DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

We do Xmas Eve presents with my two teens from a previous marriage, and my son has had some depression issues these last few years and couldn't come up with a list. He loves his PS4 though so I took a gamble and got a VR bundle. Opened it and set it up and he fucking loves it, so I'm a happy dad!

Also while it's seriously an awesome piece of technology, I don't know how much of it I can handle at my 38 years of age! Tried Wipeout Remastered and HOLY SHIT it was too much, got dizzy pretty damn quick. Incredibly impressive, though. 

• Like 4

@christopher.annino I was thinking about getting the VR... any clue how it would work for someone with glasses? I'm blind as fuck without them, so that's not an option. The headset looks like it would mash up against a pair of glasses, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm mainly dying to play Doom in VR.

Anyway, I got $75 in Playstation Store giftcards tonight, and I've already spent all of it on the Lego Marvel collection (Super Heroes 1+2 and Avengers), Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. That's in addition to the previously mentioned games I bought that came in today (except for Bloodborne and NieR:Automata were delayed by a day). My back catalog is already growing, and I'm so happy about that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

@christopher.annino I was thinking about getting the VR... any clue how it would work for someone with glasses? I'm blind as fuck without them, so that's not an option. The headset looks like it would mash up against a pair of glasses, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm mainly dying to play Doom in VR.

I'm gonna fuck around with them a little more tomorrow but they're supposedly made so that you can comfortably wear them over eyeglasses. They didn't really feel like mashed up against my face, pretty comfortable all things considered. 

That’s good news, my next paycheck has two days of holiday pay on it so I’ll be able to afford to buy a full price, factory sealed brand new bundle instead of being cheap and buying a used one on eBay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Anyway, I got $75 in Playstation Store giftcards tonight, and I've already spent all of it on the Lego Marvel collection (Super Heroes 1+2 and Avengers), Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. That's in addition to the previously mentioned games I bought that came in today (except for Bloodborne and NieR:Automata were delayed by a day). My back catalog is already growing, and I'm so happy about that.

I have had PSVR since June and am legally blind even with glasses.  I find that I can wear the headset comfortably with glasses, but you have to be careful with the rubber seal. It's easy to have it curl in places that won't get in the way but will funnel your breath up and fog up both your glasses and the VR lenses. Also, forget about wearing glasses with both VR and nice can headphones. Earbuds only or it can get super uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Ya'll, holy shit. I remember playing the first Battlefront game, and I hated it. The sequel is so much better, and actually has a story mode which is much appreciated. Maybe it's because I've broken out of my shell when it comes to multiplayer games, compared to when I tried the first one and hated it, but this morning alone I've done (I think) three online matches that lasted at least 30 minutes each. So many modes, too. And it's super easy to rank up, compared to a game like World War Z where you have to grind to level up.

So much fun.

(Oh and fuck Sekiro, as soon as the first enemy appeared after I got the sword I died. I've died 5 times, but progressing a little further each time. But holy shit. If Bloodborne is anything like this, I'm going to be so frustrated.)

• Like 2

We are so far behind in video games that I got the 7 year old Pokepark: Pikachu's Adventure for the original Wii on our Wii U since she's really into the idea of Pikachu this year. She's delighted with it, but it's a little easy for her (which isn't the worst thing).

We're also playing Deponia together which is a bit dodgy at times language wise (more than that, really), but after Broken Age, there's just nothing that's the right level of complexity and age-appropriateness. 

Edited by Matt D

On 12/25/2019 at 8:00 AM, Casey said:

(Oh and fuck Sekiro, as soon as the first enemy appeared after I got the sword I died. I've died 5 times, but progressing a little further each time. But holy shit. If Bloodborne is anything like this, I'm going to be so frustrated.)

Yeah, I've got some bad news for you...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

Yeah, I've got some bad news for you...

Well, fuck. I'll play it eventually but it just went to the bottom of the pile of games I bought. Plus I bought a PS VR on Christmas Day that'll be here on Tuesday, so that pushes it even further down.

I finally took a plunge into the Dark Souls universe with part 3. Ran into Sister Friede and while I can get through the first two stages easily enough, I get absolutely smashed in the third stage. It's been a couple weeks since I last picked it up and I'm not sure if I am going to again. I should at least go back and finish the main game though.

Bloodborne's slightly easier than Sekiro, as it at least lets you level up. Don't play them too close together though, apart from the stress factor, they teach you bad habits for each other. But also, persevere, I'm shit at games and I beat them both, although From games do tend to produce a bloody minded streak that I don't have anything close to usually.

I got Goose Game, Metro Redux, Life Is Strange 2, Brothers and Children Of Morta in the PS sale, and Morta has been devouring my time over the Christmas week. It's a Diablo clone with Roguelike progression mechanics, but the gameplay is fun enough that the grindiness is rewarding, unlike Rogue Legacy, for instance, where it feels like I'm just getting more efficient at a game I fundamentally don't enjoy.

• Like 1

Last year my Christmas break game was Punch Club. I loved it. This year it is Graveyard Keeper. It took some of the mechanics of PC and threw it into a dark version of Stardew Valley. It's super derivative but I'm okay with that because it's exactly the kind of game I enjoy. 

Anyone else playing Jedi Fallen order? I'm loving it. Its very exploration heavy, so closer to a sandbox game(which is not) than a straight forward action like force unleashed. YMMV, but it reminds me a bit of horizon zero dawn in the gameplay. . .

14 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Anyone else playing Jedi Fallen order? I'm loving it. Its very exploration heavy, so closer to a sandbox game(which is not) than a straight forward action like force unleashed. YMMV, but it reminds me a bit of horizon zero dawn in the gameplay. . .

It's fun but fuck some of the puzzles.

Specifically that one sphere one.

You know that a puzzle sucks when you Google "sphere puzzle" and it auto completes "Fallen Order."

I didn't get it on my own because the game lets you do the puzzle in the wrong order, making it so that you really don't notice the pathway I fucked up and didn't notice.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

My daughter and I are playing through Link's Awakening. It's pretty cute and fun, but holy shit are the controls and slowdown absolute garbage half the time. It doesn't bother her much, but it's nails down a chalkboard to me because this shit shouldn't be happening in this generation and with a game that isn't that graphics intensive.

Probably going to play Luigi's Mansion 3 tomorrow.

Edited by Craig H

I tried playing Wind Waker yesterday and I wanted to break my god damned controller after doing that stupid pirate test at the start of the game. The camera may be the worst thing ever. The n64 games weren't like this, were they?!