DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I was fully on board with the Wii and loved the innovative controls.  Heck, I even had the fitness board and Wii Fit even though it loved to remind me how obese I am.  Traditional control schemes just weren't going to happen though some things did work out quite nicely.  I really wanted to like Wii U but something just felt off about it.  The gamepad could only go so far from the console and the selection wasn't the best.  But during that time I was all about the DS and 3DS.  There were some mighty fine games to be played and my wife and I took ours everywhere.  But somewhere along the way I lost interest and the Switch being truly portable means I likely won't be using the 3DS much anymore.  And with them apparently making a more handheld-friendly version of the Switch I can see the 3DS fading out fairly quickly.  It's sad but that's how technology works.

I'd be half tempted to get the Vita on the cheap if it meant I can play Fire Pro on the go through their remote service.  If so then that may be tempting down the line.

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I'm a big fan of most of Nintendo's IP's, so the 3DS's catalog appeals to me, but I have no interest in handheld systems.  Why did it take so long for manufacturers to start selling handhelds that could be hooked to your tv and played as a console? If nothing else, it seems like something that would make a system like the 3DS more attractive to console owners, thereby increasing the 3DS's potential consumer base.

I just started digging through the Vita catalog because I never had any interest in buying a Vita, but I did pick up a PlayStation TV last week, so some of the Vita catalog is now available to me.

I'm probably just as glad I skipped the Vita proper.  Not really a fan of innovative controls (motion controls, touch screens, etc.).  I like the Wii library quite a bit, but I'd like Wii and Wii U more with traditional control schemes. 

The Vita actually got me back into handheld gaming, but that's because it had impressive ports of Western games for its time (and even now, I think). MK9, Injustice, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Rayman Origins and Legends (though the latter was ruined by the touch control parts of the game that weren't like that on the superior PS4 version), etc. I basically just bought as many 360/PS3 ports of Western games and Sony first-party as I could. 

Which brings me to the point that what I really wanted out of a handheld was to play console games, just at lower res, 30 FPS, etc., and the Switch does that perfectly for me right now with the added bonus that I can play the AAA releases like Super Mario Odyssey or what have you on TV where they have higher rez  and look fantastic.

I remember feeling like I needed to get in a time machine to go show eight-year-old me something like Rayman Origins or UvMC3 running on a Vita, and that's how I feel times two whenever I load a BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, NBA 2K, etc. up in handheld mode.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

For the past six months I have been trying to let Hollow Knight put it's hooks in me.

I watched numerous YouTube videos with gameplay footage and I liked the visual style .

But here I am after numerous attempts at playing it and it still leaves me cold.

Does anyone think Salt and Sanctuary would turn out the same for me?

I see that Best Buy has the Switch version on sale and it would be $16 + tax after GCU discount.

Pokemon Ultra Moon is so damn fun. I've only ever played Red/Blue/Yellow and Crystal, and going from those to this is quite the shock. I don't know when they added the the concept of giving everyone on your team experience points, instead of only the Pokemon you use during any given battle, but holy fuck is it a welcome addition. I was playing Crystal last week while I was waiting on Ultra Moon to be delivered to my doorstep, and it was such. a. fucking. grind. to level up everyone in your team individually. It's also really weird to play a handheld Pokemon game and it's not 2D sprites and the battles are mostly animated (as in, moves and such). I like that your "rival" isn't an obnoxious little asshole like the rival was in the original games. Friendly competition is way more fun.

As a 29 year old playing this game, it's weird to have your avatar battling preschoolers and whatnot, though. I know these games are marketed towards kids, but I thought they realized a few years ago that adults play these games too. Just a tiny nitpick, but it's not that important in the long run. Baffles my mind that kids still play these games, when I was playing these games when I was a kid too. Just crazy.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:50 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

You'll probably receive the game sometime this summer.

Arrived today.

I gather from the forums that LR games are slow to ship.  I assume the game being tied up in a lawsuit allowed them to get it finished but couldn't put it up for sale until the lawsuit was resolved.

Ordered Undertale from Fangamer a few minutes ago.  Also have a couple games in the mail.

20 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Arrived today.

I gather from the forums that LR games are slow to ship.  I assume the game being tied up in a lawsuit allowed them to get it finished but couldn't put it up for sale until the lawsuit was resolved.

Ordered Undertale from Fangamer a few minutes ago.  Also have a couple games in the mail.

Glad you had a good experience with them.

I am a fan of their company.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Wario-Land-Virtual-Boy.jpg

Top five Nintendo game of all time. I'm not even kidding.

It uses its foreground-background design to great effect. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, Gonzo said:

For anyone that's ever wanted to change your PSN name. . .

Apparently now you can change your PSN name.

It blows my mind that Sony created a name system so messed up that changing your name can cause "critical issues". That's some 1983 3rd grade-level programming right there. 

• Like 2

I'm debating getting Watch Dogs 2 while it's cheap, but I was wondering if the Gold Edition is worth the extra. I've heard the DLC on AC: Origins is really good, but it seems like there really isn't much opinion on WD2. I'm guessing just get the base for $9 is the play.

Watchdogs 2 was very fucking playable.  Your enjoyment will depend on how much of an unprovoked asshole you are.  You can just call the cops on bad drivers and people with dumb haircuts.  70% of the upgrade trees are garbage you'll never use.  I want more emphasis on the gadgets in the next game.

Halfway through AC origins I got the Season pass for 15 bucks.  Then by the time I finished the main game I never continued while the iron was hot.  Like, right before the very end I finally went north of the starting village and there's an obscene amount of shit I'll never see.   I was playing Odyssey and liking it then dropped off.  25 hours in and I still didn't have that teleporting spear thing.  I also think the graphics on Origins were a bit better.  When yer coming out of a pyramid and you've got your torch on and you come up to the exit it's amazing.

Mostly I've just been wanting to play hot jazz guitar.

I’m at the end of Sekiro, but right before I’m set to face the final boss I encountered an optional boss...

Demon of Hatred

My God, I think it took me literally almost six hours. I got so frustrated that I turned off the volume for this fight, and put on a podcast. I think all this memorizing movements is going to give me early  Alzheimer’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

20 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 138th Platinum trophy with Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando on PS3. Bit of a grindy game and there were some tough spots, but great to have Platinum.

I remember loving that game, but I never tried to plat it.  Up Your Arsenal is where everything truly gels in the formula, with better weapon balance, Qwark as corrupt-yet-lovable rather than complete monster, skill points getting truly weird, etc.

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I remember loving that game, but I never tried to plat it.  Up Your Arsenal is where everything truly gels in the formula, with better weapon balance, Qwark as corrupt-yet-lovable rather than complete monster, skill points getting truly weird, etc.

Essentially, almost all of the game is easier to do for Platinum Bolts and skill points in the first playthrough, with the remaining 2 in Challenge Mode. There's a glitch on Planet Glebin where you can earn over a 1 million bolts by spamming the Black Sheepinator on the remote controlled robot. Final boss is ridiculously easy with maxed out weapons on the first playthrough.

I'll go for Ratchet & Clank 3 later but I'm trying to do Devil May Cry 2 HD next. There's an order to it: 137 - LEGO Indiana Jones 2, 138 - Ratchet & Clank 2 and 139 - Devil May Cry 2 HD (?).

On August 1, 2019, the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC servers for Burnout Paradise will shut down. Burnout Paradise Remastered servers will remain open. May as well get the Platinum / 100% / 1000 out of 1000 Gamerscore while you can. Just watch out for people sending you pics of their ballsacks.

Edited by Andrew POE!

For anybody that still plays Smash Brothers Ultimate Joker came out for DLC and you now can create levels to share.  So far it's a pretty neat system though I wish you could add items like the boxing ring from Punch Out into it.  Have found some pretty interesting stuff to download which has added some replayability to the game.

The post-game boss-fight time trials to earn Smiley Flowers in Yoshi's Crafted World are some Sekiro-level fuckery.

Which is only something of an exaggeration. I'm switching over to playing Cuphead levels to cool down when I feel myself going nowhere with hitting the times for defeating these Yoshi bosses, which, uh, never would have guessed that.