DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

That's good to hear. My TV is a newer smart TV, so it might support UHD but I'm not entirely sure. Or care really, because 4K makes me feel sick.

Thanks @Raziel. The money I save in buying this bundle over the Pro will go towards buying some games (Walmart has Spider-Man GOTY for like $15).

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You can also find Horizon Zero Dawn GOTY pretty cheap and that is a must buy too

Is that the "Complete Edition" version of the game? Because that's in the bundle I'm going to end up getting (along with God of War and Last Of Us: Remastered).

Guest The Magnificent 7
41 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 154th Platinum trophy with 007 Legends! I DO NOT recommend that you get this game. The gameplay is mostly broken and it seems very rushed and unpolished.

My memory may be a little hazy, but I could swear probably a decade ago on this board, you had whined over the top about the difficulty of a game and many of us took you to task over it.

Now every time I see you post about getting a platinum I think man this dude is taking on some challenges and besting them with some dedication and determination.

I mean this 100% as a compliment. Good on ya. 

If it’s a case of mistaken identity due to failing memory good on ya anyway. 

1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

My memory may be a little hazy, but I could swear probably a decade ago on this board, you had whined over the top about the difficulty of a game and many of us took you to task over it.

Now every time I see you post about getting a platinum I think man this dude is taking on some challenges and besting them with some dedication and determination.

I mean this 100% as a compliment. Good on ya. 

If it’s a case of mistaken identity due to failing memory good on ya anyway. 

No, you're correct. I would complain quite a bit about the games I would play in the past. Whenever I would post that a game is terrible....believe me, it's terrible and I have the Platinum to prove it now lol.

I managed to do Killzone 2 Platinum (still one of the toughest ones I've ever done and the most rewarding), Warhawk (300+ hours of grinding), Starhawk (less grinding but still a lot). I also got 100% of the trophies in Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 for PS3. I kinda wish I did SOCOM Confrontation, MAG, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift but what can you do.

007 Legends was really tough to do, especially the level trials and challenge modes. I'm either going to finish up Medal of Honor Warfighter (there's a trophy to complete the game without dying otherwise it wipes your progress and you have to start over) or do LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for PS4 (because doing tough as nails Platinums gets old after awhile).

Edited by Andrew POE!

Guest The Magnificent 7
51 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

No, you're correct. I would complain quite a bit about the games I would play in the past. Whenever I would post that a game is terrible....believe me, it's terrible and I have the Platinum to prove it now lol.

I managed to do Killzone 2 Platinum (still one of the toughest ones I've ever done and the most rewarding), Warhawk (300+ hours of grinding), Starhawk (less grinding but still a lot). I also got 100% of the trophies in Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 for PS3. I kinda wish I did SOCOM Confrontation, MAG, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift but what can you do.

007 Legends was really tough to do, especially the level trials and challenge modes. I'm either going to finish up Medal of Honor Warfighter (there's a trophy to complete the game without dying otherwise it wipes your progress and you have to start over) or do LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for PS4 (because doing tough as nails Platinums gets old after awhile).

Hopefully you are still having some fun with these challenges as I feel like Liam Neeson here when I think of some of these trophies you are suffering through to 100% all these games. 

If I was one of the harsh critics in that old thread way back you have more than earned respect many times over.  Hats off to you. 

Holy shit Horizon Zero Dawn is a really good game. Can’t remember the last time I was actually invested in a story like this and I’m only like 3 hours into the game. I’m dying to know what happened to this world, why there are machines everywhere, how they got there and who is making new ones. Is Aloy a clone or a test tube baby? So many questions!

I booted up Last Of Us when I got my PS4 set up, and... fuck, those first 5 minutes are bruuuuutal. Not at all how I thought the story was going to go. You see the cover art, and who you’re playing as when the game starts, and you make assumptions. Then the game just rips your heart out as soon as you start playing.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

DEATH STRANDING [4]
hiking to episodes of the world's worst fiction podcast that has the most expensive fan animation possible. i'll probably 100% it.

POKEMON SWORD [3]
Let's be perfectly clear: I think this game is bad. The circumstances I have received it under (sent to me by someone who is going through A Lot to have something to talk to them about) mean that I'm glad to have it and glad to play it, but holy shit man. I don't know what you'd call the uncanny valley in terms of architecture and world design, but it's in here. The inside of every building feels wrong. Impossible. It's deeply unsettling. Also, the game is significantly easier than the last pokemon game I played (Moon) but with no charm, just perverted towers and an online mode that lets you see other people at the cost of around 40FPS. A Mess.

KILLER QUEEN BLACK [4]
An amazing game piled to the top with smart ideas. It launched on PC and Switch, and it immediately had both Crossplay and the ability to play all four players of a team on one system. The game has a spectate mode, and the spectate mode latches onto one game at a time so when you want to take a break but still watch the game to learn about it, you and your friends are watching the same game to learn from it. It's got two buttons (Jump and Action), three win conditions, ways to counter all of them, and a bunch of maps played in random orders. It's just fantastic.

Killer Queen was awesome. I played it in an arcade, and it was pretty fun. 

Pokemon is a bad game, and you still gave it a three? What did you like about it?

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

POKEMON SWORD [3]
Let's be perfectly clear: I think this game is bad. The circumstances I have received it under (sent to me by someone who is going through A Lot to have something to talk to them about) mean that I'm glad to have it and glad to play it, but holy shit man. I don't know what you'd call the uncanny valley in terms of architecture and world design, but it's in here. The inside of every building feels wrong. Impossible. It's deeply unsettling. Also, the game is significantly easier than the last pokemon game I played (Moon) but with no charm, just perverted towers and an online mode that lets you see other people at the cost of around 40FPS. A Mess.

I agree with this. I’ve only played a few hours of it, but there has been no challenge whatsoever, and it’s made me put it down. Reading other reactions to it, and seems like there isn’t any in the later half either. It sucks because I thought this would be the game to get me to use my Switch again since Fire Emblem, but this sadly isn’t it. 

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Killer Queen was awesome. I played it in an arcade, and it was pretty fun. 

Pokemon is a bad game, and you still gave it a three? What did you like about it?

So my 4 point scale means an extremely specific thing
1 = I hate this game
2 = I regret playing this game
3 = I don't regret playing this game
4 = I love this game

So, while Pokemon Sword is pretty objectively bad, the circumstances in which I've got it and the person I'm sharing the time with make up for that deficit.

Put another way, one can play a bad game and have a good time. That's a 3 on my scale. one can play a good game and have a bad time. That'd be a 2 for me.

• Like 1

I beat games this month. I beat Yakuza 2 (original, PS2) yesterday. Did not want to overcome the PS2 jank enough to do every side mission, but I'm OK with that because Yakuza 2 is easily, easily, easily has the best main storyline of any Yakuza game I've played. With that said, I've played and beat Yakuza 1 (also the PS2 version), 2, 3, 4 and 5. Which means I am one of the only Yakuza diehard fans to have not played 0 yet. Top of my list of games to play early next year, and holding off on playing it has saved me a ton of money cause that shit is 10 bucks on Amazon right now.

The week before I beat Donkey Kong on the Game Boy. If you don't know about Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, it isn't exactly Donkey Kong on the Game Boy. It's actually a puzzle platformer with 100 levels, introduced a huge amount of the current Mario control scheme (backflips, rope twirling, rolling after a fall, etc.), launched the excellent Mario vs. Donkey Kong series and is a true contender for best Game Boy game ever. As far as quality, content and accessibility are concerned I think it's one of the first games any Game Boy collector should buy. It's in a very small group of OG Game Boy games that feel completely fresh and playable now.

Before that, I beat Super Mario Galaxy 2. Weird game. It's brilliant in more ways that I can count, with some of the smartest 3D platformer design I've ever encountered, one of those "here's some more" sequels that takes a winning formula and gives you a big, rich second helping of something you already loved. But it feels like less than the sum of it's parts - I'm one of those insufferable types that thinks Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario, and I guess I'm a sucker for atmosphere, a sense of place, cohesion, whatever. As far as running and jumping from Point A to Point B it's an absolute masterwork but looking at it as anything but a collection of great levels makes my eyes blurry.

Prior to SMG2 I knocked out a long-awaited expensive SNES cartridge, E.V.O.: The Search For Eden. An old Enix joint that inspired other flawed passion projects like Cubivore and Spore. The gameplay isn't exactly the main draw - you're a constantly evolving critter who upgrades his appendages piecemeal, trudging through the eras of prehistoric Earth until you evolve into an early human and bonk the bad guys. Rudimentary side scrolling bolstered by a very effective concept. Great game if you have weird tastes.

And before that, I finally knocked out Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Best JRPG on the Switch so far, or at least until the Xenoblade remaster drops next year. I can't imagine playing it on anything other than Hard/Classic, though, the difficultly swung between just right and too-easy-for-the-series (not that I'm a huge fan or anything). But I was METICULOUS. Every party member between level 45-47 before the last mission, every Support between the units I preferred maxed out, way too much money in the bank, most units with at least one skill in S rank... would have had the best weapons for everybody but fuck if I ever had enough Wootz Steel. I played Golden Deer, loved the majority of the characters, felt that the story wrapped up in a satisfactory way... it's crazy to think of how much content is still left on the cartridge. I'm waiting for the huge April DLC dump to even consider another playthrough. This JRPG ensemble schoolyard epic has been a formula that's been working on me, playing FE3HPersona, Valkyria Chronicles 2, even Danganronpa in the past few years... I know it's hokey as shit, but it WORKS!

• Like 1

Got my 13th Platinum for Watch Dogs 2. Had all but one, and the one I didn't have was for taking a photograph of someone vomiting. So my final experience with the game consisted of wandering around the dodgy parts of Oakland, following drunkards in the hope that one would puke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got MK11 and Sekiro for PS4 for $27 USD w/tax apiece today from Best Buy.

Then I promptly went online and bought MK11's character pass for twenty bucks since it's half-off in Sony's Black Friday sale. 

It pays to wait on all of Netherrealm's games. 

19 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I got MK11 and Sekiro for PS4 for $27 USD w/tax apiece today from Best Buy.

Then I promptly went online and bought MK11's character pass for twenty bucks since it's half-off in Sony's Black Friday sale. 

It pays to wait on all of Netherrealm's games. 

Enjoy Sekiro... Always play aggressively while fighting enemies, and guard when you have to.

• Thanks 1