DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

My Black Friday haul:

Zombieland Road Trip Double Tap, Need For Speed Heat, Disney Classics Aladdin & Lion King, Baldur's Gate I & II Enhanced Edition, Planescape Torment & Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition, The Sinking City, Greedfall, Shenmue III, Root Double Before Crime After Days (a weird US port of a Japanese Vita game), Mortal Kombat 11, Plants Vs. Zombies Battle For Neighborville, Bendy & The Ink Machine (it's BioShockish), and Ghostbusters The Video Game Remastered. All for PS4. A few have online trophies.

Got a bunch of Switch/3DS games which I may play (DKC Tropical Freeze, Octopath Traveler, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Persona Q2).

Currently working on Killzone Mercenary and got 2 missions left for Precision contracts then an endless grind for money and kills for those trophies.

• Like 3

I took a peek at the eShop, and there are some decent little deals there. I bought both of the Batman Telltale games because what the hell? I played the first one on PS4 when it was a PS+ game, and it was a good one of those. At three-bucks-and-change a pop, I'm down with it. They'll be good plane games. 

I also bought the Gunman Clive HD collection, which is the perfect pick-up-and-play game in handheld mode. 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:04 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I beat Donkey Kong on the Game Boy. If you don't know about Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, it isn't exactly Donkey Kong on the Game Boy. It's actually a puzzle platformer with 100 levels, introduced a huge amount of the current Mario control scheme (backflips, rope twirling, rolling after a fall, etc.), launched the excellent Mario vs. Donkey Kong series and is a true contender for best Game Boy game ever. As far as quality, content and accessibility are concerned I think it's one of the first games any Game Boy collector should buy. It's in a very small group of OG Game Boy games that feel completely fresh and playable now.

Before that, I beat Super Mario Galaxy 2. Weird game. It's brilliant in more ways that I can count, with some of the smartest 3D platformer design I've ever encountered, one of those "here's some more" sequels that takes a winning formula and gives you a big, rich second helping of something you already loved. But it feels like less than the sum of it's parts - I'm one of those insufferable types that thinks Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario, and I guess I'm a sucker for atmosphere, a sense of place, cohesion, whatever. As far as running and jumping from Point A to Point B it's an absolute masterwork but looking at it as anything but a collection of great levels makes my eyes blurry.

seconded on Donkey Kong '94. a really great game that you expect to be short and simple, but turns out to be expansive and engaging. highly recommended. IIRC also the first game enhanced for Super Game Boy.

i beat SMG2 earlier this year too. i thought it was a beautiful game but it never engaged me like SMG1. the level design was great, but like you said, it just felt like a loose collection of levels. my personal favorite 3d Mario would be 64, and Galaxy felt like a proper sequel to it.  never played Mario Sunshine, it has been on my "to play" list for 3-4 years. someday......

• Like 1

Galaxy 2 is one of the prettiest games I ever played. The level design mostly left me cold, though. Same with the first Galaxy, actually. 

But man, are they just lovely games to look at and listen to. 

I put well over 400 hours into Slay the Spire before I finally hit a very late game difficulty wall that ended my fun (the higher Ascension levels are absolutely brutal), and I agree since it left early access in early 2019 it's *technically* my game of the year, even though something like 90% of those hours were in 2018. It's absolutely a top 5 roguelike of all time, and probably the one I think is the most accessible while still providing you the tools to keep challenging yourself.

The funny thing is in all that time the Ironclad, which is a character a lot of people swear is the strongest, never clicked for me at all. He was easily my weakest of the three. I was a Silent player.

14 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Welp, I got Football Manager 2020. 

Fuck.

FUCK

First year since I started playing the series in 05 that I am forgoing it. Haven't had a deep run in ages and the feature list for this year's iteration is hella weak. Anything in particular stand out in separating it from 2019?

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

First year since I started playing the series in 05 that I am forgoing it. Haven't had a deep run in ages and the feature list for this year's iteration is hella weak. Anything in particular stand out in separating it from 2019?

I didn't play 2019, actually. I put 520 hours into 2018, Steam tells me.

I can only compare 2020 to 2018, and I'm only an hour into my time with FM this year, but I can see already that you can choose and drill tactical style alongside your formation a bit more fully. Like, I don't remember being able to actually choose Gegenpress as a style in 2018, but that's what I'm running at my club in 2020. It's nice to be able to align a particular playing style to the appropriate formation (and set your pre-match tactics in the balance). 

There is pretty clearly more individual training stuff that I can do, but i haven't delved into that much yet. 

So probably not much that's new. I get the sense that one can go every two or three years buying these. That's what I do, and they always feel significantly updated to me, but I hear that yearly players don't have that same sense. You're probably good with 2019 for another year or two. 

• Like 1

Got my 155th Platinum trophy with Killzone Mercenary on PSVita. The online is completely dead and I boosted it when there were still people playing. It is likely to shut down next year (since Killzone 2 and 3 have been shut down). Great campaign, but 10,000 kills trophy made it VERY old. Playing the same mission at least 50 times just to grind kills. I recommend it but if it weren't for that, I would say go for the Platinum.

WHAT THE GOLF [2]
So on the last page, I mentioned that a 2 can mean I think the game is good but I had a bad time with it. Here's an example: This game is basically Golf Warioware (admittedly with a more grating aesthetic) but on PC, it has this nasty problem. See, in "Exclusive Fullscreen" it doesn't stop the mouse from leaving the screen. It's a game that requires a mouse cursor. I, however, have a dual monitor setup, so I can easily click something on the other screen while I'm playing. This would not be the end of the world usually, but what it does when the mouse clicks off the game is it minimizes the game and doesn't pause it. This is uninstallingly frustrating considering how quickly the puzzles go from "haha a mechanic" to "Mouse Action Puzzle Game With A Loud Whining Crowd Whenever You Fail." So, if you have two monitors, do not buy this game on PC. Otherwise it seems neat.

KILLER INSTINCT [4, provisionally]
My main Steam Sale pickup (other than KOF 13), and at the moment I'm in love with it. After spending a solid year grinding in Tekken, playing a game that is less demanding on execution is a god-send, especially since the game finds other ways to be fun like making you actively think during combos. I'm still in the phase where I'm getting my ass kicked with great regularity, but I have a character (Kim Wu) and I'm fascinated to learn more about how this game works. Extremely satisfied with my time so far.

KING OF FIGHTERS XIII [4]
look i'm an old KOF fan even though I am TRASH at the game so like idk man it's got the good sprites and my team's in here (Iori/Maxima/Andy). I'm good.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Got my 156th Platinum trophy with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for PS4. The flying controls are complete garbage, but a lot of the game was fun. The last 3 levels seemed a little rushed where the minikits/Stan Lee were easy to find. Open world events/races were fun. I guess I'll do this again on PS3 someday.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:32 PM, christopher.annino said:

If anybody's been holding off on Fire Pro World for PS4, it's like $15 in their End Of Year Sale. Some of the DLC is discounted as well!

I was hoping I could find a physical copy for cheap, but everywhere I've seen it's $35-45. I guess this'll have to do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 156th Platinum trophy with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for PS4. The flying controls are complete garbage, but a lot of the game was fun. The last 3 levels seemed a little rushed where the minikits/Stan Lee were easy to find. Open world events/races were fun. I guess I'll do this again on PS3 someday.

I have the PS3 platinum and yeah, flying races suuuuuck. Thankfully they improved flying a lot with later Lego Marvel/DC games. 

Speaking of platinums on PS3, I had been working for months on the daunting task of Rayman Legends, and just lost all my progress since September - the last time my save uploaded to the cloud. That's a hardcore punch in the dick. Fuck. Really unhappy...

40 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Speaking of platinums on PS3, I had been working for months on the daunting task of Rayman Legends, and just lost all my progress since September - the last time my save uploaded to the cloud. That's a hardcore punch in the dick. Fuck. Really unhappy...

Oh yikes, Rayman Legends. Apparently, it will take FOREVER to get to the final level of awesome. Glitched Murray diamond ranks is the way to do it.

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Oh yikes, Rayman Legends. Apparently, it will take FOREVER to get to the final level of awesome. Glitched Murray diamond ranks is the way to do it.

I was pretty far into it, still a month or two of daily play off but lost SO much progress that I have zero desire to do it again - plus I'm simultaneously working on the PS4 version so I'll just stick with that.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, SirFozzie said:

Phoenix Point "Virtual XCom successor" released today.

I hope next time Julian Gallop shows up to a major convention of some kind, a Phoenix Point backer tries to get him to autograph a screenshot of his company claiming getting all that extra Epic Games money would help guarantee a bug-free release.

• Haha 1

Beat new star wars game.  Pretty good.  Didn't like all the narrow passages and sliding  parts.  It's equivalent to how Spider Man had that game that was good last year.  The secrets play out closer to how Arkham Asylum and those newer Tomb Raider games did it.  You can plainly see on the map where the hell you've been and what the hell you've not done.  22 hours 93% complete and I'm done.  Also, used the Origin access thing and played it on PC.  It's just a damn video game.  You go around looking for power ups and secrets.  You fight mooks and bosses.  You do some low level Zelda shit.  You upgrade your health and magic.  The wookies look like shit.  You yell at the TV when some bullshit kills you.  I went through the whole game not getting my shit trounced. Then that last boss has some False King Allant power draining grapple.  Could've put my fist through a wall.  I was bellowing.  That's how you tell you're having fun.  Bad games get turned off.  Good games invite self flagellation.  I only took about 6 attempts, but you get deep in like No Mercy triple threat ladder matches blown at the last second.  Killed the flow.  I sound like I went to a concert.

Some of the tertiary darth souls derivations seem bizarrely beholden to.  What was the purpose of the "soul recovery" mechanic in this context?  Single button mashing QTEs during boss fights just seemed unnecessary.  Added nothing.  It ain't a slam dunk no brainer like Spidey 2018.  It is the type of straight ahead game they just don't make enough of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1