DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

My tv is unhooked as my wall took in water again so I've been playing more Switch the past couple days.  Fired up MUA3 for the first time since the update and Gauntlet seems to be a decent way to grind your team enough to beat a boss fight if you get stuck, better than Rifts at least.  I just want to unlock Moon Knight, even if he's not wearing the kickass Shalvey costume.

So, while I was picking up The Outer Worlds yesterday, I also picked up the Yooka-Laylee sequel because I heard about it on GB and thought it sounded neat. I played through a level. The character models are ugly as sin, like my goodness, the shit is hideous. It does have that corny N64-era Rare humor, though. I'm really waiting for the levels to open up and to play through them multiple times because there are two cool conceits to this game, and one of them is that you can alter the landscape on the map screen, which then alters the levels that are accessible on that part of the map. 

The second cool conceit is that they totally stole the "go beat the final boss whenever you want to" conceit from Breath of the Wild; the final level to beat the boss is Nintendo Hard, but you can try to beat it from the jump or you can beat levels on the map screen. Each time you beat a level, you free a little bee soldier that buzzes around you and works as a shield. Each bee = one more hit that you can take when you're in the final boss level. You can try to do that shit bee-free, or you can gather as many bees as you think you need to get through that Impossible Lair and to beat the final boss. That's a dope-ass way to present the final boss challenge. 

• Like 1

Ohhhh shiiiiit. Unless I misread the couple articles I looked at, NCAA will allow players to be paid for their likeness, names, etc. The impact to video games is that this opens the door back up to NCAA Football.

I used to and would again gladly buy NCAA Football over Madden each year. Make it happen!!

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Ohhhh shiiiiit. Unless I misread the couple articles I looked at, NCAA will allow players to be paid for their likeness, names, etc. The impact to video games is that this opens the door back up to NCAA Football.

I used to and would again gladly buy NCAA Football over Madden each year. Make it happen!!

I'm a little surprised they rolled over for CA so readily. I'd have expected them to do something like this at the last minute in 2023.

That said, without a collective bargaining structure it's still gonna be hard for them to herd all the cats necessary to get NCAA football and basketball games out again IMO.

PS4 version of Williams Universal Monsters for PFX3 got pushed back a week, so I did the least responsible thing and bought it on Switch.  And wow, playing it with the Flip Grip is cool as hell.  It will be a long long time before I double dip on all 93 tables, but i like it enough to at least buy the Williams stuff and a few of my favorite Marvel tables.

Some of the reviews of the Lite make it out to be pretty bleh.  Great if you want to play Pokemon or something low end, but anything that has motion Joycon support or pro-controller makes better is out of the question.

Left 4 Dead 2 is still a wonderfully fun game. It's an absolute pain in the ass to purchase and download on the Xbox One but with optimization for the X, it looks beautiful and is worth the hassle. Back 4 Blood is going to be the best if they don't fuck anything up. 

DEPIXTION [3]
Picross but a 12x12 grid and you're solving Red, Yellow, and Blue layers to make a full colored image. This sounds amazing. It's... okay. Here's the problem. Sometimes you solve "what is that supposed to be" before you're done with all three color layers, and so it makes it feel like busy work to finish it. Also, it never does the colors in an order aside from Red, Yellow and Blue, which lends to a general sameness in the execution of everything, which I know is a hell of a thing to say about a Picross game but it's true. There's some fucking jams on the soundtrack though, so, if you want to play a weird Picross variant and love overly computerized funk, this is a good time.

DISCO ELYSIUM [4]
This might be the game of the year, but I wont know until I finish it some time next year. It's got so much going for it. Like... okay, I'm at a point where I want a game to be something for me other than power fantasy. I've done a lot of power fantasy in my life. I want more varied experiences. Disco Elysium is doing that for me.

Premise-wise, it's starting in a standard place. You have amnesia. You have been Up To Some Shit. You need to figure out what, and what to do about what you're expected to do next.

It plays like the old Infinity Engine stuff, but with absolutely no combat. Everything is ten layers of speech and dexterity checks. But it's not just speech and dexterity. You have 24 different traits that you're in constant struggle with, old ways of thinking from an old life. Some of them are persuasive. Some are creative. Some are invasive. Depending on how you're doing managing these internal mechanisms, you'll end up performing differently in the world. Dialogue options change, options open up, even perception transforms itself if you do well enough. If I went on too long about this system it would seem like i am trying to sell you something. Suffice it to say, a roleplaying game where you have no real experience with your past aside from wrestling with these old tightly woven thought patterns and habits counts as "a more varied experience."

The game also has a brilliant way of letting you solve some problems. In addition to the world around you, you have a mechanism that allows your character's brain to process some thoughts in the background, and then hours later you can confront that experience and move forward. This is an ingenous way of letting you try every solution to a problem before going back to another more obvious answer.

Also all of the writing in the game is good so far, and it seems to be About Something. I recommend this game very strongly, and I hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle because it released a week before The Outer Worlds. If Moral Grey Area CRPGs are your thing, Get This.

@Death From Above But they can't have online co-op because what about the safety of the kids? Won't someone please think of the children?!

Actually, my online sub ran out like two weeks ago, and I forgot to start it again, and like, meh. I think I can use that twenty bucks on something else. 

9 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Anyway, Death Stranding reviews are out today. It still looks like video game's answer to Kevin Costner making Waterworld to me.

My wife and I watched the trailer for it last night and she said "Is this a game version of The Postman?"

I would totally play it if it was the video game equivalent of Waterworld tho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

My wife and I watched the trailer for it last night and she said "Is this a game version of The Postman?"

I would totally play it if it was the video game equivalent of Waterworld tho.

Really? Well, have I got a product* for you!

*I actually do own a copy of this game as well as a Virtual Boy. 

Out of 70some reviews on MetaCritic, they are mostly positive with some mediocre and a score of 84/100 which is what I expected. That is except for this one outlier who must not want free review copies anymore. That's not a user review. Strangely, most of their reviews are fairly in-line with everything else on the site, they're not usually this dramatically contrarian, although they did love Mass Effect: Andromeda which nearly got a perfect score. 

Stevivor
Nov 1, 2019
Death Stranding is an irredeemable piece of garbage that should serve as a warning to publishers who give developers carte blanche to create ‘art’.

Edited by Ryan

I guess that I should have mentioned that it is, indeed, awful.

The Virtual Boy does have good games (Vertical Force, Teleroboxer, Galactic Pinball, Mario Tennis, T&E Golf) and one legit great game (Wario Land), but Waterworld is definitely not in either of those categories. 

Question for anyone familiar with the BlazBlue series: Is there any reason to pick up all 4 of the main games (the C-line)?  It looks like they have different story modes?  So does one game pick up where the previous one left off?

I'm going to pick up at least one game in the series.  I'm fine with getting all four.  Just not sure there's any reason to.  I'm a little confused if they are four similar but different games, or if they're basically just expansions of the first game in the series (Calamity Trigger, iirc) similar to the various versions of Street Fighter IV.

Anyone want to clear this up?

Thanks..  

Got my 152nd Platinum trophy with Lost Planet 3. Elements of the game seem like Dead Space, but lack the tension and overall great gameplay of that game. I'm surprised that Capcom didn't release a Lost Planet 3 Remastered during the PS4 gen; the visuals would have been perfect for that.

• Like 1