DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Meanwhile in Rocket League, it's the Eighties. Ecto-1 is in the DLC store, and playing games earns you cassettes you can trade in for ET moon wheels or Marty McFly's hat and skateboard.

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Wolfenstein Young Blood looks really fun, but I need to finish The New Colossus first. I wish I had a VR set, because Cyberpilot looks awesome and I'm all about the Wolfenstein series tbh.

I liked DOOM, but something is lost when you have to turn up the brightness to even see anything.

For Doom, on the PS4 at least, I think there's a bug. If you start the game and then go into the video settings, everything should be set to default because you're only playing the thing for the first time. I noticed that the Gamma in there was set to .3, which makes shit barely visible. I then clicked on the return to default settings button, and the gamma changed to 1.0. This was a huge improvement. You could see shit without turning the brightness up. I have no idea why it's like that, but I just kinda discovered it by accident.

6 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I'm really just now digging into the PS3 generation after not owning a PS3 or X360 when they were current gen.  As I said a page or so back, PS3 is slowly becoming my favorite system.  I've just discovered Borderlands and Bulletstorm and played both for the first time this past weekend.  Love both.

I'm having trouble finding "realistic" shooters i like (Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, etc.).  I mostly gravitate towards the over-the-top sci-fi ones like 'Vanquish.

I kinda miss those Medal of Honor games EA used to make. They were disposable, but the best ones (or at least the ones I enjoyed the most, like European Assault) were meant to be played on the run. They were good junk food games, which is what I prefer out of my FPS games, and which explains why I like Borderlands and Bulletstorm. Empty calories, but totally worth my time.

Figured I'd share this for the wonderful absurdity of it all.  Not sure who played with the Star Control game series but apparently there was a legal battle over ownership among other things.  So they agreed on a settlement that involved mead and honey and I just couldn't but laugh at it all.  https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/stardock-and-star-control-creators-settle-lawsuits-with-mead-and-honey/

Speaking of Borderlands 2 and the speed of play, the Mechromancer character I'm playing as demands speedy play if you go with one of the upgrade trees. I hit the "Deathtrap stays active longer with each kill" perk and between that and the richocheting bullets and my fire rate going up with a half-empty or less gun, I'm incentivized to move forward for as long as possible, killing as much as possible as quickly as possible. The downside is that I have long periods where, after the Deathtrap finally needs to recharge or loses all power, I have to retrace my steps to loot all the rooms or areas that I've run through, which takes much, much longer than the cooldown period before I can launch the Deathtrap again.

The game is a lot more fun once I took that path on the skill tree, though. 

Picked up Horizon Zero Dawn for $10 and bought the Contra Anniversary Collection yesterday too. I still have a goal to get the Ebony Warrior fight in Skyrim before I play anything else though. My character is currently at level 74 so I'm almost there.

• Like 2

I am good at video games, I swear. I just dusted off my copy of R-Type Final, I beat all the B-Sides in Celeste last month, I take to the rogue-like-like games well but I am awful at Necrodancer. Which is double-weird considering I was a very high level music game guy in my heyday. I don't know what it is. My girlfriend could at least get to level three...

It's really put me off buying Cadence of Hyrule. I don't know if I want to face my shortcomings so absolutely as I did with the original.

So I've been trying the xbox game pass pc beta thing and got around to trying some indie games I've been waffling on and could never justify buying. It's at this point that I'm gonna give a seasonal reminder as to what my scale translates to:
1 = I Hate This
2 = I Regret Playing This
3 = I Don't Regret Playing This
4 = I Love This
4.5 = Game of the Year
5 = A Dream Come True (so Fire Pro World, Tetris 99, and maybe Virtua Fighter 6 some day)

VOID BASTARDS [2]
What's weird is that I would recommend this game in a heartbeat to anyone that likes roguelikes. It seems extremely clever and well made, and its setting is just fantastic. I just am not the target audience. I have too much of a perfectionism thing to enjoy roguelikes, and once it sank in that it was one of those and I was like feeling my chest tighten as I progressed through the third level, I realized "oh right, I dislike these" and uninstalled it.

KINGSWAY [1]
Speaking of Not for Me, Kingsway! It's an open world RPG built with the conceit of like it being a fake operating system that has this one game installed that just launches a shit ton of popups to manage health, quests, etc. It is a very particular kind of throwback. Turns out, I have absolutely no nostalgia for how PC RPGs circa Windows 3.1 used to work, and I bounced off this within minutes. I'm sure this is someone's perfect game, it sure as shit isn't mine.

WEST OF LOATHING [2]
This is a very specific 2. Namely, it's that I cannot justify the time investment that it would take to beat this right now, which is awful because I REALLY want to just clear all my responsibilities out of the way and shove this in my face until it's done. It's the first comedy game I've played in years that I've caught myself laughing at multiple times, and on top of that it's got a decently dense set of RPG mechanics that would make a non-violent playthrough possible. It's just arrived at exactly the wrong time in my life. Strong recommend, but this game and I are star crossed lovers.

21 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

WEST OF LOATHING [2]
This is a very specific 2. Namely, it's that I cannot justify the time investment that it would take to beat this right now, which is awful because I REALLY want to just clear all my responsibilities out of the way and shove this in my face until it's done. It's the first comedy game I've played in years that I've caught myself laughing at multiple times, and on top of that it's got a decently dense set of RPG mechanics that would make a non-violent playthrough possible. It's just arrived at exactly the wrong time in my life. Strong recommend, but this game and I are star crossed lovers.

Have you heard of incomplete grades?

(I get it's an arbitrary system that caters to your tastes.  But calling it 'incomplete' does the same thing and also summarizes everything you just described.)

I played the first half of West of Loathing and have no idea why I stopped. I might just start it from the top and play it on the exercise bike. Friggin' hilarious game, great pacing and a welcome bit of nostalgia for me since I used to fuck with Kingdom of Loathing back in the day. It's great when something from my high school years actually holds up.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Finished with Watch Dogs (I completed the story two weeks ago, I was just tidying up the completion). Done 29 out of 30 Drinking Game challenges, but really not interested in trying the final one again. Now moved on to God of PS4War. It's very early days but it looks fantastic.

I still need to get West of Loathing. Kingdom of Loathing was a daily ritual for 5 yrs for me, and while i eventually outgrew it i still love its dumbass sense of humor. So a 1p game by that team is right upnmy alley, but in 2 years i still haven't got off my ass to play it

I got my 142nd Platinum trophy with Starblood Arena. You need a VR headset to play it and the game sorta sucks. Soundtrack is decent though with Reverend Horton Heat and a band I dig called American Sharks (sound like Dead Kennedys and early '80s punk bands).

On 6/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, Death From Above said:

Cadence of Hyrule's soundtrack is unbelievably God-tier.

Same people who did Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is also on sale ultra-cheap on Steam right now.

I still need to get Crypt as I thoroughly enjoyed what I played of it at Magfest.  But Cadence is just so damn fun to play.

I want Cadence of Hyrule, but I'd rather buy it physically for that 25 dollar price. I've been burned too many times on digital copies of games over $25 that I couldn't then trade in (Runner3, for example, which actually did get a physical release that I didn't find out about until well after I pre-ordered). 

On another note, I bought a PS Classic on a whim because it was only thirty bucks, and now I am playing Bushido Blade 2 and Einhander and don't worry, it's all above board, very legal and very cool. 

The best thing about the PS Classic is actually that you get two USB PS1 controllers. That's really nice value for what I paid.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I pre-ordered Samurai Shodown so I get the season pass for free. Can’t wait to play it. It looks like a return to SS2 gameplay which is my all-time favorite fighting game.