DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Zelda II would be held back for Zelda Maker 2, I bet.

What they really should do is hire FROM Software to remake Zelda II, except in 3D. That's like the most obvious collaboration ever. 

This reminds me of how lame and somewhat disappointing the dungeon maker in the Link's Awakening remake was, especially when placed in the middle of one of the G.O.A.T. games like that. 

I genuinely like the dungeon designs in Zelda II very much and think overall it's actually a pretty good game, despite the status it holds as Zelda's Weird Cousin game. The only part that sucked was the towns and the Extremely 1980's translation job on the text, but if we live in a time when remakes can make Sephiroth's gibberish interesting for the first time in history, than we can do this too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

I genuinely like the dungeon designs in Zelda II very much and think overall it's actually a pretty good game, despite the status it holds as Zelda's Weird Cousin game. The only part that sucked was the towns and the Extremely 1980's translation job on the text, but if we live in a time when remakes can make Sephiroth's gibberish interesting for the first time in history, than we can do this too.

Hey now...

we're not 100% sure that FF7Remake fixed that issue yet.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, assfax said:

Didn't like all the narrow passages and sliding  parts.

Narrow passages are the new door animations - the things they put in games to eat time so you don't have to watch a loading screen.

17 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

What they really should do is hire FROM Software to remake Zelda II, except in 3D. That's like the most obvious collaboration ever.

I nominate Team Cherry (Hollow Knight). Just imagining a metroidvania Zelda gives me the tingles.

I dug Zelda II when I played it but it had a very steep learning curve and did not hold you hands at all, making it hard to make much progress when you were just borrowing/renting it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The only part that sucked was the towns and the Extremely 1980's translation job on the text, but if we live in a time when remakes can make Sephiroth's gibberish interesting for the first time in history, than we can do this too.

Yeah, but they didn't for FF VIII's issues, so..... *shrug* *sighs*

My favourite thing about playing through VIII casually was that it is 100% possible to never get a single weapon upgrade if you just go where the game tells you to go, levelling up actually makes the game harder, and if you fail even slightly at min-maxing the magic system you can absolutely be screwed when you get to the final disk. That was great design.

Also, you will never encounter Triple Triad even one time if you mainline the story. What a strange game.

I still kinda like it despite all that shit because I actually liked the story and the world, but if someone said that it's not a good game, I don't really have a counter-argument in terms of mechanical design.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

My favourite thing about playing through VIII casually was that it is 100% possible to never get a single weapon upgrade if you just go where the game tells you to go, levelling up actually makes the game harder, and if you fail even slightly at min-maxing the magic system you can absolutely be screwed when you get to the final disk. That was great design.

Also, you will never encounter Triple Triad even one time if you mainline the story. What a strange game.

I still kinda like it despite all that shit because I actually liked the story and the world, but if someone said that it's not a good game, I don't really have a counter-argument in terms of mechanical design.

See, even with the ridiculous techincal stuff aside, I still was alright with VIII up until the big reveals in Disc 3, then the plot lost me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

VIII is definitely a game where they were experimenting with a ton of things all at once, and only a couple things work. Like you, I love the story and the world, and the bits of repeated history they never really explain. But man, a new translation and better battle mechanics would go a long way.

I beat Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare this morning and the game had me wondering if they were going to do an ending that is a gut punch. But they didn't.

What I thought they would do would be have your character Mitchell, Gideon and Ilona get killed while in ATLAS' custody and Kevin Spacey's character Jonathan Irons talk about 'the uprising' in a propaganda video and of course call your character, Gideon and Ilona terrorists. Instead, it turned into a typical COD ending and Irons died the cheesiest way possible. Also, it's scary how much what Jonathan Irons as a character says echoes our current administration.

Also, working through Battleborn and it is more grindy than Evolve, Red Faction Guerrilla, and Killzone Shadowfall combined. It's doable and I should have it done by the January 2021 shut down date, but man is it annoying to do.

Edited by Andrew POE!

So, Observation was a really neat idea that has the bones of a good AI simulator that was fun until you realize that the game itself is only 4 hours long, is glued to rails and has little flexibility and the plot goes completely insane about half way through.  I dug it, but it feels like a quarter of a potentially really great game that probably will never happen.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, AxB said:

Narrow passages are the new door animations - the things they put in games to eat time so you don't have to watch a loading screen.

I miss elevator rides

You know how lots of games have moral choices, and loyalty missions for NPC allies? Has there ever been a game in which it's possible to be such a complete dick that when the final climactic Only We Can Save the World mission starts, all the NPCs decide they would rather see the world end than spend another minute with you?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AxB said:

You know how lots of games have moral choices, and loyalty missions for NPC allies? Has there ever been a game in which it's possible to be such a complete dick that when the final climactic Only We Can Save the World mission starts, all the NPCs decide they would rather see the world end than spend another minute with you?

Dragon Age 2 comes close, I think. Some of the companions will leave or even fight against you if you haven't maxxed out their rep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just bought World War Z for the PS4, since a few guys I work with play it and they've been trying to get me to buy it so I can play online with them as well. Then we were watching gameplay videos of The Forest, and it's $12 on the PS store, so I think I might go for that as well. Seems pretty interesting.

So, I was reading that the most recent God of War had all the leveling and combat stuff I wasn't thrilled with in the newer AC games.  Then I tried it and realized that they armed Kratos with a fucking Mini-Stormbreaker and I can't stop playing this game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, AxB said:

GreedFall.  You have to put a bit of effort into building relationships with your NPC's.  If you don't, if you treat them like sh**, they will abandon you.

• Thanks 1