DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

All you need to do is look at who made Jedi: Fallen Order. That will tell you everything you need to know about why this Star Wars game is probably the best one to be released in years. Respawn is just so fucking god at nearly everything they do. They made the best CoD games before their falling out with Activision (if anyone remembers that), Titanfall was solid, Titanfall 2 was even better and had one of the best single player stories I've played in this generation, Apex Legends is fucking outstanding, and they're still supposedly working on another Titanfall game.

If I didn't just buy Outer Worlds a couple weeks ago and didn't just get Luigi's Mansion 3 for a Christmas present then I probably would buy Fallen Order. I still will at some point.

I finally beat Dead Cells!  Twice in a row, in fact. The last boss can eat a dick!

For whatever reason I'm not getting the boss stem cells from him  that I need to progress to the postgame stuff, so that sucks.

Wal-Mart has a PS4 1TB bundle that comes with digital download codes for God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn: The Complete Edition and The Last of Us: Remastered for $199 as a part of their Black Friday deals (but it's starting online on 11/27 @ 10PM, and on 11/28 at 6PM).

I guess it's time for me to get a PS4 finally, even though I barely use my Xbox One. But there's too many good PS4 exclusive games for me to pass up on this. Plus things like Spider-Man: Game Of The Year Edition is only $15, Sekiro & MK11 are $25, etc.

Fuck. Merry Christmas to me, I guess. Good thing these next couple of paychecks will have hella overtime on them due to the holidays.

• Like 1

I have taken characters through both sides of the SWTOR expansion.

It's pitiful. The second area has identical quests for both factions during the middle section of the story. The final part on Corellia is a flashpoint that bugs out the companion several times. Even me, slow and ADHD addled, can get through the new story in less than 5 hours. 

To be honest, the only good part is the return of a couple of characters from the Jedi Knight class story. There is some set up for future stories someday maybe eventually, but how in the hell do you spend a year or more working and only churn out 2 planets and a flashpoint? 

Real disappointing. 

• Like 1

Finished The Outer Worlds last night. It was so fucking good, but it was short and I miss it already. Considering the map and its many planets, maybe we can get a little DLC, which I think that Obsidian might have already said they're doing.

It's back to Luigi's Mansion 3 for me, though I'm looking to snag MK11 and Sekiro cheaply on Black Friday, so I need to finish LM3 soon.

Outer Worlds was cool but it really fizzles out in the last third through having absolutely nothing interesting to say about the subject matter at all. The game also suffers from a very Mass Effect 1 loot feel where you spend a lot of time getting 5000 trash guns. Still, for a first effort in a new franchise it's good and I have every confidence a sequel can be even better.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Sword & Shield looks so great. First time I've not just bought a big holidays video game release right away in forever, so bring forth Christmas.

Playing it right now, and I'm enjoying it...but it's my first Pokemon game as well, so I'm not as in tune with the reasons it's so controversial either, so YMMV if you're a big Pokemon fan.

With Pokemon it's basically you're either okay with the entire Pokedex not being there or you're not.  It's such a divisive topic but if you take that out of the equation according to my wife it's a blast to play.  The only thing worth pointing out is until they patch it make sure to turn off autosave.  If the game installs on the SD card having autosave on can and likely will wipe out your SD card.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, Casey said:

Wal-Mart has a PS4 1TB bundle that comes with digital download codes for God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn: The Complete Edition and The Last of Us: Remastered for $199 as a part of their Black Friday deals (but it's starting online on 11/27 @ 10PM, and on 11/28 at 6PM).

I guess it's time for me to get a PS4 finally, even though I barely use my Xbox One. But there's too many good PS4 exclusive games for me to pass up on this. Plus things like Spider-Man: Game Of The Year Edition is only $15, Sekiro & MK11 are $25, etc.

Fuck. Merry Christmas to me, I guess. Good thing these next couple of paychecks will have hella overtime on them due to the holidays.

Sony is marking down the PS4 Pro to $299 starting on Sunday. I have a launch day console that I'll probably trade in to Best Buy and upgrade.

Also, Best Buy has a Jedi: Fallen Order Xbox One X Bundle marked down to $350 for BF.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:13 AM, supremebve said:

As someone who knows nothing about Pokemon, this just looks like a still from any generic RPG, what am I missing?

I watched some Twitch streams over the weekend, and this doesn't seem to have veered too much from the Gameboy red and yellow formula. I know people love these, and I love a good turn based RPG, but it just seems boring to me.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Sony is marking down the PS4 Pro to $299 starting on Sunday. I have a launch day console that I'll probably trade in to Best Buy and upgrade.

Also, Best Buy has a Jedi: Fallen Order Xbox One X Bundle marked down to $350 for BF.

It's too late for me, I think. I would have traded in my launch PS4 for a Pro at that price, but with PS5 only a year out, I'll just wait and get one of those at launch. 

That's a good deal for people who are interested, though, especially if they're not into getting a launch PS5. 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

As someone who maybe uses his Xbox One twice a week for a few hours at a time... should I go for the PS4 Pro deal, or the regular bundle I mentioned? To be perfectly honest I use my Xbox One more for Netflix, Hulu, BR Live, etc. than I do video games. But there's a lot of stuff on the PS4 I want to play. But I'm not big on 4K gaming (or movies), etc. Hell I'm not even sure my TV supports 4K, actually.

The only thing the Pro really makes a difference on is Control (which is unplayable on a non-Pro PS4 without a massive patch), and VR stuff.  Honestly if you're not on a TV that supports UHD, a Pro isn't really worth it over a Slim.  

• Like 1