DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

3 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Star Wars: The Old Republic dropped the Onslaught "expansion", and as expected it is a buggy mess. Story time comes out to roughly 5 hours. Graphical glitches abound. I am not renewing my sub. 

Is Bioware even trying anymore?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

The Outer Worlds looks like a space western version of Fallout and Borderlands, pretty neat so far.

This right here might be the game I’ve been waiting for for a while. Obsidian seemingly hitting a homer with “Fallout in Space” without getting into the micro transaction bullshit. Just a legitimate 1st person shooter RPG with good characters. Fuck yeah to this.

We maaaaaaay need a thread for the Outer Worlds eventually, but for now, apparently, you can play the game now if you switch your region to New Zealand. I'm going to give it a shot in a little bit.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We maaaaaaay need a thread for the Outer Worlds eventually, but for now, apparently, you can play the game now if you switch your region to New Zealand. I'm going to give it a shot in a little bit.

I second this...I'm getting over a cold and the girl is out of town...it's just going to be me, my drawls, and my Xbox all weekend long.

• Like 1

Outer Worlds is also part of Xbox Game Pass, which you can sign up to for $1 right now. 

From what I understand, you can upgrade up to 36 months of Xbox Gold to the Game Pass Ultimate for only $1/month, which is a pretty sweet deal. 

I already feel a cold coming on for tomorrow *coughcough

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Star Wars: The Old Republic dropped the Onslaught "expansion", and as expected it is a buggy mess. Story time comes out to roughly 5 hours. Graphical glitches abound. I am not renewing my sub. 

Meanwhile, I have kind of burned myself out on Final Fantasy 14 for now but at least it's because the game is so good that I played it into the ground until I couldn't bear to look at it for a little while. I still will probably come in for 5.1 to see the new raid content.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

The Outer Worlds looks like a space western version of Fallout and Borderlands, pretty neat so far.

It's the contained planets and space travel of KotOR with the shaping of a region (or series of regions) like New Vegas.

I need it in my hands. Waiting until tomorrow sucks. 

The Outer Worlds is so fucking good. It almost makes me wish I had a PS4 Pro. I'm only an hour or so into it and I love it. I spec'd myself as a big hulking dude with very high strength and intimidation skills and I've mainly stuck to melee weapons. Combat in this is so much better than any Fallout game ever made. The dodge feature and time dilation stuff makes being a melee character viable. I love this shit. Fair amount of humor in the time I've played it as well. Also, to get back to my PS4 Pro comment, it's because this game is colorful and gorgeous. It's probably the best color palette used for this type of game.

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Is Bioware even trying anymore?

Nope. BioWare Austin is catering to the lowest Edgy McEdgelord denominator. And to think, they could've put out something decent, what with the movie hype being somewhere off the scale. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Meanwhile, I have kind of burned myself out on Final Fantasy 14 for now but at least it's because the game is so good that I played it into the ground until I couldn't bear to look at it for a little while. I still will probably come in for 5.1 to see the new raid content.

I got to a point (about halfway through Shadowbringer) with my first attempt at a character (Archer/Bard) where I had done everything wrong and kept dying to mobs, so I've created a few more. Tanking is way more fun than I expected and I'm actually enjoying running the daily duty finder stuff. Crafting is still a slog, but I see they're making some improvements in the next couple of patches that could change my mind about it. 

Tanking is great but I don't know if I want to do that for Alliance Raid. When Gunbringer launched, because of the 1/2/5 format, the Alliance Raid queue hit 45 minutes+ for tank. I don't know if a new raid will be as bad but there's definitely going to be some standing around. I have a healer I could take in there and literally just insta queue, but I'm so rusty with healer it might be an absolute gong show if I do it.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Outer Worlds is so fucking good. It almost makes me wish I had a PS4 Pro. I'm only an hour or so into it and I love it. I spec'd myself as a big hulking dude with very high strength and intimidation skills and I've mainly stuck to melee weapons. Combat in this is so much better than any Fallout game ever made. The dodge feature and time dilation stuff makes being a melee character viable. I love this shit. Fair amount of humor in the time I've played it as well. Also, to get back to my PS4 Pro comment, it's because this game is colorful and gorgeous. It's probably the best color palette used for this type of game.

Yea, this game is awesome.  I’m about 4 hours in and have been sitting here for the last few minutes trying to decide on a decision that neither way feels totally right and I know it’s going to completely change the game no matter which choice I make.  I can’t remember the last time a game has me torn like this so early on.  

Ending up diverting the power to Edgewater.  While my heart was with the deserters, I just felt like it was too early in the game to make enemies with the company who basically runs the entire universe.  

I feel dirty now.

Edited by CSC

Oh God, Outer Worlds is everything that I've wanted since KotOR II and New Vegas. It's so good. It's my GotY already. Obsidian makes the best RPGs, IMO. Even the buggy ones have the best role-playing within them. I know JT is going to shit on this, but Alpha Protocol is a buggy game with meh combat that is legit one of the best actual role-playing games that I've ever played in my life, and of course KotOR II (even in its unfinished state) and New Vegas are insanely good, as are the Pillars of Eternity games. 

Also, the very first mission shouts out Heinlein, so I'm excited to see some of the titles for the missions that come up later in the game. Obsidian is fantastic at naming their quests, which is a low-key important feature of a good RPG that I value. 

1 minute ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Yeah, I think we are gonna need an Outer Worlds thread. I’m getting it tonight hopefully and I have only seen a few minutes but I LOOOOVE it.

Yeah, I'm leaving work at 4:30 and have to go pick up my car...but I plan on diving deep into this game for the rest of the weekend.  Everything I've heard about it makes me feel like I'm the exact audience for the game.  I thought Borderlands 3 was going to be my game of the year, but now I'm not so sure.