DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

So I played a bit of Dead Cells back when it was in early access, it was already great, but then put it down to stop myself from burning out before it was done. Kind of just forgot about it for a while until I saw today they just added another new content update, decided to fire it up.

Holy shit, they've added a ton in the last year+. This game's awesome, I really need to put more time into it.

So I'm giving AC: Odyssey another shot, and having it on Easy and taking my time through things and it's more enjoyable than my first attempt, although I'm kind of avoiding territory battles, not really hunting mercernaries, and not at all looking to min/max kit, but I'm having a slightly better time of it.  It almost makes me wonder if i want to take another crack at The Last of Us since I have the Remastered version for PS4.  

I bought Luigi's Mansion and I'm dying to play it with my daughter, but alas, it's a Christmas present so it needs to stay wrapped up. This is the umpteenth time my wife and I have had to do this and it's almost convinced me to buy a second Switch. 

I want to phrase this in the most neutral way I can. 

I think from what I'm seeing, Death Stranding is going to be super-popular with the subset of gamers that have never been exposed to Weird Narrative Media outside of games (EG. things like Tarkovsky's "Stalker").

I haven't actually decided if it's good or not yet.

It's really weird, but what I've seen (about the first 3-4 hours), I know it's gonna have the massive Kojima narrative swerve exposition drop somewhere in the middle of the game.  But the narrative style, along with the gameplay I've seen that despite myself, I'm not watching anymore of it and am going to pick it up one of these days when it goes on sale.  It's really weird, but in a "I want to see where it goes and I'd rather be the one driving when I do it" kinda way.

I bought Terry Bogard for Smash and one of the musical tracks that comes with him IS A REMIX OF PSYCHO SOLDIER'S THEME FUCK YESSSSSSS

Holy shit, this brings me back to when I was four and my parents would take me to the arcade. I had to stand on a booster just to see the screen. Fuck yes, I love that theme and that game, actually. 

I started on Death Stranding after pretty much ignoring the reviews. So far I actually like it -- it's sorta like the first time I played Demon's Souls where the game isn't trying to hold your hand through it.

I also found it strangely emotional for me and I'm through the prologue. It's interesting that a lot of the trailers were what appeared in the final game, even from the beginning.

A friend told me about Atlas last night and then I watched the trailer and was losing my mind with how great it is. Then I found out it is basically a re-skin of Ark and my heart dropped. I wish a company that isn't bad at making video games would make something like Atlas. Basically D&D meets Sea of Thieves MMO. 

• Thanks 1

I'd honestly trust the No Man's Sky devs more than I'd trust the devs of ARK and No Man's Sky still hasn't delivered on like a quarter of the bullshit they claimed they were going to do. But shit, at least they've tried to make things right and have given their (initially completely broken) game good post-launch support.

• Like 1

I was super gung  ho for NMS, but balked when the initial reviews were so poor. But my time I got it on Xbox, they had fixed enough things to enjoy it. 

these days, console wise, it’s a little NMS and a little RDR2 every day. 

22 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I bought Terry Bogard for Smash and one of the musical tracks that comes with him IS A REMIX OF PSYCHO SOLDIER'S THEME FUCK YESSSSSSS

Holy shit, this brings me back to when I was four and my parents would take me to the arcade. I had to stand on a booster just to see the screen. Fuck yes, I love that theme and that game, actually. 

When they played it during the presentation, it sound so freakin familiar I had to ask a friend if it was from the anime. That tune rooted deep into me from the arcades.

Still can't believe they just went and greenlit ALL the songs. Square just comes off as chumps comparatively.

• Like 1

So, no spoilers here.Three days of Death Stranding stream watching and I will say I've concluded it's a game I enjoy, but not in the ways I would have potentially expected. Like, I was open to the idea I'd find the plot intriguing enough to overcome the limited gameplay, but it's been the opposite. I honestly don't really give much of a care about whatever the plot is. It's very weird, it's fine for what it is, but it doesn't really matter to me much other than trying to guess what crazy bullshit will happen next. There is more humour in the game than I expected. Little lowkey slice of life stuff happening in this bizarre sci fi world, but it's not on it's own enough to make it a recommend. The big surprise is that I find the UPS Delivery Man parts... very watchable, enjoyable, even entertaining. It's very hard to explain why. There's not a lot of action. The game is not nearly as weird horror as it tries to sell itself, but that makes the weird horror stuff more interesting. There's a bit of, like, American Truck Simulator in there. A bit of build/craft/survive games but somehow they cut about 90% of that shit and boiled it down to a long walk phase. There's a multiplayer component where you get likes for building stuff in the world that is helpful, and the likes do absolutely nothing except make you feel good maybe. It doesn't even sound interesting when I type it out, but somehow it's incredibly watchable to me? I saw actually nothing in the previews for this game that really pushed any buttons for me so this has all been a pleasant surprise. The whole game has an ambient experience quality that is hard to actually describe, but absolutely exists. People saying there's never been another game quite like it ever made are telling the truth, because finding actual comparables for what Death Stranding is seems nearly impossible.

If you see a stream or video for half an hour or so and say to yourself "... is this it?" the answer is probably yes, it's probably not a game for you, and that's fine also.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, turk128 said:

Sakurai dragging the dirty masses to the knowledge tree and eat of the Fatal Fury fruit. Seriously, he's a huge SNK geek.

Best bit was him pointing out that his down-throw was from Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition just to out-dork everybody who thought they didn't need a lesson.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, Andrew POE! said:

I forgot to mention that I got my 153rd Platinum trophy with Pic-a-Pix Color for PS4. Nice cleanser after doing some hard Platinums like Sly 3, God of War III and Lost Planet III.

Never thought I'd see a Pic-a-Pix Color mention here! It was my pre-bed chill for a bit. First puzzle reveals the picture, then the second is a desperate few seconds trying to work out what the hell the picture is meant to be before the punchline of the game telling you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Salads said:

Best bit was him pointing out that his down-throw was from Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition just to out-dork everybody who thought they didn't need a lesson.

Never thought I'd see a Pic-a-Pix Color mention here! It was my pre-bed chill for a bit. First puzzle reveals the picture, then the second is a desperate few seconds trying to work out what the hell the picture is meant to be before the punchline of the game telling you.

Yeah, I followed a guide to get the Platinum. Did the same on the Vita version and will do the same for the European/UK version (when I get to it).

I tend to try to play/Platinum everything nowadays that I have on PS3, PS4, and Vita including some hard/obscure/weird games. I have a Switch and there are some games I will play, but not nearly as often as the PlayStation.

Trying to Platinum 007 Legends currently and it's somewhat hard.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, Raziel said:

So I'm giving AC: Odyssey another shot, and having it on Easy and taking my time through things and it's more enjoyable than my first attempt, although I'm kind of avoiding territory battles, not really hunting mercernaries, and not at all looking to min/max kit, but I'm having a slightly better time of it.  It almost makes me wonder if i want to take another crack at The Last of Us since I have the Remastered version for PS4.  

Yes, you should. Push through the early part of the game and then it suddenly becomes amazing. 

13 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I'd give the same advice about Death Stranding.  You get to kill ghosts with grenades made out of your piss and shit.

YOU GET TO KILL GHOSTS WITH GRENADES MADE OUT OF YOUR PISS AND SHIT

GOTY

Death Stranding is looking more, and more likely I’m picking it up by the end of the month.