DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

11 hours ago, D.Z said:

Pokemon sword is double objectively great.

My wife would definitely say so.  As I expected she's been on it all the damn time.  Which works for me as I don't need to consider buying other games for the time being since this is all she plays.

And quick update for those that care, but Playstation Now is a pretty nice service after all.  It allows me to finally play the new God of War without having to download.  Just plug in an ethernet cord and I'm set to go.  I at first was going to cancel the trial but for the yearly price of a game may as well stick around for awhile.  I could go for a lot more PS2 games though or at least Skate for PS3.

SF5 dropped the meat of the Champion Edition upgrade Sunday after the conclusion of Capcom Cup 2019.  Still watching training demos to learn my mains' new V-skills, but I put Gill thru his starting ritual (story mode, SF3 Arcase ladder and Easy Survival) yesterday. He's fun, a "complicated" char like G with a unique system called Anti-Type. I don't currently have time to learn him well enough to put him in my vs rotation but he seems cool.

New WMS Classics pack for PinballFX3: Cirqus Voltaire (which rules), No Good Gophers (which I've never really warmed to) and Tales of the Arabian Knights (which I like but don't love).  It is bonkers that we now have 18 classic tables but none of the Pin*Bot Trilogy and no Black Knight 2k.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

New WMS Classics pack for PinballFX3: Cirqus Voltaire (which rules), No Good Gophers (which I've never really warmed to) and Tales of the Arabian Knights (which I like but don't love).  It is bonkers that we now have 18 classic tables but none of the Pin*Bot Trilogy and no Black Knight 2k.

I could go a long time before getting those four. The most egregious one we haven't gotten so far is Funhouse. I can't wait to see what Zen can do with that table. I am thrilled they got the license away from Farsight. 

35 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm looking at the trophies, and it looks like God of War might not be that bad and I might go for the Platinum.  I of course say this without having fought a Valkyrie yet.

I know when it was released that a lot of people played it through until the Platinum because they enjoyed it that much, which makes me think it's pretty simple.

Spider-Man is a similar case as well.  I haven't played GoW in over a year, and almost probably would have to start over to remember how the heck to play the thing.

So, I did end up buying World War Z, and it's actually pretty fun if you want a mindless shooter - but it's really only fun when you play with other people. The AI is terrible so it's not too great to play by yourself with computer controlled teammates. I played for about two or three hours last night (and throughout the week) with a guy from work and some of his friends, and it's surprisingly fun. It's a good palette cleanser, at least. I can only play so much of stuff like God Of War or Horizon or Last Of Us or indie titles like Everybody's Gone To The Rapture before I need to just turn off my brain for awhile.

In that same vein, though - so I don't get bored of playing the same handful of games over and over every week, I just bought a few games. Anybody got opinions on these? A few are some I've seen people rave about, others are stuff I've heard from friends are good, and then there are some where I'm just intrigued by the few sentences of plot that I've read (spoiler: it's the boxset and I know what type of game they are, so no need to mention that).

• NieR:Automata (Game of the YoRHa Edition)
  • Days Gone
  • Bloodborne
  • Death Stranding
  • Quantic Dream Collection: Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls / Detroit: Become Human

I've got a whole 'nother list sitting in my Amazon cart, but most of them aren't in stock until next week/January, so I'll be waiting. I'll probably end up getting the Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4, too. But I'm weird so I might wait on a boxset with all four of them, who knows.

Edited by Casey

I was surprised to see so much good talk about Star Wars Battlefront 2 lately. In the last couple months I swear I've seen just a ton of good word of mouth about it and how it's night and day compared to what they released initially.

I wound up reinstalling it and playing it for the first time since the game came out and I have to say...it's really fun. This is one of those No Man's Sky type of transformations where the developer, Dice in this case, totally redeemed themselves. I'm just very impressed by the amount of free content they've released, how the only thing you pay for are cosmetic items, how much better leveling and item progression are, and how well the game plays.

Some of my complaints are the same as before. The joke has been that this is just a reskinned Battlefield 4 and man, if that were the case, this game would be a million times even better than what it is now. It's still lame to me that vehicles aren't on the battlefield to hop into and you have to spawn them as a special unit. It's as lame that the environments can't be destroyed. I fucking loved that aspect of Battlefield where you could think you're safe in a building until a wall or floor gets blown out or being able to take out vehicles as players get into them.

Those complaints aside, the game really is fantastic now. If you can find it for cheap or if you bought it way back when and haven't come back to it then I highly suggest doing so. 

Battlefront 2 is in the rotation of games my friends and I play together. It's good shit but when the teams aren't balanced well it can be a pretty wretched time. 

I also gave Battlefield V another shot now that the Pacific Theatre is in the game. Good shit, pal x2. It really felt like an updated version of BF 1942. That's all I've ever wanted from this series. 

Edited by Oyaji

8 hours ago, Casey said:

• Days Gone
  • Bloodborne
  • Death Stranding
  • Quantic Dream Collection: Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls / Detroit: Become Human

I have a pretty high tolerance for adventure/cinematic types of games but Beyond: Two Souls felt like a fucking slog, I finished it and never wanted to play it again. It's also soured me on playing the other two QR games even though I paid nothing for any of them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:
  • Days Gone
  • Bloodborne
  • Death Stranding

I've got a whole 'nother list sitting in my Amazon cart, but most of them aren't in stock until next week/January, so I'll be waiting. I'll probably end up getting the Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4, too. But I'm weird so I might wait on a boxset with all four of them, who knows.

Nier Automata and Bloodborne are outstanding.  Loved both.  Automata is just over-the-top nuts.  Weird sci-fi plotline, great combat, long battles against giant bosses, etc.  It's from PlatinumGames, so you'll probably like it if you enjoyed Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Astral Chain, etc.

Bloodborne - It's from the studio/director behind Dark Souls and Sekiro.  It's basically Dark Souls transplanted to a decaying Victorian city populated by Chulhu monsters.  I'm a huge Dark Souls fan and I like Bloodborne quite a bit more.

Days Gone - bikers, zombies, and a government conspiracy.  It's ok.  I might have passed on it if it wasn't a first-party Sony developer.  Reviews were fairly average.  I liked the setting (Seattle) and the biker culture.  But, the lead character is kinda hard to root for, his relationship with his much smarter girlfriend never rings true, and a lot of the quests are dull.  Game looks nice and has an interesting setup but doesn't do a whole lot with it.  Probably would give the game a decent review, but wouldn't be in my top 10 or 20 of the year.  

Death Stranding - some people love it, some people hate it.  A lot of the game really is just building roads, hauling cargo, and falling over because you're carrying too much cargo on your back.  Gets fairly weird and philosophical at the end.  I really liked the game but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like experimental games or really like Kojima.  If you're looking for something that's constantly action like Bayonetta or Bloodborne, this may not be for you.

Quantic Dreams Collection.  Worthwhile, but nowhere near as good as some of the other games on your list.  Heavy Rain is really good.  Beyond: Two Souls is... an interesting effort.  Detroit is a kinda fascinating sci-fi game about androids becoming sentient, but the writing could have been better.  The game is never the insightful social commentary it thinks it is.  I'd still recommend the collection a lot, though,  Heavy Rain was one of my favorite PS3 games and I'd still recommend Detroit.

• Like 2

Yeah I bought all of these games with the hope that they’re all something different than what I’m used to playing.

Still trying to fill that Horizon sized hole in my heart, though. It’ll suck once I complete the Frozen Wilds DLC. At least they’re coming out with a comic next year, I guess.

Last week, I was just about to find out what Zero Dawn was. It was the next storyline mission I had. So then I spent all week doing sidequests and errands, clearing Bandit Camps and overriding tallnecks and cauldrons, and only got to the actual story of the game yesterday. I do completionism backwards. Some people play the main story, finish the final and just stop. Some people finish the story, then look at how much completion they've got and decide whether to 100% it or not. Whereas I try to 99% it before I actually finish the story.

• Like 1

I don't play a ton of games but that's how I did both Shadow of War/Mordor games and Spider-Man. If you give me a task or shit to collect I will do that until you MAKE me do the story.

• Like 1

That was onei knew I had no chance of completing, as I stunk at things like flying and stunt jumps. 

I think I'm at 92.9% on rdr2 which is close enough for me. I barely started the Orchid hunting. 

Edited by odessasteps

Oddly, stunt jumps didn't count towards 100% in that game, but there were some very weird/obscure races around the map a lot of people never saw. The bike race on Mount Chilliad was absolutely awful. I also honestly don't know how you were supposed to do the San Fiero photography challenge without a guide.

30 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Oddly, stunt jumps didn't count towards 100% in that game, but there were some very weird/obscure races around the map a lot of people never saw. The bike race on Mount Chilliad was absolutely awful. I also honestly don't know how you were supposed to do the San Fiero photography challenge without a guide.

Even worse the first edition of the  strategy guide (which I bought) had the wrong locations for some of the photo spots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who went straight from "Oh shit here we go again..." to going to Los Santos Airport, stealing a jet, flying to San Fierro (and getting Five Stars for trespassing), starting the Motorbike challenge at the docks, doing the 'Infinite Time Limit' glitch on it, then driving around and taking all 100 photos. All with a Five Star wanted level, Ridiculousness.

• Like 2