'm a sucker for RPGs that have weird settings (see: Horizon Zero Dawn - well, kinda?).

I liked Greedfall quite a bit.  I kinda agree with the complaints that it needed more polish.  The day one build was kinda buggy, and at times, the enemies seem rather repetitive.  The games needs a larger variety of creature types.  But the world-building was fascinating.  The setting is a fantasy world, but it's a fantasy world closely modeled on Europe during the Age of Discovery (15th-17th century).  I found the colonialism and diplomatic missions to really interesting.

I also really liked that the game doesn't do much hand-holding.  The plot of the game is sorta loosely based on Christopher Columbus "discovering" the NeW World and taking it away from the indigenous people.  There are times in the game when diplomacy is probably a better option than fighting.  There are times when you find yourself having to make moral decisions that affect large groups of people.  The game doesn't have a morality system, so it doesn't really nudge you one way or the other when these issues crop up. Also, like I said before, you actually have to put some work into keeping NPC's around.  You can't depend on the game to keep them around just for plot convenience.  If you're a sh**head to them, they'll leave you and not come back.

The reviewers who say it feels like a BioWare game from a decade or so ago have it right, imo.  I feel like it's Spider's best game by a wide margin.

Edited by Whodathunkit
  • Like 1

Stadia continues working really, really well for me, but I'm afraid to look at how much data it's eating up. I never played the new Tomb Raider games before and wound up playing it for nearly 3 hours. That's a really good game and it performs well on Stadia. I didn't have any hitches or anything else either.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Stadia continues working really, really well for me, but I'm afraid to look at how much data it's eating up. I never played the new Tomb Raider games before and wound up playing it for nearly 3 hours. That's a really good game and it performs well on Stadia. I didn't have any hitches or anything else either.

To be honest, it shouldn't eat up that much more data than a standard video stream.  Only real difference is sending your controller commands upstream, downstream is just regular video/audio data.  

Just now, Raziel said:

To be honest, it shouldn't eat up that much more data than a standard video stream.  Only real difference is sending your controller commands upstream, downstream is just regular video/audio data.  

You think so? I remember reading articles about how much data Stadia eats up and it's a lot. Something like 15gb per hour. Netflix (and Prime) would be around 7 gb per hour for 4K content or about 3 gb per hour for HD content. I assume the same is true for Hulu, YTTV, etc.

15GB/hr sounds really high.  The packets for commands would be small as they're just inputs,  and anything you're getting in is just video/audio streams.  I'm not passing much more than 3 GB/hr on my PS Remote Play locally.  I've used remote play on my wifi at work with no issues and it never flagged for high bandwidth usage, so the numbers don't add up in my head.

On a slightly similar topic has anybody used Playstation Now?  I figured with our connection it might be worth giving it a try.  But even for $60 a year I'm just not sure if people have had issues or if it worked as advertised.

I tried it.  Worked fine on my PS4 (that's hardwired into the router).  Worked like crap on my laptop, so I didn't go forward (I play way more on my laptop, hence why I use Remote Play so much)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

15GB/hr sounds really high.  The packets for commands would be small as they're just inputs,  and anything you're getting in is just video/audio streams.  I'm not passing much more than 3 GB/hr on my PS Remote Play locally.  I've used remote play on my wifi at work with no issues and it never flagged for high bandwidth usage, so the numbers don't add up in my head.

1080p they say up to 12.6 gigs an hour, the next step up is 20 gigs an hour. 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, Tromatagon said:

Tekken 7 released TWO DLC characters yesterday, Ganryu and Leroy Smith.

These opinions are from a dude that doesn't give a shit about hit boxes or frame data or high level tournament play and just likes casually playing Tekken against the CPU or friends.  I play Treasure Battle constantly, more or less.  

Ganryu and Wang were my mains in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, so I was pretty happy because Ganryu is still Ganryu.  I started playing Ganryu when Harada said he was his favorite character.  It turns out Harada was bullshitting and joking and just said that because he was the least popular character.  I had thought it was legit praise and decided to try the guy out as a result.  I ended up loving his play style and really enjoying him, so I basically got trolled into a favorite character.

In the trailers, Leroy appeared to be a big black Wang.  I figured he was a replacement for Wang, who timeline wise should be DEAD AS SHIT by now, he was already like 120 years old in the last game.  My trailer read wasn't entirely accurate.  Sadly, he's a bit less fluid than Wang, which is to say he's a bigger blacker stiffer Wang, but he's still pretty good, just had too much blue chew or something.  He's one of the more fun characters in Tekken as it is.  I think he's blind but also a pimp but also a kung fu master.  You don't get a lot of story background on DLC people.  He has a cool dog.

as someone that does enjoy high level tekken, and likes learning about all that hit box/frame data stuff: Leroy is from hell. It'd be one thing if he had a really counter heavy play style, because then the parry stance would make more sense. The problem is that his moveset is largely extremely safe and his damage is FUCKING INSANE, so he can be played as either the best defensive character in the game or the best offensive character in the game, with basically no execution requirement to make those playstyles work. Usually when a character has that many tools they have some kind of significant deficit. For example, Wang was soul crushing defensively, but, his range wasn't exactly amazing, so he had to either get in real close or let people come to him before he could do anything. Leroy doesn't have that problem at all.

on one hand, it's nice to know that The Character From Hell is an original character for Tekken, and it's not Akuma anymore. On the other hand, god damn I do not want to face Leroy ever.

Just got a new PC and splurged, and am looking for a good eye candy game. I've got Xbox Game Pass PC and Forza 4 is certainly lovely, but I don't gel that well with driving games.  Being on Game Pass helps but isn't required.  (Also, is there a reason I can't download Outer Worlds via the Gamepass app?  The Install button is greyed out and hovering turns the cursor into a NO sign)

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Just got a new PC and splurged, and am looking for a good eye candy game. I've got Xbox Game Pass PC and Forza 4 is certainly lovely, but I don't gel that well with driving games.  Being on Game Pass helps but isn't required.  (Also, is there a reason I can't download Outer Worlds via the Gamepass app?  The Install button is greyed out and hovering turns the cursor into a NO sign)

RDR2? 

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Up to level 30, and it looks like I might soon discover what Zero Dawn actually is.

Nice, I love the story, even if the dialogue is a little odd at times. Still haven't played The Frozen Wilds, it sits with many many other games and DLCs while I fuck around for hours in the newly-Bedrock PS4 Minecraft.

• Like 1

2 trophies away from Platinum'ing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on PS4 (just got to do the campaign on Hardened/Veteran). I sorta wished:

that the ending of the game was your character, Gideon and Ilona got killed by Kevin Spacey's Jonathan Irons and his ATLAS forces. It would be a gut punch and may actually have done something different with Call of Duty. Instead, you get out, stop the launch of a bio weapon then kill Kevin Spacey in a very cheesy final scene.